what parts of my dash are leather? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: the bus
what parts of my dash are leather?

looks to be modular... some is plastic, some is leather. same for door panels and center-console. i bought some leather UV wipes and some vinyl UV wipes (along with some 303, which i'll prolly end up using on the whole interior).

previously i hit the areas that had no texture with the vinyl wipes and the textured with the leather wipes. now that i finally ordered some 303, i'm reading up and it seems to be great on everything, including tires.

anyone intimate with the M Coupe/Roadster interiors? think it matters at all, or is it all marketing? i figured there's oils of some sort in the leather wipes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2005, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Nothing on your dash is leather. It is all vinyl and plastic. The sides of the center console and the center console itself are leather in your car. The centers of the door panels are leather. The fronts and side bolsters of the seats are leather.

16 X5d | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
http://coupenut.blogspot.com/
http://x5nut.blogspot.com/
Old 08-25-2005, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: E39
you did good - 303 on vinyl. For the leather, read here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Nothing on your dash is leather. It is all vinyl and plastic. The sides of the center console and the center console itself are leather in your car. The centers of the door panels are leather. The fronts and side bolsters of the seats are leather.
Unless, of course, your Z3 has the "extended leather" package. In that case, pretty much ALL of the dash, including the instrument cluster and center console surrounds, are indeed leather.

-Warr
Old 08-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernst
Unless, of course, your Z3 has the "extended leather" package. In that case, pretty much ALL of the dash, including the instrument cluster and center console surrounds, are indeed leather.

-Warr
I think extended leather only includes console surround,not upper dash,glove box,etc.I would hate to see a leather upper dash after a little time of direct sunlight at least I think so

Last edited by patdynasty3; 08-27-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by patdynasty3
I think extended leather only includes console surround,not upper dash,glove box,etc.I would hate to see a leather upper dash after a little time of direct sunlight at least I think so
*I have* the extended leather package. I can assure you that everything I described above is full leather, along with the upper dash and the passenger side airbag cover. (Not the glovebox, though.) Much of the door gets more leather too, as does the center console.

As for its life in the sun; funny you'd ask. Mine is a CPO with a year to go. About 3 years ago, the passenger side airbag leather cover was replaced because it started bubbling. Then a year after that, the intrument panel cover started SHRINKING, pulling away from the front of the car. BMW doesn't just have that part, so the WHOLE dashboard leather set was replaced, to the tune of, get this, $2800. Warranty covered it all, of course.

I then got a snazzy windshield sunblocker from Z3 solutions, and the dashboard looks just great, BUT I noticed the instrument pod leather is starting to peel again. I hesitate to think how much work BMW will do under CPO warranty to fix that again...

-Warr
Old 08-27-2005, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
*I have* the extended leather package. I can assure you that everything I described above is full leather, along with the upper dash and the passenger side airbag cover. (Not the glovebox, though.) Much of the door gets more leather too, as does the center console.

As for its life in the sun; funny you'd ask. Mine is a CPO with a year to go. About 3 years ago, the passenger side airbag leather cover was replaced because it started bubbling. Then a year after that, the intrument panel cover started SHRINKING, pulling away from the front of the car. BMW doesn't just have that part, so the WHOLE dashboard leather set was replaced, to the tune of, get this, $2800. Warranty covered it all, of course.

I then got a snazzy windshield sunblocker from Z3 solutions, and the dashboard looks just great, BUT I noticed the instrument pod leather is starting to peel again. I hesitate to think how much work BMW will do under CPO warranty to fix that again...

-Warr
I stand corrected Learn something new everyday
Old 08-27-2005, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: '04 Z4 3.0i, '97 M3
Quote:
My Z3 w/extended leather had the exact same issue. It was one of the reasons I decided to sell it lol. But I had no idea the fix was that $$$- mine was out of warrenty @ the time, but yikes.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:

-Warr
True. Except the original poster has a 99 M, not a Z3, and therefore, not even the option for extended leather.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search