BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

AC Not Cold Fix.

3K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Joe-BMW 
#1 ·
Of course it's Summer time when you needed most.
Max cold came out the vent 75 Degree F.

AC clutch engages no problem.

So, today hooked up my AC gauges, start the car and turn on the AC.
I charged about 0.200 LBS, and before you know it AC temp dropped down to 40 F. :D

I know there's probably a slow leak, but will deal with it if this doesn't hold.

For now, it's so nice to be able to enjoy AC.:thumbup:

#7 ·
Freon is a brand name, your sys uses R134.:D
Oh OK.

Not to be rude to the responders to this post
so far, but, 16valex has pointed out simply that if you are low on R134 and you have the correct tools, you can give your A/C system a minimal measurable shot to bring it back to a comfortable level for the time being. And over time find out if you have a leak. Very simple post and I understand what he is saying.
He knows what he is doing and I get it.

Cheers.
:thumbup:
Exactly. Being 17 years old refrigerant is going to leak. And yes you're right I have the equipment to evacuate and recharge but why not not try to inject some and take it from there.
I was surprised how quick the temp drop in just .2 LBS.

Stay cool....
:thumbup:

#5 · (Edited)
Not to be rude to the responders to this post
so far, but, 16valex has pointed out simply that if you are low on R134 and you have the correct tools, you can give your A/C system a minimal measurable shot to bring it back to a comfortable level for the time being. And over time find out if you have a leak. Very simple post and I understand what he is saying.
He knows what he is doing and I get it.

Cheers.

#8 ·
EU/ECE, Spanish environmental controls are much tighter than US. An air conditioning technician license is a BIG deal. 500 gram jobber bottles of refrigerant are illegal prohibited in ECE.

#11 ·
I hate the EU. I love Brexit. I'd like to see The Netherlands follow suit.

Interesting. I had a similar problem years ago. I added R134 but I added too much. Turns out that the BMW system requires a specific range of refrigerant by weight. Too much is as bad as too little. So I went to my AC guy and he drained and refilled it. He could not detect a leak. It worked fine for two seasons. I then had to go back again and have it redone. This cycle repeated itself again after two years. However, after my third recharge, I'm now on season four with no issues at all! Go figure... Apparently slow AC leaks can cure themselves. :dunno: Good luck!
Our cars are getting old, and for the most parts I'm impressed with BMW AC. In your case that's strange, but I'm sure you not complained.

I believe that the standard to which IHKA is built allows 10 grams leakage per year, an ounce every three years. My X5 charge is 1.58 pounds +/- 0.03.
Doug, I can't believe your X5 already needed AC work. Mine is still hanging there.

#9 ·
Interesting. I had a similar problem years ago. I added R134 but I added too much. Turns out that the BMW system requires a specific range of refrigerant by weight. Too much is as bad as too little. So I went to my AC guy and he drained and refilled it. He could not detect a leak. It worked fine for two seasons. I then had to go back again and have it redone. This cycle repeated itself again after two years. However, after my third recharge, I'm now on season four with no issues at all! Go figure... Apparently slow AC leaks can cure themselves. :dunno: Good luck!

#15 ·
Yes, that is a tried and true way to find a/c leaks. I think you will find that the e39 a/c system
is very well designed system and from my readings over the years, it seems they are buttoned
up very well and do not experience leak failures too often.

Compressor failures pop up here and there, but for the most part it is a solid system.

The long standing members on this board are not willy nilly about the maintenance of their
cars and like I said earlier, 16Valex knows what he is doing and down the road he will address
his problem if it is deemed necessary.

Cheers.

#19 ·
It aint rocket science... On a similar note Ive installed a few mini split units at work or at least helped out (did most of the work)

Im going to install a mini split unit here at the house, my wife wasn't having it didnt have faith in me... so i went about trying to find someone who would pump it down and finish the gas part,

cant find anyone who will do that with out installing it them selfs and charging like 2,000$

so i just bought the 410 vacuum pump hooked my gauges up to it and boom... done

moral of the story... Its not rocket science.. Its basic refrigerant (and very simple by today's standards)

#27 ·
So I am having similar issues. My AC blows pretty cold from the drivers side and from the passenger, it's barely cool. I think I need a recharge. This doesn't sound like a DIY thing? Do I need to go to the dealer or can any shop handle it? Like a chain?

#30 ·
My AC blows pretty cold from the drivers side and from the passenger, it's barely cool.
Joe-BMW. I am experiencing the same thing after the car has sat since November of last year. Did recharging the system solve the problem and was a leak found? My first thought was that a door on the passenger side of the system was stuck from sitting but your question changed my thinking.

#28 ·
Any shop should have this but you can call and ask? As they fill it up they can test for leaks also.
Takes about an hour to fill up the system, at least it did in my case as it was empty.
I know some people add refrigerant themselves, I would not do that as it is filled by weight and I cant see how much is missing.

#29 ·
no it takes about 5 min to fill the system.. maybe less.

its the pump down and hold that takes the time.. just like in any ac system.. you suck the system down or evacuate the system and then you have to hold the pressure for 30min+

the pump down takes about 5 min as well.. then another 30-40 min hold period to confirm its pumped down and holding pressure, then the recharge about another 5 min and theirs your almost hour

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.