BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

STRANDED IN VEGAS 2012 328i drivetrain malf

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  mike@x-ph.com 
#1 ·
hi everyone! it***8217;s been a loooong time since i***8217;ve been in here, & today is the day i desperately need yall!

my 2012 328i just stopped on me in the middle of rush hour traffic on a busy road in vegas! power was lost, the drivetrain light came on, it threw itself into park, aaaaand it will not restart.

i popped the hood and it is HOT under there! i had driven maybe 3 minutes before this happened. now i am just PRAYING nobody runs into me ***x1f629; cars go like 50+ on this road.

i am not under warranty (obviously), so, can anyone pleeeease recommend a reliable & fairly priced shop in vegas?

i am waiting on AAA now to tow me to the dealership in henderson, but i would much rather go indie at this point.

thanks yall

#2 ·
#5 ·
yall... i am so... idek if embarrassed is the appropriate word? i am confused... my gas light wasn***8217;t even on... yet... i ran out of gas??

the aaa guy was like, ***8220;let me just try and put gas in there,***8221; so i was like, ***8220;i mean, if you want to... i have 50 miles to empty (the irony is, i was literally on my way to fill up; i was like a 4 minute walk from a gas station).***8221;

he put 2 gallons in... and my car started. and the drivetrain light didn***8217;t come back on.

y***8217;all... i am so confused... i***8217;ve driven only bmw***8217;s since 2007... i have NEVER run out of gas... & my light wasn***8217;t even on yet.

***x1f3fd; i am thankful, i suppose lol lost a tow on my aaa but, my drivetrain didn***8217;t fall out so ***x1f3fd;***x1f602;

thanks!!

#13 · (Edited)
yall... i am so... idek if embarrassed is the appropriate word? i am confused... my gas light wasn't even on... yet... i ran out of gas??

the aaa guy was like, "let me just try and put gas in there," so i was like, "i mean, if you want to... i have 50 miles to empty (the irony is, i was literally on my way to fill up; i was like a 4 minute walk from a gas station)."

he put 2 gallons in... and my car started. and the drivetrain light didn't come back on.

y'all... i am so confused... i've driven only bmw's since 2007... i have NEVER run out of gas... & my light wasn't even on yet.

***x1f3fd; i am thankful, i suppose lol lost a tow on my aaa but, my drivetrain didn't fall out so ***x1f3fd;***x1f602;

thanks!!
Do you have the N51 SULEV engine? Someone else recently posted about running out of gas early with an N51. They sometimes have issues inside the special low emissions gas tank that cause the fuel level to not be accurate. You can track your miles with the odometer as a test.

#6 ·
Yup, only time I've ever seen a "Drivetrain Malfunction" warning was on a test drive in an M235i that the dealer assured me had enough gas before I pulled off his lot.

Kind of a stupid name for the warning for when you run out of gas, though.

#9 · (Edited)
I start looking for a fill up at a half-tank indicated. That's enough to get to a more affluent state while driving in poor mountainous east coast states, ~300 miles. I try to fill up at noon lunch stop and at the end of the day, while we***8217;re stopped anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.