I'm in the Club Part II - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe
I'm in the Club Part II

Well, it was Monday morning at 4:30am when my trip started. I left Tulsa on a flight to Detroit. Hung out at the Detroit airport (very cool airport at the Northwest Airlines terminal C) for 40 minutes or so and then off to South Bend, Indiana.

The owner of the car picked me up at the airport.

We first went to his mechanics shop (where the PPI was done) Bills Top and Trim. Marty Hostetler is the owner. This is mostly a Porsche shop and for those that are interested, there was some rare stuff there like an old Porsch Disel Tractor and a very rare 1967 911S soft window targa. The big attraction was seeing the sellers 1967 Porsche 911 S race car. OMG, it was gutted and had a motor more powerful than the M Coupe. They fired it up and all I can say is amazing work. Keep in mind, I'm from the Porsch world so this was all very cool for me.

After that, we were off to the sellers home. This I had been anticipating. We pull up and there was a home that was modest and understated. In the garage is his WRX STi. Turn my head right and there is the garage of garages. A 40'x80' fully assembled garage complete with two motor home entrances and two double garage doors. He turned off the alarm and turned on the lights. Just amazing. The walls were adorned with old Porsche Billboards, old dealer signs (and I mean the big ones), posters etc.. Inside was a 1965 911, 1976 911S, 1956 356 Carrara, 1957 Speedster (I think this was the year and is was under restoration), another fifties something Porsche diesel tractor (the one at the shop was his too), 1970 European 914-6, 1989 911 Speedster, 1998 911 C2S and the M Coupe. My jaw hit the floor. Most of these he is the original owner of. I looked and respected each car one by one and worked my way around the garage until I hit the M Coupe.

Alas, the M Coupe. I opened the door and it still smelled new. Just awesome. I really didn't need to look at it as it was exactly as described. A 2001 Estroil Blue over Full black Leather. NO SUNROOF and a factory CD Player. All the books, keys and even the window sticker. At the time, it had 9010 miles on the clock due to the PPI and some service work he agreed to have done. The inside and outside are just incredible. The paint is much deeper and richer than I expected as the car is always stored inside, it has almost never seen the sun. Since I had only ever seen one other MCoupe in person (a 2000 S52) I was pleased to see what the "Curved Badges" were and what color the S54 Rims were in comparison. Personally, I think both set the car off very nicely.

Then seller then offered to show me the inside of his house and it was just adorned with more Porsche Goodies. His collection never seemed to stop. It was just amazing all the things he had. The trip was worth it just to see what I got to see. We talked some more and went back to the garage to see some items I missed in the garage like a cutaway of a real 1968 911 motor that was on a jack stand and a bronze of the 917 race car and other rare stuff. His home was like a museum.

We finaled the paperwork and I hit the road. Having never driven one of these I was very conservative with car. Outside of Chicago I got hung up in 1.5 hours of construction traffic. I loved watching people point. You could read their lips (what is that). After the construction, it was smooth sailing. I found a rabbit that I followe for a good 4 hours at 100mph. That made up for the traffic. I love bliping the throttle and jumping from 80 to 110 in the blink of an eye without a downshift. While the car did average 25 MPG, the 12 gallon tank sucked with fill ups every 300 miles or so. Overall, the ride was enjoyable and went without issue or rain. At 3:30am (almost 24hours later) I pulled into the drive to a wife with a big smile on her face waiting to see me and the car. She had moved the final items in the third stall for the car and helped me back in. What a woman.

In the end, the journey has ended and begun. I usually only hold on to my toys for a year or so, but I don't know that I would sell this car. It is just amazing. BMW did not market this car the right way. I bought the 88 page brochure off of ebay and it does not do the car justice in it's description and selling points. The good news is that means there are less than 700 to enjoy for those of us lucky few.

Finally, I do have some questions.

1) The speedo seems to be about 10MPH off at 80 mph. The owner brought this to my attention and it was confimred when I was radared by a constrution sign. WTF.
2) The drivers seat back seems to have more movement than I would expect for a seat with a mechanical lever seat back. I can feel it rock forward when I apply the brakes hard or back when I accelerate hard. Any input?
3) The gear shifter and drivers seat bolster do not seem to be wearing well. While I'm very picky and the wear is not that bad at all, it is there. Will BMW address this? I've read that they have with the Alcantara Steering Wheels getting hard.

I have about 10 days of warranty left and was going to take it to the dealer to have these itmes addressed. Is this worth my time? Let me know.

I hope you enjoyed the story. I'll have photos up soon. They are still in the camera.

Last edited by kevjandon; 08-26-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Confirmed Lap Dog!

Send a message via AIM to JimR
Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
Very Cool

Thanks for the write up.

Taking a trip back home with a new (to you) car is such a great way to break it in.

To answer your questions:

1) ALL BMW speedos are off (and generally reading high). The factory says that a speedometer that is off by 10% is still within tolerance ( I think the actual is 10% + 2.4 mph, but am not completely certain of that). AFAIK, there isn't much you can do about it.

2) There is definitely a fix for the rocking seat. I have never had the problem with my car (knock on wood), so I haven't done it myself, but from what I've read on the board it seems to be a matter of pulling the seat out and replacing some bushings in the rails.

3) No ideas there. Anyone?
Frozen Rotors cryo-treated brakes (Eurosport M3 front, OEM rear)
Performance Friction track pads (front and rear)
HMS rollbar and harness bar
Schroth six point harnesses
Whalen Shift Machine
Randy Forbes rear-end fixup, Rogue Diff cover, Supersprint exhaust, Ireland rear subframe bushings, Powerflex adjustable rear control arm bushings and front control arm bushing
Old 08-25-2005, 01:33 PM
B-Rad

Send a message via AIM to Speed00
Mein Auto: Imola 2k M Coupe
BMW won't do anything about wear and tear (knob and seats).
But you already have wear and tear after 9000 miles? Huh?
Mine has 50k miles and looks great. Tiny bit of bolster wear, but they ride high on your hips so it happens when you get in and out of the car.
Knob? Well just buy a new one for $75, that's what I did.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe
Don't get me wrong. I am anal picky. Most, if not all, would not notice it. It's that anal Porsche Concourse side of me.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to DaKine
Mein Auto: 2002 M Coupe
Wow, it sounds like you had an awesome trip. Congratulations on the new car!

It took me forever to find my car, and now that I did, I find myself looking at it in my driveway thinking, "Damn, that car is awesome, I wish I had one...." It would take a few seconds for it to sink in that It was actualy mine

Congratulations and enjoy your car!
Old 08-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Congrats... very jealous, wondering when I'll find the right Coupe for me.. waiting is not the worst part, not knowing is the worst part! Oh well, it's only been two weeks of SERIOUS shopping (and a few months of moderate following of autotrader).. so hopefully I'll find the right car sometime in the next few months.

I sold my 95 M3 in March 04, so I've been without an M-car for 17 months!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: '99 Z3 2.8 SC'd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR
There is definitely a fix for the rocking seat. I have never had the problem with my car (knock on wood), so I haven't done it myself, but from what I've read on the board it seems to be a matter of pulling the seat out and replacing some bushings in the rails.
Indeed a classical problem. I have a tiny little bit of movement too. It doesn't bother me (yet) though...
Old 08-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjandon
I hope you enjoyed the story. I'll have photos up soon. They are still in the camera.
Pictures.. pictures... of the whole trip, not just the car. sounds amazing.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:48 PM
///M Practical

Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
Replacing the seat bushings is not hard. Here's two write ups.

http://www.edoghouse.com/cbishop/skin/bushing.htm

http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/02/100602/shish01.html

You don't really need to move the move the seat on the rails with a power source if you position the seat properly before it pull it out of the car.

While you have the seats out, it's a great time to replace the clutch pedal and bushings if necessary, fix a sagging glove box, and perhaps install a Euro wiper module.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/dri...edal_slop.html

http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/z3/WarCamp/Index.htm

http://www.leatherz.com/instructions/WiperRelay.pdf

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/int...ol_module.html
Old 08-27-2005, 02:12 AM

Mein Auto:
replacing the bushings won't solve your rocking problem.
i have the same problem with my seat. i thought that once i put those urethane bushings it'll be gone. wrong. it seems something inside is loose. i've heard that few people got new seats under warranty. if i'm not mistaken it's a frame problem.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco
replacing the bushings won't solve your rocking problem.
i have the same problem with my seat. i thought that once i put those urethane bushings it'll be gone. wrong. it seems something inside is loose. i've heard that few people got new seats under warranty. if i'm not mistaken it's a frame problem.
Urethane? You want Doug Whalen's delrin bushings. Replacing the worn soft ones with another set of soft ones won't cure the problem.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search