2011 f10 limp mode after recall service - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E60
2011 f10 limp mode after recall service

Hi all. My recently purchased 2011 BMW 528i V6 was due 2 recalls. One was for Timing bolts and the other fuel pump. 1 week after the recall was serviced my car showed Drivetrain malfunction along with DSC malfunction codes. The car is in limp mode (slow revs but eventually I could get it to 50mps). However when the car hits 45 it jerks and now I get a tranny malfunction. Feels like its stuck in 1st gear. The car then states to drive to a safe location as once its turned off it will not move. If I unplug the battery for 10 minutes I then get mobility back with same precious errors. My cheap OBD2 tester shows codes U1184 and U1190 but I'm not sure what they means. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750Li
Although I don't have a 5 series, I have a 2010 7 with the n63 engine which has had so many problems. your symptoms sound just like mine but our error codes are different.

Took it to the service center yesterday, I managed to get on the highway somewhat safely and managed to get to 55mph. I would release the gas pedal once I felt the car was about to go into 'high' rpms and eventually limp out.

So I finally made it out of the highway and onto a residential area. After about 100 ft, I get transmission malfunction. My vehicle was struggling to drive the rest of the way to the dealership but I managed to make it.

They told me I need a new transmission and there was a relay that was faulty. I declined the transmission because of the high price but they are changing the relay.
It's a load-shedding relay for the ignition.
Hopefully this helps out with something but I have to get the transmission rebuilt.

This whole thing was after the fact that they changed my valve stem seals back in February of this year.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i MSport
You said you have a V6, but I assume you meant the inline 6 cylinder engine (non-turbo) that was standard in the 528i for 2011--like mine. I had my fuel pump replaced under the recall in the last 12-18 months with no issues except a heavy fuel odor for several days inside the car. It eventually went away. When the car was new it threw a drivetrain malfunction alert and it went into limp mode. I took it to the dealer and I don't recall any major repair. It never happened again. That's all I can add. I would take it to a good indy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will look into the relay to see if its faulty. Yes the car is an inline 6. I spoke to my service advisor and she will reach out to a manager to see if anything can be done since it's so close to the recall service period. I will keep my fingers crossed and update you.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:31 AM

So my advisor came back and said one of the codes is related to the Oxygen Sensor but would that cause the car to show Drive train and DSC malfunction and cause the card to run in limp mode? I'm still waiting for the results of the 2nd code.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:07 PM

They could not quite give me an answer for the second code. However they said it looks like a bad DME. They offered a complimentary diagnostic. So I will have the car towed next week

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search