Tips for more Power (E28 Automatic) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 06-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: Green Machine
Tips for more Power (E28 Automatic)

Hello folks, new here and to classic BMW cars. I owned an X5 4.4i with Sports Package (loved it) back in 2000, but wandered off the brand since. I always liked the old BMW 3 and 5 series of late 80's and now I'm looking at trading in my Green Machine for something more fun (and less practical).

While most of you in this sports car forum will opt for a manual drivetrain, for the obvious fun factor and tuning potential, the rational side of my brain is telling me "you are too old and mostly drive in stop and go traffic", so I'm going with an automatic. I have identified a few cars, mostly late 80's 535i's and a couple of Japanese market M535i's.

My question is if I go with the automatic, how much power increase can be "reasonably" achieved without putting a 3 or 4 speed automatic transmission in peril? The car will be my daily driver, so I am not looking to add 200 HP, maybe 30-50HP, just something to amp up the fun factor.

New to all things BMW, tuning, so any advice, recommendation on how to increase power most economically, some options for doing so, etc.., would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Andres

Last edited by carjoy; 06-26-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: Green Machine
Anyone?
Old 06-27-2018, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
I would first start out with refreshing the front end, then do a general refresh on the engine. If the engine is running well it will give more power.

You can also get a 3.46 diff to help with pick up and go.

There are chips out there that say they add horse power that you can try.

Headers help add better flow so that would help.

After that you start getting expensive, like head work. Bigger injectors, replacing the engine and getting a m30b35.

And last but not least making it a manual.

Andy
Old 10-19-2018, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 318i
Just do a swap with one of the newer models like an e46 for example. It's cheaper that way

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)
Today's Posts Search