Anyone else have an i8 lemon? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i8 I12 (2014 - Current)

BMW i8 I12 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i8 is a carbon fiber and aluminum hybrid halo car.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: i8
Anyone else have an i8 lemon?

Mine has had a host of issues, which have taken over two years to fix properly, and countless trips to the dealer. Over a month out of service in total, and I've put less than 10,000 miles on it in that time because it has so many issues. From coolant problems to engine stalls to trunk failures and more, it just keeps going back in again and again for the same issues.

Is this common? I ask because I'm looking at buying the roadster version (my dealership is taking orders now) and I don't want another nightmare. It's cost me almost $5/mile at this rate to own it because of all the downtime.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 PM

Since I posted this, it went back into the shop for a couple days, came out, and is back there now. I don't know whether this is "common" to i8's (in which case I'll wait a year or two before replacing it), or if I just got a crappy one. May have to go back to a 760 as a daily driver for a bit.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:02 PM

It's still in the shop. Would really love feedback from any other i8 owners. I am seriously considering not buying the roadster if these are all lemons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 AM

It came out for a day, and is now back again. Frustrating at a minimum. Will post its service history in another thread if there is interest.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Ended up figuring it all out from the invoices. All-in, I am 305 days without the vehicle, 128 of which were at the various dealerships. Here's the history on it:

04/16/2016 Delivery of vehicle

06/16/2016 In for service: Insufficient battery range and incorrect service indicators on iDrive, iDrive phone disconnections
06/16/2016 Vehicle returned to customer (same day)

08/19/2016 In for service: Insufficient battery range, trunk mechanism inoperable, coolant warning issue, iDrive phone disconnections
09/17/2016 Vehicle returned to customer (30 days)

10/06/2016 In for service: Insufficient battery range, iDrive phone disconnections, coolant warning issue, window regulator, trunk mechanism inoperable
10/24/2016 Vehicle returned to customer (19 days)

05/04/2017 In for service: Insufficient battery range, iDrive phone disconnections, coolant warning issue, iDrive rebooting issues, trunk mechanism inoperable, trunk gaskets damaged by dealership (replacement requested), intermittent stalling
05/21/2017 Vehicle returned to customer (18 days)

10/17/2017 Issue reported to dealership, appointment requested (vehicle out of service): Insufficient battery range, coolant warning issue, trunk mechanism inoperable, iDrive phone disconnections, intermittent stalling
11/07/2017 Follow up with dealership regarding appointment after no reply from service rep (vehicle out of service) (22 days)

11/08/2017 Vehicle removed from service, no dealership willing to address issue
05/03/2018 [new dealership] agrees to attempt repairs (177 days)

05/03/2018 In for service (changed dealership): insufficient battery range, coolant warning issue, intermittent stalling, iDrive phone disconnections, trunk mechanism inoperable, trunk reporting "open" when closed
05/11/2018 Vehicle returned to customer (9 days)

05/21/2018 In for service: insufficient battery range, intermittent stalling, iDrive phone disconnections, trunk mechanism inoperable, fix dealer-damaged rear quarter panel
06/18/2018 Vehicle returned to customer (29 days)
Old 07-06-2018, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Hi I would be interested in the answers to your question as I am looking at a used i8. I have heard and read that they have a lot of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-16-2018, 03:55 PM

Unfortunately, doesn't look like there was much interest. Car is back in the shop yet again, but I've signed the paperwork to sell it, so I probably won't be back here. Best of luck!
Old 08-11-2018, 06:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomtheWop View Post
Unfortunately, doesn't look like there was much interest. Car is back in the shop yet again, but I've signed the paperwork to sell it, so I probably won't be back here. Best of luck!
Curious why, with this much trouble, you didn't lemon law it?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 94 E36 (325i)
I had an i8 bought back by BMW NA under the lemon law . I only put 800 miles on the car.

There was just a single issue but it was a big one. The car kept going into "Drivetrain Malfunction" mode. it was in the shop for three months and they replaced every electronic component & sensor they could find. After several months of searching for the problem they refunded every penny. BMW NA were really great to work with and there was never an argument.

I am a BMW fanboy and have owed 6 over the last 20 years. They offered me a choice between a refund or a discount on another i8. I decided I didn't want to own another i8, . It wasn't only the reliability issues but I didn't think the performance/ features were worth the price. I still love BMWs and may get an M8 when they come out next year.

If I'm spending crazy money on an exotic , I want performance to match. I took the buy back and got an Aston Martin DB11. (which is like dating a bipolar nymphomaniac supermodel)
Old 09-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto:
It seems like you had some bad luck with the i8. Sorry to hear about all of the issues. They have definitely worked out the kinks over the last couple of years and the numbers of reported issues has drastically reduced.

If you are in the market for a i8 Roadster, I have a couple to choose from and would be more than willing to work with you considering the experience you have had with your previous i8. You deserve a better experience and the new i8 Roadster will not disappoint! Let me know if interested and I'll be happy to provide info, pricing and ownership options for you.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: i8 Coupe & i8 roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich644 View Post

There was just a single issue but it was a big one. The car kept going into "Drivetrain Malfunction" mode....
Same here with my Coupe. They tried repairing it following the workshop manual and diagnosis four times.
Useless as they've only found an issue with the pressure-/temperature sensor of the turbo chargers which should have nothing to do with the drivetrain issue.
I told them to have a look to the control unit of the electrical engine as there obvious is a kind of temperature problem.
But they didn't because this is one of the most expensive parts to replace...

Anyway - the lawyers are in now.

Also own a roadster with no issues at all.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
With your history BMW should have bought back the car. You are too late now for the lemon law but you should nonetheless ask pointing out that you were waiting for them to come up with a fix and you want to order a new one but need them to buy back your current one. I used to have a 330e and BMW bought it back right before I invoked the lemon law. Once BMW agreed to buy it back they were very good about it. Hit me up for a reasonable usage allowance and even let me keep it while I ordered a new 530e and waited for it to be built and shipped around the world to me. A buyback is much more reasonable than a trade-in where you will be dinged for the crap you have been putting up with.

If BMW won't buy it back, I would leave the company. Take a look at the Acura NSX. I believe they have reduced it by $20K and it is also a high performance hybrid.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i8 I12 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search