Audio issues - White Noise - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: bmw z3 1.9
Audio issues - White Noise

I have an 300W amplifier hooked up to two Boston Accoustic speakers. Lately I have been receiving a very loud white noise when I turn the car on - regardless of volume.

Some of the wires at amplifier were loose. I reattached and secured them and the noise is still there.

The Amp's power light is green and ON. Also CD player and radio still work and play. Just the loud white noise constantly - mostly coming from the right speaker.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 04:45 PM

After reconnecting all the wires and adjusting the amp switches - everything works great.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:57 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcrocop View Post
I have an 300W amplifier hooked up to two Boston Accoustic speakers.... CD player and radio still work and play...
Where did you get the amp and speakers? Where did put the amp and connect it? Was there an existing amp in the trunk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
Quote:
I have an 300W amplifier hooked up to two Boston Accoustic speakers.... CD player and radio still work and play...
Where did you get the amp and speakers? Where did put the amp and connect it? Was there an existing amp in the trunk?
Boston acoustics were aftermarket and a pain to hook up - I bought from an aftermarket audio store plus the amp.

Amp is in the trunk closest to the passenger cab on top of the carpet. Used to had a ten disc changer but it became obsolete.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:47 AM
BMW CCA 1405

I bought a speaker set from Crutchfield for the kick panels and door tweeters. Just installed one kick panel to compare to the other. Could not tell the difference, and the screw holes were a hair off so only two screws at a time would fit. So I didn't use the set.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
I bought a speaker set from Crutchfield for the kick panels and door tweeters. Just installed one kick panel to compare to the other. Could not tell the difference, and the screw holes were a hair off so only two screws at a time would fit. So I didn't use the set.
Were they Boston Acoustics? If so it's sounds like you didn't give them enough power. These speakers are night and day once amp is hooked up. The bass is horrible but the treble and loudness is amazing. They also did the tweeters in the door. I can take a picture of you would like to see the set up.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:41 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Were they Boston Acoustics? If so it's sounds like you didn't give them enough power. These speakers are night and day once amp is hooked up. The bass is horrible but the treble and loudness is amazing. They also did the tweeters in the door. I can take a picture of you would like to see the set up.
No, I just ordered speakers and only wanted to replace the big ones in the kick panels. Did not want to change the OE head unit, or mess with the door panels for the tweeters. I had already replaced a dangling OE tweeter.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_301K130/Hertz-K-130.html

The Hertz K130 kick panel speakers fitted only two of the Z3's screw holes, which was OK, but they did not sound any different from the old speakers.

Last edited by vintage42; 07-01-2020 at 04:43 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search