F48 X1 Brakes - Stiff and Grabby! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 F48 (2016 - current)

X1 F48 (2016 - current)
Second generation F48 BMW X1 builds on the success of it's predecessor. Increases in power, interior and cargo space keep it a leader in the small SUV field.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 F48 AWD
F48 X1 Brakes - Stiff and Grabby!

Has anyone else had this experience: The brakes on my 2017 X1 AWD are grabby and sensitive to the point of annoying my passengers. They take only the lightest touch before they grab and it feels like I'm making an abrupt stop. It takes some effort/concentration to make smooth stops. I've gotten used to it, but my girlfriend hates riding in my car. And to be fair, I hate being a passenger in my own car.

I've had quite a few BMWs over the years and none of them displayed this kind of rough braking. I've asked the dealer but they don't see it as a problem. I may change out the rotors, but honestly, I may just change out the car!

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 12:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F48 X1, JGC, 911C2S Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBezel View Post
Has anyone else had this experience: The brakes on my 2017 X1 AWD are grabby and sensitive to the point of annoying my passengers. They take only the lightest touch before they grab and it feels like I'm making an abrupt stop. It takes some effort/concentration to make smooth stops. I've gotten used to it, but my girlfriend hates riding in my car. And to be fair, I hate being a passenger in my own car.

I've had quite a few BMWs over the years and none of them displayed this kind of rough braking. I've asked the dealer but they don't see it as a problem. I may change out the rotors, but honestly, I may just change out the car!

Any thoughts?
I think it's a characteristic of the car. I've learned over time to modulate the pedal in a way that minimizes the affect.

Changing out the rotors will most likely not have any positive impact on addressing the condition.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 F48 AWD
Quote:
I've learned over time to modulate the pedal in a way that minimizes the affect.
Thanks Rallen88, you might just have saved me a lot of money and headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328 xDrive
I also notice them being grabby at slower speeds. I't hard to come to a smooth stop. Higher speeds I don't notice it.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKstate11 View Post
I also notice them being grabby at slower speeds. I't hard to come to a smooth stop. Higher speeds I don't notice it.
When my X1 was in the shop last week (it's a 2017), the loaner car the dealership gave me was a 2020 X1. One of the changes that I noticed immediately was the brakes. They were not at all like the brakes on my '17 (not grabby.)

Perhaps BMW has addressed / corrected the issue.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: 16 X1 M-Sport
Glazed/dirty pads? When I got mine used it had been on the lot for awhile and probably not driven much. The brakes seemed a bit grabby too. So bad I actually bought new pads and rotors. In the meantime I drive pretty aggressively, hard braking, etc. just to wring the car out. The brakes now seem fine so I'm waiting now to install the new brakes.

Find a good stretch of empty road and brake aggressively a few times from relatively high speed. After such hard braking try not to touch the brakes much or come to a stop (critical). You need to let the brakes cool or it can be the cause of rotor warp.

In the good old days before lawyers, etc., BMW actually recommended such a procedure in their owner's manuals! Like braking hard from 80-90mph down to 50-60 a few times on the highway to clean the brakes.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:49 AM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
+ Another here: my CEO's '17 has a very 'soft', long travel pedal with grabby brakes since day one.
In the four times it has been back to selling dlr for the 'free' stuff and trying to get the kick working on tailgate, I have had the grabby brakes listed on work order to be checked, each time.

The SA has told me every time it is 'normal'...I asked my sales guy to "Let's go drive another '17" that they had on lot: same crummy brakes.

In 55 yrs of all kinds of cars, inc our current ol' E53, I have never had brake pedal travel so long and pedal so grabby with this unknown 'bite point'.

My wife says it doesn't bother her; I think the braking feel sucks.

Next trip is to a local BMW dlr here at our EscapeWinterHouse, but I suspect that dlr will try to sell me new pads and rotors as a 'cure'.
GL, mD
'17 X1 F48 for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Last edited by motordavid; 01-23-2020 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Glazed/dirty pads? When I got mine used it had been on the lot for awhile and probably not driven much. The brakes seemed a bit grabby too. So bad I actually bought new pads and rotors. In the meantime I drive pretty aggressively, hard braking, etc. just to wring the car out. The brakes now seem fine so I'm waiting now to install the new brakes.

Find a good stretch of empty road and brake aggressively a few times from relatively high speed. After such hard braking try not to touch the brakes much or come to a stop (critical). You need to let the brakes cool or it can be the cause of rotor warp.

In the good old days before lawyers, etc., BMW actually recommended such a procedure in their owner's manuals! Like braking hard from 80-90mph down to 50-60 a few times on the highway to clean the brakes.
Good thought - but I don't think this is the issue. The problem is with delayed actuation / and a comparatively long pedal travel, followed by a more abrupt contact of the pads on the rotors. (And pad wear is not the concern - mine are in good condition.)

This condition appears to have been engineered in (or I guess, not engineered out) by BMW.
Perhaps tied to the Mini lineage.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 16 X1 M-Sport
Maybe try a fluid bleeding? Spongy soft pedal can be air in the lines.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Maybe try a fluid bleeding? Spongy soft pedal can be air in the lines.
Nope. Pedal is not spongy at all.

The ambiguity is with the point of actuation. Too much pedal travel with zero sense of resistance and then brake application occurs (somewhat suddenly) again with little resistance initially.

I've owned and driven BMW's since 1980 - many of them. None of them have exhibited this.

I am meticulous about maintenance. There is no issue with pad wear, rotor glazing, air in the system, low fluid etc.

This is a design defect. One which BMW will never admit to.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Just saw this post and I can also confirm my wife's '16 X1 has grabby brakes.. and my brand new 2019 X2 M35i with the M brakes are maybe even a tad grabbier even. Now that I've had 6 months of seat time I drive like I have an egg under my foot again. It's the hardest in the slow moving stop and go. But.. every loaner X1 had grabby brakes as well.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
brakes grab, f48, stiff brakes, x1

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 F48 (2016 - current)
Today's Posts Search