My ability to change date for pickup and dropoff - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 05-01-2005, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto:
Question My ability to change date for pickup and dropoff

I'm getting ever closer to an ED and had the following questions:

1. To what extent can you, rather than BMW, determine the Munich pick-up date at the time of purchase?
My guess is that what typically happens is you place the order and hear later from your dealer what pick-up date has been determined for you, which is usually 2-3 months later. I assume it would be very hard, if not impossible, to reschedule the pick-up for an earlier date. If they come back with a date that doesn't work for you (for whatever reason), can you ask for the same car one week, one month, etc., later? Whether or not BMW is flexible, an agreed/scheduled date is established and appears on your purchase agreement/order.

2. To what extent can you change the agreed pickup date after the purchase (but before the scheduled pickup date)?
Say you agreed to pick up the car on the 15th of June. One week beforehand, your boss says you can no longer take time off (but can do so one month later). Can you call BMW and reschedule? Does it depend on how far in advance you tell them?

3. Are you free to drop off the car whenever you like (within 6 months of pick-up, of course)?
I believe there is no scheduled dropoff date when you collect the car; the agrement is you'll schedule a drop-off while you're in Europe. So you may go over there expecting to drop it off on, say, the 1st of June in Paris and then decide once there that you're having so much fun that you'd prefer to drop it off on the 1st of July in Madrid. Or you could drop it off earlier than planned. What is important is to contact the drop-off center x days beforehand to notify them you're coming; you cannot just show up expecting to hand the car over to them.

I ask all of this to learn how much flexibility I'll have in my schedule. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnother
I'm getting ever closer to an ED and had the following questions:

1. To what extent can you, rather than BMW, determine the Munich pick-up date at the time of purchase?
My guess is that what typically happens is you place the order and hear later from your dealer what pick-up date has been determined for you, which is usually 2-3 months later. I assume it would be very hard, if not impossible, to reschedule the pick-up for an earlier date. If they come back with a date that doesn't work for you (for whatever reason), can you ask for the same car one week, one month, etc., later? Whether or not BMW is flexible, an agreed/scheduled date is established and appears on your purchase agreement/order.
If you are just ordering, you tell your CA what date you want to pick up. They will verify this with BMW AG(takes a few days) and either tell you its a go or give you other dates close to your first choice. Make sure you're requested date does not fall on a German Holiday. BMWNA is flexible as long as they have room for your requested date. 95% of the time, they will have no problem with your chosen date esp. if you are ordering 3 months in advance. I just did one last march and my order date to pick up was less than 5 weeks. I told them what week I wanted and was given two dates to choose from.

Quote:
2. To what extent can you change the agreed pickup date after the purchase (but before the scheduled pickup date)?
Say you agreed to pick up the car on the 15th of June. One week beforehand, your boss says you can no longer take time off (but can do so one month later). Can you call BMW and reschedule? Does it depend on how far in advance you tell them?
Changing your date one week before pickup is probably not doable but maybe you can cite such extenuating circumstances. You have to remember that they have to coordinate registration and paperwork for your car as you will drive it around europe so pick up dates are set in stone and are usually hard to modify as you get closer to d-day.

Quote:
3. Are you free to drop off the car whenever you like (within 6 months of pick-up, of course)?
I believe there is no scheduled dropoff date when you collect the car; the agrement is you'll schedule a drop-off while you're in Europe. So you may go over there expecting to drop it off on, say, the 1st of June in Paris and then decide once there that you're having so much fun that you'd prefer to drop it off on the 1st of July in Madrid. Or you could drop it off earlier than planned. What is important is to contact the drop-off center x days beforehand to notify them you're coming; you cannot just show up expecting to hand the car over to them.

I ask all of this to learn how much flexibility I'll have in my schedule. Thanks.
You have 90 days to drop off the car, see the Sticky on top of this forum. Your insurance will cover you for 14 days, extra days you will have to pay for. There is a rate schedule at www.bmwusa.com European Delivery section. So if you are going to be goingover the 14 days, make sure you buy the extra insurance. I have no idea if you can buy it after pick up and you decided to stay a couple more weeks.

They will ask you at time of delivery when you expect to drop the car off.

I dropped off in Frankfurt in 2000 without caling EH Harms first. Just showed up and handed them the car.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: 2017 340i
I did the same as Arn (5 week turn) but was able to move my original date of pick-up on March 18 to March 23. However, I moved the date within a few days of receiving it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnolds

Changing your date one week before pickup is probably not doable but maybe you can cite such extenuating circumstances. You have to remember that they have to coordinate registration and paperwork for your car as you will drive it around europe so pick up dates are set in stone and are usually hard to modify as you get closer to d-day.
Just don't ask them when d-day is
Old 07-04-2013, 01:11 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
it's ALIVE

figured it was easier to bump this:

who do i contact (besides the CA) to change the dropoff date to a day earlier?

I am scheduled to drop the car off on the 11th of July in Geneva but was thinking maybe doing it a day (or two earlier). I feel as though a day or two earlier should not be as difficult as opposed to later.

Has anyone had any issues with something like that?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank7 View Post
figured it was easier to bump this:

who do i contact (besides the CA) to change the dropoff date to a day earlier?

I am scheduled to drop the car off on the 11th of July in Geneva but was thinking maybe doing it a day (or two earlier). I feel as though a day or two earlier should not be as difficult as opposed to later.

Has anyone had any issues with something like that?
Contact the drop off location.

Previous:
2015 M235i CV
2014 X5 35i
2013 550xi
2011 X5 35d
2007 328xi
Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 AM
?

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 35i
Changing drop off date shouldn't pose a problem. Have you made contact with the drop off location with your original date? Either way, just contact them again and give them your new date.

2020 X5 40i (Nov 2019)
2019 530e

Past:
2017 X5 35i (Nov 2016)
2014 328i (Feb 2015)
2013 740i (June 2013)
2012 528i (ED March 2012)
2011 X5d (Sept 2010)
2008 550i
2006 530i (ED Oct 2005)
2003 530i (ED Oct 2002)
1999 328i

Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots View Post
Changing drop off date shouldn't pose a problem. Have you made contact with the drop off location with your original date? Either way, just contact them again and give them your new date.
yep, has been confirmed that it is not an issue at all..

i emailed my CA a month ago and he told me it was not possible to change the location or date.. .... ...

AND what's more is that when I got on the horn to the drop off location they said no appt had been made from BMW

i have become REALLY very annoyed with the CA and his dealership over the past month or so.

will allow them to respond before i post who they are on the forum but very shoddy
Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank7 View Post
AND what's more is that when I got on the horn to the drop off location they said no appt had been made from BMW
Your CA should have informed you that you can arrange the drop off appointments. I did mine by e-mail.

"All drop-off locations require 4 days advance notice to schedule a drop off appointment either by phone or email. Drop off locations are open Monday to Friday only. All locations are closed on Saturdays (with the exception in Munich) Sundays, German holidays and scheduled holidays. If you are planning to drop off outside of Germany, please check that country's tourist website for their specific holidays."

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...eOverview.aspx

Might be a good idea to check all the information on the above site before you leave on your trip. Especially the FAQs.

Ps. Also bring the drop-off locations phone number with you in case you decide to make changes while in Europe. The drop-off location will also try and accommodate any changes even inside the 4 day window.

Have fun in Europe

Last edited by Norm37; 07-05-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:23 AM

thanks man!

already here, already driving, just pissed that the CA was so stupid about all his actions

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search