BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Any M2 Comp Deals out there?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Md88plt 
#1 ·
Hi guys, looking into 2020 M2 Competition and wanted to know if there are any good deals out there? When is the best time to buy based on your experience?

Thanks,
Michael

#2 ·
Yes, people are finally getting discounts on M2C's. There was one sitting in my favorite dealer's showroom for six weeks. The M2C will supposedly stay in production until June 2021. The M2 CS is coming soon, and that will be the hot ticket and command full price.

Somebody here said they got $4k off MSRP.

The best time to buy a car from a price perspective is December and January. That's when sales are down, especially in cold climates and especially for inexpensive cars (less so for BMW's, though).

These cars can be an impulse buy, because they're special. So, dealers are more likely to tolerate them sitting in the showroom longer waiting to get a higher price for them. That's why one sat in my favorite dealer's showroom for six weeks. But, any dealer can order a factory fresh one exactly like you want it. It's time to go hitting showrooms (or sales mangers' e-mails) and start haggling for a factory order.

You don't say where you're located. But, one suggestion is to get the test drive ritual out of the way by going to an M School in Spartanburg or Thermal. There's nothing that sends a salesman into a frenzy more than somebody skipping over the test drive and going straight into haggling. They don't want their big fish to get away, so that can work to your advantage.

#3 · (Edited)
@Autoputzer Thanks for your feedback, I'm located in South FL and already test drove the car. Seems like the local dealers don't want to go below MSRP. I'm not in a rush, looking at ~May 2020 time frame and want to make sure I get a good deal. Looked at the used market with low miles but skeptical. IMO not many would buy/lease M car and pamper it unless they plan on keeping it long term. Considering Hockenheim Silver, Blk/Blue interior, DCT and executive package with or w/o the sunroof.

#4 ·
I love my sunroofs, wind-free fresh air.

Supply has caught up with demand on M2C's. Factory ordering one would take two to three months, since it's a German car. It's a PIA to get the latest figures for "invoice" pricing. But, when we bought an X3 in 2018, invoice was 93% of the base price, 92% of option prices, and 100% of destination charges. You're not going to get as good a deal on an M2C as you would on a high-volume 330i or X3. My favorite dealer is so loaded up with 330i's that they're parking them at their Chevrolet dealership. But, if somebody here got $4k off, you should be able to also, especially with a factory order.

If you go to a dealership and make an offer, they can either accept it or not. You're lucky in that you have "dealerships" (plural). Here in NW Floriduh, BMW dealerships are 50 to 100 miles apart. So, round-robin to get the best deal is a PIA.

Back when M235i's were something special, a friend of mine would go down and try to haggle when on came in. But, the dealership would hold out for the next guy walking in the door and paying more. As soon as he decided to factory order one, he got the price he wanted.

Look up Jon Shafer, Bimmerfest founder and BMW salesman, on the Ask-A-Dealer board here. He might cut you a deal on Spartanburg, SC delivery. He specializes in "internet sales," and I think his dealership is now allowing him to sell cars to people outside of California.

The shortage of M2's was always artificial, to limit the loss of sales of more expensive M3's and M4's. With literally a click of a mouse at the Leipsig factory, they can magically turn an upcoming 230i into an M2C.

I like new BMW's. I agree that people with short automotive attention spans don't take particularly good care of their cars.

If you're too busy, I'll go pick it up for you at Spartanburg, deliver it to SOFL, and pay my own airline ticket to Spartanburg and back to Bubbaville. I have 100,000,000 miles with SWA. :thumbup:

#7 ·
I just obtained some bids for an M2C -- 3 dealers offered MSRP, 2 offered invoice, 3 dealers offered below invoice. 2 dealers refused to bid.

My local dealer wanted MSRP when I visited a couple of years ago and this time they bid below invoice.

I live in the Northeast -- I don't know how much help this is in the South Florida area.

#9 ·
From his name, I'm going out on a limb and saying that Bob Shiftright didn't get a DCT.

I balked on an M2C because there isn't a spare tire available for it. There was a jury rig spare set-up that would fit on the M2, but it supposedly doesn't fit over the M2C's larger brakes. For me "no spare" means "no sale." That might also stop me from getting one of the new 911's (992's) as my last go-fast, look-cool car. The 991 did offer a spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.