Parasitic battery drain/SOLVED - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-29-2020, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto:
Parasitic battery drain/SOLVED

I posted an earlier problem in this forum on a parasitic battery drain. Like a dummy, I put 3 batteries in 2 years in my 2004 X5 (E53). I finally made the time to get out there and troubleshoot today! With a simple multimeter, I unhooked the neg battery cable and turned MM to measure Milliamps on the 10Amp scale. I locked the back hatch locking mechanism with a screwdriver (to act as closed so that I could work back there while the car thought everything was closed). One multimeter lead on neg battery cable and the other taped to the terminal (all I had). The reading started out at .380 MA and after 16 minutes the car entered “sleep mode” where the reading went DOWN to .127MA. 127 Milliamps was still to high after doing some research where it SHOULD NOT be over 50 Milliamps! So began the tedious task of pulling fuses to isolate the problematic circuit that was constantly drawing power from the battery! I started in the rear fuse box (right side cargo area), and after I pulled ONLY the 4th fuse out, the meter went from 1.27MA all the way down to .040MA. Found the culprit after only 4 fuses. It turned out to be the CD CHANGER. On the left rear side in the cargo area is a 6 disk cd changer. Not sure if this comes from factory or not? When I bought the car years ago it was a one owner only. Not sure if previous owner put that in or what? Do any of you others have this installed?

Anyway I like to post my fixes for others to hopefully benefit from! For now fuse remains out until I figure a cd fix!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 03:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 E53 X5 Black/Black
great Scott nice job 4 fuses in.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmee4life View Post
I posted an earlier problem in this forum on a parasitic battery drain. Like a dummy, I put 3 batteries in 2 years in my 2004 X5 (E53). I finally made the time to get out there and troubleshoot today! With a simple multimeter, I unhooked the neg battery cable and turned MM to measure Milliamps on the 10Amp scale. I locked the back hatch locking mechanism with a screwdriver (to act as closed so that I could work back there while the car thought everything was closed). One multimeter lead on neg battery cable and the other taped to the terminal (all I had). The reading started out at .380 MA and after 16 minutes the car entered “sleep mode” where the reading went DOWN to .127MA. 127 Milliamps was still to high after doing some research where it SHOULD NOT be over 50 Milliamps! So began the tedious task of pulling fuses to isolate the problematic circuit that was constantly drawing power from the battery! I started in the rear fuse box (right side cargo area), and after I pulled ONLY the 4th fuse out, the meter went from 1.27MA all the way down to .040MA. Found the culprit after only 4 fuses. It turned out to be the CD CHANGER. On the left rear side in the cargo area is a 6 disk cd changer. Not sure if this comes from factory or not? When I bought the car years ago it was a one owner only. Not sure if previous owner put that in or what? Do any of you others have this installed?

Anyway I like to post my fixes for others to hopefully benefit from! For now fuse remains out until I figure a cd fix!!!
Good job! The CD changer was an available option, so it may be factory.

I've had parasitic drain myself and because of that done a bunch of research. It seems there are several "typical" causes on our E53. The telematic unit (bluetooth for phone), the factory nav unit, the sound system and the FSR (speed control for the cabin fan). From what I've found it's almost always one of those. Now it seems we can add the CD changer to the list of typical culprits.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search