MPG auto reset? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 08-13-2019, 07:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328D
MPG auto reset?

Does anyone know if there is option to have the computer mpg to auto reset every time you fill up? My wife's old 2010 Genesis Coupe did this and I loved the feature. Anytime you added more than 5 gallons of fuel, it would auto reset the average mpg. Not a huge deal, but I would like to have it if it is available either through through the iDrive or coding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
That's a pretty slick idea. BMW reads this board. So, hopefully we'll get it soon. It's a different world when BMW can get ideas from Hyundai. I reset my OBC MPG and MPH when I fill the tank. I guess if you make it automatic by default, you'd also need a way for the owner to turn it off.

There's an auto reset on the Trip Computer, but I think that's every time you start the car.

A friend had a Hyundai back in the 1980's, and it was a absolute POS. The light knob came off in my hand when the car was about three years old, and the also had rust on it... in southern Virginia. Now, the wealthiest person I know drives a Genesis. He's not really a car person though, more of a yacht and airplane person.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 08-13-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
In my F10 the auto-reset only happens when you are parked for 4 hours or more. I wouldn't be surprised if other models have the same reset period.

@alacey, never heard of this before. Interesting feature but I'd want a way to un-auto-reset it as I note these values in my fuel log before I reset them at each fillup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
That's a pretty slick idea. BMW reads this board. So, hopefully we'll get it soon. It's a different world when BMW can get ideas from Hyundai. I reset my OBC MPG and MPH when I fill the tank. I guess if you make it automatic by default, you'd also need a way for the owner to turn it off.

There's an auto reset on the Trip Computer, but I think that's every time you start the car.

A friend had a Hyundai back in the 1980's, and it was a absolute POS. The light knob came off in my hand when the car was about three years old, and the also had rust on it... in southern Virginia. Now, the wealthiest person I know drives a Genesis. He's not really a car person though, more of a yacht and airplane person.
Yeah, when my wife said she wanted to trade in her Lexus for a Hyundai Genesis, I did not know what to think. She only had it for about a year and traded it in on an Infiniti. She doesn't really care what brand or engine it is just as long as she likes the looks of it. It can have a dual over head hamster cage running the dang thing and is slower the the speed of smell, just as long as it looks pretty doing it is all she cares about. Although, that Genesis Coupe 3.8L was fun to drive for what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post
In my F10 the auto-reset only happens when you are parked for 4 hours or more. I wouldn't be surprised if other models have the same reset period.

@alacey, never heard of this before. Interesting feature but I'd want a way to un-auto-reset it as I note these values in my fuel log before I reset them at each fillup.

I agree, and her Genesis had that option as well.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post

I'm an Excel-o-holic. My also record the average speed for each tank of gas in the fuel logbooks. I'm not sure what benefit there is in doing so, but I can calculate the total run time for my cars.

I also calculate an MPG correction factor (Cf) for each tank and since new, where:

Gas Pump MPG = OBC MPG x (1 + Cf).

I had the dealer adjust the Cf on Frau Ptuzer's G01 X3. They said that nobody's ever asked for that to be done before. I figured out how to do my F10's myself using a secret menu on the instrument cluster.

There aren't any hills where I live. So, I don't have to worry about starving the fuel pump on a hill. Having MPG since fill-up means that I can calculate how much fuel I've burned since my last fill-up. Doing this, I regularly run my tanks down to less than 1.5 gallon of fuel left. That saves me at least a dozen trips to the gas station each year between our three cars.

Knowing how much fuel I'll need before filling up means that I can accurately blend 2/3's 93 AKI and 1/3 87 AKI to achieve 91 AKI, saving $3 to $4 per tank.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I would NOT find the "auto-reset" of the average mpg useful. I use the ob-board 'computer' info to track avg mpg between than-fills OR over multiple fill-ups when on a longer trip. Resetting that computation and others in iDrive is pretty easy as is the trip mileage via button on the instrument panel/dash.

That said, what I would find useful would be an additional average mpg track so there could be MPG1 & MPG2 ... one could be a running average over a longer period of time / multiple tanks and the other would be a tank to tank mpg.

As a side note I do find the on-board computational info pretty accurate (for my purposes) I also track all gasoline consumption with corresponding mileage ... less for high accuracy and more out of a habit formed over the years when I was using such records for business expense / tax stuff. Old habits are hard to break :-(
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 08-13-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacey View Post
Yeah, when my wife said she wanted to trade in her Lexus for a Hyundai Genesis, I did not know what to think. She only had it for about a year and traded it in on an Infiniti. She doesn't really care what brand or engine it is just as long as she likes the looks of it. It can have a dual over head hamster cage running the dang thing and is slower the the speed of smell, just as long as it looks pretty doing it is all she cares about. Although, that Genesis Coupe 3.8L was fun to drive for what it was.

I agree, and her Genesis had that option as well.
Frau Putzer's enamored with: shark fins (antenna on the roof) and trapezoidal exhaust tips. She was annoyed when I got a round-tipped 535i instead of a trapezoidal tipped 550i. Inside the car, she wants a grab handle on the ceiling for the front passenger (when I take turns too fast for her), and lots of cup holders.

My manual-transmission 535i only has one cupholder. I tell her that she's the second cup holder. Every time I rip a turn in my ceiling-grab-handle-less Chevy Cobalt, she gets mad at me.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 08-13-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:15 AM

My Cf's since new have been:

E46 M3: -5.0%
F10 535i: +1.7%
G01 X3 xDrive 30i: -3.7%
Chevy Cobalt: . wait for it... 0.3%
Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
I would NOT find the "auto-reset" of the average mpg useful. I use the ob-board 'computer' info to track avg mpg between than-fills OR over multiple fill-ups when on a longer trip. Resetting that computation and others in iDrive is pretty easy as is the trip mileage via button on the instrument panel/dash.

That said, what I would find useful would be an additional average mpg track so there could be MPG1 & MPG2 ... one could be a running average over a longer period of time / multiple tanks and the other would be a tank to tank mpg.

As a side note I do find the on-board computational info pretty accurate (for my purposes) I also track all gasoline consumption with corresponding mileage ... less for high accuracy and more out of a habit formed over the years when I was using such records for business expense / tax stuff. Old habits are hard to break :-(
I generally used one of the two trip meters for long business trips over multiple tanks in past vehicles. I have not needed to use the trip meter yet with my 328d due to its massive range. Most places that I drive to for work are within 275 miles, and I can easily make it there and back on one 15 gallon tank. Anything over 275 miles, I will just fly.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search