brands of oil filters - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)

F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 09-11-2019, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 650i x-drive vert
brands of oil filters

what are good brands of oil filters to use for my 2015 650i x-drive?
I want to change the oil myself, I will not pay the dealership $157!!
Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesugar View Post
Thank you in advance.
Seems like a reasonable price to me. Figure it's about $100 in parts wholesale.....what would you like them to charge for the service?
Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Any German name brand is usually a good start:
  1. Meyle
  2. Bosch
  3. Hegnst
  4. BMW
  5. Mann

And you may want to check your local BMW dealerships PARTS DEPT for the price of the BMW oil filter. The service department can be a totally different experience vs the parts department. Many dealerships parts department will try to price match many online vendors. If they can't get to the lowest price (usually for a lesser aftermarket product)...you still may come out ahead by only having to pay local taxes vs shipping and handling for an online purchase.

When using the local BMW dealership's part department...have the LAST 7 DIGITS OF YOUR VIN ready/handy so that they can pull up the info they need to use the parts database.

You're also going to need a few specific tools (if you don't have them already)...but you'll recover your cost with each DIY oil change.

Here's a DIY that shows how to change the oil on the N63/N63TU engines (if anyone hasn't seen it done before): https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...and_oil_filter

You'll also need (in addition to an oil catch pan)...a tool to remove the oil filter reservoir lid (it's underneath the car)...as well as a socket to remove the oil pan drain plug (I forget the torx size at the time of this reply):

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-11-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 04:55 PM

oil filters

Thanks QSilver7,
the oil can be bought for less than $60 and I was just wondering if the filters sold
at local parts stores were acceptable.
The nearest BMW service center is over 50 miles away one way.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks QSilver7,
the oil can be bought for less than $60 and I was just wondering if the filters sold
at local parts stores were acceptable.
The nearest BMW service center is over 50 miles away one way.
In this case...I would use one of the online part database sites (see below if you're not familiar with any)...and look up the correct 11 digit BMW part nbr based on your VIN. This will help prevent ordering the wrong part for BMW models that are similar but may be slightly different due to changes in production date. Again, just go to one of the sites below...type in the last 7 digits of your VIN...then click your way to the appropriate diagrams which you can then click and it will open into the exploded diagram illustration with the part nbr index list below the diagram:
  1. www.realoem.com
  2. www.bmwfans.info
  3. https://bimmercat.com

Once you have the correct 11 digit BMW part nbr...then type something like "BMW xx xx x xxx xxx" (where x=the actual bmw part nbrs) into a google/internet search box...and you should get plenty of results of vendors selling the part you need.

You should be able to find lots of vendors selling the correct oil filter brand names listed above (yes, even BMW brand) and have it shipped directly to your home's doorstep. You may want to purchase more than one filter to help save shipping/handling costs...besides, you'll be using it within the next year or miles (which ever comes first).

Good luck.
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-12-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:26 AM

oil filters

WoW!!,...thanks again for this info.
I'm sure others will be enlightened.

Last edited by Bluesugar; 09-12-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
Oil filters are peanuts in terms of cost, so why change from BMW if you are doing it yourself. The oil can be a different matter, BMW uses a specific grade of oil, long life oil, yes you can use other brands but will need to reduce the miles between changes, there are lots of opinions on oils and how to maintain your engine, but to be candid as I said the filter itself is peanuts in the scheme of things.

Always said I would go back to a 6 series
Old 09-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650I Coupe
It is reasonable price. I decided to go for an oil change to the dealer because I do not want to make myself dirty for 50 bucks.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagoo98 View Post
Seems like a reasonable price to me. Figure it's about $100 in parts wholesale.....what would you like them to charge for the service?
LOL ^^^^ Tru dat

I ALWAYS get OEM, OIL and FILTER, although I hear that Mahl is good
but stay away from FRAM, they are ****e and you'll end up having a very BAD day
with thoes

I sometimes get my dealer to do the oil, so it's on my key fob,
also my own indy does it for me as well

Anyway, I think around $200 is well worth waiting in the dealer drinking free coffee , using there free wifi and sitting in all the car's I can't afford is well worth the money !
Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyk View Post
It is reasonable price. I decided to go for an oil change to the dealer because I do not want to make myself dirty for 50 bucks.
Don't forget disposal of the oil !
Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 AM

A wise man once said, it doesnt matter what oil and filter you use, as long as you do it frequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
Oil filters are peanuts in terms of cost, so why change from BMW if you are doing it yourself. The oil can be a different matter, BMW uses a specific grade of oil, long life oil, yes you can use other brands but will need to reduce the miles between changes, there are lots of opinions on oils and how to maintain your engine, but to be candid as I said the filter itself is peanuts in the scheme of things.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:44 AM

Yeah I know it's a civic, but DON't be that guy !

Old 09-13-2019, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
As a former manufacturers representative for domestic and imports as well as running retail dealerships of both, two pieces of advice, only use OE filters( they may look the same as a Fram or whatever..but it inside that is important) & and stay away from quick lube, even BMW 30 minute ones ( the oil & filter techs; who were burger flippers last week; are a dealerships best friend for ruined motors.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:35 AM

an oil change is about 30 minutes ? why would you stay away from a express/quick lube at a BMW dealer ? at a jiffy lube or other yes, I've done regular oil changes and know what my dealer does, as it's usually about 6 months when my indy does it for the new season and I can tell if there are any problems, had 2 may be 3 dealer changes and never a problem.

So not sure where that is coming from

drop oil, new filter, put in oil, nothing to go wrong, all OEM parts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ijims View Post
As a former manufacturers representative for domestic and imports as well as running retail dealerships of both, two pieces of advice, only use OE filters( they may look the same as a Fram or whatever..but it inside that is important) & and stay away from quick lube, even BMW 30 minute ones ( the oil & filter techs; who were burger flippers last week; are a dealerships best friend for ruined motors.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
The answer is simple, any quick oil change is afflicted with issues. 1 . Non BMW ( quick lubes) were burger flippers yesterday. 2. straight bmw quicklubes ( I've only seen two) are staffed by a D tech or journeyman techs.Rather not have them practice on my car. But they are still on a "clock". The only form of shop staffing I would allow a bmw quick lube in is lateral support groups, where hands on supervision & work checks exist. They will make 75% less mistakes, no new compression washer on drain plug(s) cross threaded drain plug(s), cross threaded filters, inaccurate oil fills, or "forgotten" fills in haste to get done. I pay $149 for my X5M o/f at my dealer, but I carry a BMW filter in car just in case I need a change on a road trip for some reason. Just my opinion...dunno
Old 09-13-2019, 06:43 AM

So I agree with "non-bmw quick lubes", jiffy lube or even worse walmart LOL

so at my dealer, they have a weekend "quick lube" which is about an hour, normally I can take my car in during the week for a same service, for an oil change and wait there for an hour and it's done. To me this is a quick lube, in reality it takes really around 30 minutes for a lube and another 30 to move the car paperwork, parts etc,

In the case of my dealer not sure what I "should" be doing, leaving the car there and coming back a few hours later, Telling them I don't want a junior working on my car ?

Even JM's make the odd goofs, On my 1'er, washer is integrated, of course it can be cross threaded. Only working off experience 6 months after a dealer oil change is done, the under cover is there, bolt on not x/threaded, the filter and oil changed and the oil cap cover is properly aligned and no oil spilled. Though costing MORE than a DIY or an indy, I know the job is done right, time and time again and properly.

Maybe other dealers or countries (i.e US) I'm a canuk is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ijims View Post
The answer is simple, any quick oil change is afflicted with issues. 1 . Non BMW ( quick lubes) were burger flippers yesterday. 2. straight bmw quicklubes ( I've only seen two) are staffed by a D tech or journeyman techs.Rather not have them practice on my car. But they are still on a "clock". The only form of shop staffing I would allow a bmw quick lube in is lateral support groups, where hands on supervision & work checks exist. They will make 75% less mistakes, no new compression washer on drain plug(s) cross threaded drain plug(s), cross threaded filters, inaccurate oil fills, or "forgotten" fills in haste to get done. I pay $149 for my X5M o/f at my dealer, but I carry a BMW filter in car just in case I need a change on a road trip for some reason. Just my opinion...dunno
Old 09-13-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
Don't forget disposal of the oil !
That's not that difficult to dispose of...even for a DIY'er. Most auto parts stores will take your container and dump it for free. Just have a container that can be sealed (for transport) and has a removable lid so that the oil can be dumped into their oil recovery tank.

My oil catch pan can be sealed. When done I just place it in a large plastic garbage bag (for extra protection against any leakage...throw it in the back of the X5 (or the trunk if I had to use the f06)...then drive to the local Autozone/Advanced Auto/O'Reilly's/etc. They dump the oil and give my container back.

If your oil catch pan is the open kind...then save enough 1 gallon milk jugs (keep the lids) and transfer the old oil to the jugs. Or if you have any other container that can be sealed...you can use that for your old oil to use as a container to transport it to be dumped.
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-13-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
an oil change is about 30 minutes ? why would you stay away from a express/quick lube at a BMW dealer ? at a jiffy lube or other yes, I've done regular oil changes and know what my dealer does, as it's usually about 6 months when my indy does it for the new season and I can tell if there are any problems, had 2 may be 3 dealer changes and never a problem.

So not sure where that is coming from

drop oil, new filter, put in oil, nothing to go wrong, all OEM parts ?
An oil change is a good time to have your car checked for issues that will be coming up in the future by techs who know what they are looking for. You will definitely not get this kind of service with a quick lube as they are just trying to get you out the door as soon as possible. In my opinion, most things done "quickly" are done poorly.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:14 AM

No that's right but it is still something you have to do.

I think another thing people don't think about is there time.

You spend time, shopping for oil, parts and disposal, that is your time, your gas, maybe parking, you then have to spend time doing the job, making sure there are no problems and rectifying, having the right tools, etc etc. It is all unseen costs, and if you where to work it out, it is all a cost.

People think, oh well, 30 bucks for oil 20 for a filter done, but it in actuality it is not, you have a garage, with parts and equipment you have bought, that is all money.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against DIY'ing but there is a hidden cost behind everything we do and our time, which we DONT charge for is one of them,.

Everytime I fix something in my house, sink, etc, I always tell my wife you would have had to pay a plumber 100 bucks for that, least you could do is give us a BJ never happens though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
That's not that difficult to dispose of...even for a DIY'er. Most auto parts stores will take your container and dump it for free. Just have a container that can be sealed (for transport) and has a removable lid so that the oil can be dumped into their oil recovery tank.

My oil catch pan can be sealed. When done I just place it in a large plastic garbage bag (for extra protection against any leakage...throw it in the back of the X5 (or the trunk if I had to use the f06)...then drive to the local Autozone/Advanced Auto/O'Reilly's/etc. They dump the oil and give my container back.

If your oil catch pan is the open kind...then save enough 1 gallon milk jugs (keep the lids) and transfer the old oil to the jugs. Or if you have any other container that can be sealed...you can use that for your old oil to use as a container to transport it to be dumped.
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
Quote:
Thank you in advance.
Coming from 55 years of car experience, this reminds me of the social proverb; "A penny wise and a pound foolish.". The cost of BMW spec oil alone, is ~$10/qt. Of which, you car takes 9.5 qts. Figure any quality filter will run ~$10, you are now @ $105.
Can you safely lift your vehicle perfectly level, so as to allow every drop of old oil to drain? My BMW's are the first cars ever, that I've owned, where the drain plugs are not in a corner, allowing me to just raise one corner. Plus, (I'm sure not by coincidence.) BMW has carefully buried the plugs and filters in the messiest or obscure locations possible as well.
As others have posted, are the tools, your time, effort, and distant potential for mistake worth the $40-45?
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto:
MAHLE Original OX 353/7D ECO Oil Filter I got it on Amazon.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto:
I had to sue Sears for changing my oil on my 92 528. The mechanic put the filter in upside down and oil emptied out of my car. I didn't realize till the next day when I got in my car to go to class and the oil light I have never even seen comes on. I look to see oil all over my engine! I go back to sear long line and I said excuse me! The guy said one minute sir. I said you want me to wait when you probably destroyed my engine in front of all the customers. Lol I never had the manager rush me to my car so quick. So I sued them and my body was immaculate. Turns out one of the mechanics had a new motor and needed a body so I sold it to one of the Sears mechanics and no it wasn't the one who changed my oil.
Old Today, 01:33 PM
Addicted Since '72 2002ti

Mein Auto: 2002, X3(E83)
As a DIY, I have been using Hastings filters and Neo Synthetic Oil for decades on all my vehicles. BMW, Suzuki and Buick. Very satisfied with both products changing the oil every 15K miles/15mo. No problems. I always replace the crush washer on the drain plug.

Last edited by BMWAddict_W; Today at 01:56 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
Today's Posts Search