Clogged windshield sprayer - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i
Clogged windshield sprayer

I have searched a lot and all the available videos are for other BMW models that do not have a similar mechanism to my 2014 X1. Can anyone guide me how to take out the windshield washer filter and clean it? Last time the clogging happened BMW dealer quoted me $120 to have it replaced (ridiculous, right?), but they did it for free as a courtesy. I have used windshield washer fluid ever since to avoid this problem, but it seems to be back. Here are some photos of the assembly if it makes explaining easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190630_122540.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	866975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190630_122547.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	866977  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 04:11 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Clogged windshield washers seem to be a seasonal thing, and this - winter coming - is the season.

I make my own WW solution of distilled water (to avoid water spots) and methanol-denatured ethanol (wetting agent, solvent, anti-freeze) ($15 gallon)

The alcohol is a de-naturally for biologics like the slime biofilm that I believe clogs WW strainers, pumps, tubes, and nozzles.

Do not probe the nozzles with hard sharps as they are precision moulded fluidic oscillators and easily destroyed.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 10-04-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi,
Had a similar problem recently and ended up having to replace the washer jet. It's an easy job but the part is not cheap £45 (at least not in the UK) but still much cheaper than the quote from your main dealer.

To remove the unit:

1. Rotate black collar on T that connects the unit to the hose by lifting it slightly. Hose should then simply slide off.

2. Press in the clip on the electrical connector and pull off.

3. The unit is clipped into the underside of the bonnet. Push it towards the windscreen and use something flat to pry the back end out.

4. Refitting is just the reverse.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkertron View Post
Hi,
Had a similar problem recently and ended up having to replace the washer jet. It's an easy job but the part is not cheap £45 (at least not in the UK) but still much cheaper than the quote from your main dealer.

To remove the unit:

1. Rotate black collar on T that connects the unit to the hose by lifting it slightly. Hose should then simply slide off.

2. Press in the clip on the electrical connector and pull off.

3. The unit is clipped into the underside of the bonnet. Push it towards the windscreen and use something flat to pry the back end out.

4. Refitting is just the reverse.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. Could you advise on the part number? Is it #1 here by any chance?
Also, the rear washer is working fine. If the strainers for rear and front share the same tank, doesn't that mean that my problem is also from the washer jet like yours?

Last edited by backslashv; 11-18-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Clogged windshield washers seem to be a seasonal thing, and this - winter coming - is the season.

I make my own WW solution of distilled water (to avoid water spots) and methanol-denatured ethanol (wetting agent, solvent, anti-freeze) ($15 gallon)

The alcohol is a de-naturally for biologics like the slime biofilm that I believe clogs WW strainers, pumps, tubes, and nozzles.

Do not probe the nozzles with hard sharps as they are precision moulded fluidic oscillators and easily destroyed.
Will definitely go with distilled water this time.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto:
Yep, that's the part.
I also had an issue with the pump for my front washers so once I sorted that I knew for sure the washer was kaput as well.

If you have fluid coming from only one of your front washers then it would be safe to say your pump is fine and it's just the washer.

Otherwise you may want to check the pump. You should hear it 'hum' when you activate the washers.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkertron View Post
Yep, that's the part.
I also had an issue with the pump for my front washers so once I sorted that I knew for sure the washer was kaput as well.

If you have fluid coming from only one of your front washers then it would be safe to say your pump is fine and it's just the washer.

Otherwise you may want to check the pump. You should hear it 'hum' when you activate the washers.
Thanks. Fluid isn't coming from either of the front washers, but I hear the humming.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks. Fluid isn't coming from either of the front washers, but I hear the humming.[/QUOTE]

In that case you could have a blockage at the pump. If you remove the pipe from the first washer in the series and blow down it, you should hear bubbling. In that case you can be confident you need to either clean or replace the washers.
If not you need to rule out a blockage in the pipework and probably pull the tank and pump to inspect.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X1 xDrive35i
The pumps have a screen on them, which means if you use anything that has additives it will be clogged. You have to take off the passenger front wheel, liner, and then you can find the tank. You'll have 2-3 pumps there, depending on your options. There is a reason RainX has a lawsuit against them for certain cars.

Protip, at least some windshield fluids will etch concrete.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:14 AM
Nuclear engineer

I make my own WW solution of primarily distilled water (<$1/gallon) and methanol denatured-ethanol ($15/gallon) concentration that varies with the season. Now, winter, about 1:3 ethanol:water.

Distilled water to avoid water spots and the ethanol as antifreeze, wetting agent, surfactant, solvent. Still using CPO OE wiper inserts.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:19 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanielvzw View Post
The pumps have a screen on them, which means if you use anything that has additives it will be clogged. You have to take off the passenger front wheel, liner, and then you can find the tank. You'll have 2-3 pumps there, depending on your options. There is a reason RainX has a lawsuit against them for certain cars.

Protip, at least some windshield fluids will etch concrete.
The Rain-X class action was for sensor failures and has been dismissed with prejudice. The original plaintiff repaired his problem for a reported $150. (ClassAction.org)

I would be very interested in a citation to a windshield washer fluid that will etch concrete.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:

The density of methyl alcohol is less than water so it's going to stay on top but the filter is at the bottom. Not sure how beneficial the alcohol would be.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:32 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashv View Post
The density of methyl alcohol is less than water so it's going to stay on top but the filter is at the bottom. Not sure how beneficial the alcohol would be.
ALL Alcohols are fully miscible in water.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
ALL Alcohols are fully miscible in water.
***x1f44d;***x1f44d; good point.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:07 AM
Nuclear engineer

Because of the strength of the attraction of the OH group, first three alcohols (methanol, ethanol and propanol) are completely miscible. They dissolve in water in any amount. Starting with the four-carbon butanol the solubility of alcohols is starting to decrease. After the 7-carbon heptanol, alcohols are considered immiscible. The alcohol solublity in water can be observed below. The amounts are in mol/100g of H2O at 1atm and 25oC.

Alcohol solubility chart

Name Formula Solubility
Methanol CH3OH miscible
Ethanol C2H5OH miscible
Propanol C3H7OH miscible
Butanol C4H9OH 0.11
Pentanol C5H11OH 0.030
Hexanol C6H13OH 0.0058
Heptanol C7H15OH 0.0008
***8249; Water solubility table (chart)

Old 04-29-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Because of the strength of the attraction of the OH group, first three alcohols (methanol, ethanol and propanol) are completely miscible. They dissolve in water in any amount. Starting with the four-carbon butanol the solubility of alcohols is starting to decrease. After the 7-carbon heptanol, alcohols are considered immiscible. The alcohol solublity in water can be observed below. The amounts are in mol/100g of H2O at 1atm and 25oC.

Alcohol solubility chart

Name Formula Solubility
Methanol CH3OH miscible
Ethanol C2H5OH miscible
Propanol C3H7OH miscible
Butanol C4H9OH 0.11
Pentanol C5H11OH 0.030
Hexanol C6H13OH 0.0058
Heptanol C7H15OH 0.0008
***8249; Water solubility table (chart)
Do you think this is ok?
https://www.amazon.com/Klean-Strip-Q...E9P4W6P7R4B9JF

Also what ratio of this to water do you recommend?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:56 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Do you think this is ok?

I tried and failed to see what is the denaturant. With that caution, it is probably OK to use in your WW reservoir and system.

I donít measure the concentration that I use. In winter weather it is convenient to add the alcohol to a half empty jug of distilled water for the better Ďspoutí. If the window spray crystallizes ices then I add more alcohol. The weather is warm now and I have spent a couple of months in the south and I can still smell the alcohol when I spray the windshield.

The cost of that brand product is twice what is shown for equivalent product with other brands on AmaXonís compare page.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:47 AM
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'

Mein Auto: '93 "Beemer" R100r
Quote:
Do you think this is ok?

This product is available at WallyWorld and is a whole lot cheaper than your link even if you mix half a bottle with a gallon of distilled water:

It's not really yours until you void the warranty.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I tried and failed to see what is the denaturant. With that caution, it is probably OK to use in your WW reservoir and system.

I donít measure the concentration that I use. In winter weather it is convenient to add the alcohol to a half empty jug of distilled water for the better Ďspoutí. If the window spray crystallizes ices then I add more alcohol. The weather is warm now and I have spent a couple of months in the south and I can still smell the alcohol when I spray the windshield.

The cost of that brand product is twice what is shown for equivalent product with other brands on AmaXonís compare page.
Thanks. What about this?
What do you use yourself?
Old 04-30-2020, 10:00 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Thanks. What about this?
That is the brand that my hardware store carries and that I use. I buy it by the gallon, most recently $15 per gallon.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
There's always this BMW product for less than $3 each online. It's concentrated; you dilute it to the level of freeze protection that you want (-25F to 33F):

Old 04-30-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
This product is available at WallyWorld and is a whole lot cheaper than your link even if you mix half a bottle with a gallon of distilled water:
Thanks. What's WallyWorld ?
Old 04-30-2020, 05:37 PM

Walmart

Old 04-30-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
Walmart
Out of stock!
Old 05-01-2020, 06:39 PM

Vodka or Everclear (100% grain alcohol) works too!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search