335xi in need of some love (hopefully not a mistake) - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 09-04-2019, 07:02 AM
stewbets stewbets is offline
Registered User
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: '04 545i Sport, '08 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
Meh, leave oil pan alone unless you're a neat freak like me. Valve cover gasket is more important to address as oil seeping down from top can do more damage than oil dripping onto subframe.
Did you add dye when replacing AC medium?
That makes sense about the oil pan vs. the valve cover. It just seems like the oil pan is leaking a little more than I'm willing to live with (don't want to coat my driveway). Unfortunately I did not add dye when I charged my A/C. I'll have to check if I still have some.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #27  
Old 09-06-2019, 09:47 AM
stewbets stewbets is offline
Registered User
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: '04 545i Sport, '08 335xi
30FF is gone now. I realized I was a little sloppy when I put everything back together and forgot to reattach the intake manifold vacuum line.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-10-2019, 09:56 AM
stewbets stewbets is offline
Registered User
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: '04 545i Sport, '08 335xi
I decided to do the valve cover gasket. The cover is off and the gasket should arrive today. Hopefully this takes care of the burning oil smell I get through the cabin vents.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-11-2019, 08:03 AM
stewbets stewbets is offline
Registered User
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: '04 545i Sport, '08 335xi
The valve cover gasket is done. It took me about 5 hours, but it was surprisingly painless. I smelled no burning oil on my test drive, even after letting it idle for several minutes after a 15-minute drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190910_175844.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	864305  
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-12-2019, 07:24 AM
stewbets stewbets is offline
Registered User
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: '04 545i Sport, '08 335xi
I finally got around to removing the water pump. Sure enough, I have the same hairline crack that so many others have had. What a ridiculous design flaw. And what's even more ridiculous is how much harder it is to get at the pump on an xi.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-12-2019, 08:39 AM
Yukoner Yukoner is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Whitehorse, YT
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,408
Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
And what's even more ridiculous is how much harder it is to get at the pump on an xi.
I'm guessing that's why it's a ~$1,500.00 job at the dealer
__________________


Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-12-2019, 09:57 AM
stewbets stewbets is offline
Registered User
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: '04 545i Sport, '08 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
I'm guessing that's why it's a ~$1,500.00 job at the dealer
Yeah, $1500 to buy you another ~20k miles and then you get to do it again! What I find hilarious/infuriating is that going with an electric pump means you could put it literally anywhere, yet a once bulletproof belt-driven part was stripped of its reliability and thoughtlessly buried for future headaches. Thank you, BMW.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Yukoner Yukoner is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Whitehorse, YT
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,408
Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
Yeah, $1500 to buy you another ~20k miles and then you get to do it again! What I find hilarious/infuriating is that going with an electric pump means you could put it literally anywhere, yet a once bulletproof belt-driven part was stripped of its reliability and thoughtlessly buried for future headaches. Thank you, BMW.
It's interesting to hear perspectives on the electric water pumps.

In all my previous cars (non-BMW), I was used to belt-driven pumps. All of those pretty much started leaking around the 100K to 120K km mark (that's ~60K to ~70K miles). The electric ones I haven't heard much about them leaking, but rather they just fail, as in the electronics just fail from one second to the next.

I was going to swap out my water pump as a preventative maintenance item on my 328i last year, but that got shelved for other more pressing repairs. When I originally booked the water pump replacement, my dealer was surprised that I wanted to do this, because the failure rate, according to them, is very low. My SAs told me that out of the water pumps that DO fail, almost all are in the 100K+ miles category, most are closer to 150K miles. They actually suggested that I really didn't need to do this maintenance item, but certainly would do it if I wanted to.

I find this interesting because as far as I can tell, there's no "business motivation" for the dealer to NOT want to do work on my car.

So I wonder, what's the actual failure rate of the electric water pump ? I know what we can find on forums, but like anything else, people don't come to the forum to say "everything's working good, no problems here". In that sense, we only see biased statistics.

FWIW, I do know that on my 335i, the original electric water pump did fail at ~140K km (~90K miles). TBH, I'm not sure I would expect much more life out of it than that, so I can't really complain at that point. I don't understand where the "to buy you another ~20k miles and then you get to do it again" comes from, as I've seen others say it as well.
__________________


Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-12-2019, 10:59 AM
stewbets stewbets is offline
Registered User
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: '04 545i Sport, '08 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
I don't understand where the "to buy you another ~20k miles and then you get to do it again" comes from, as I've seen others say it as well.
I admit this isn't firsthand knowledge for me. I am basing it off of what I've read in forums. I have come across several forums where users have replaced multiple pumps with very little mileage in between, and the failure point has been in the same location on the plastic cover. And when I discovered that mine has the same crack, it only reaffirmed to me that this is a design flaw. Many people have been quick to point out that the mounting bolts likely weren't torqued properly, causing these repeat failures, but the crack occurs in an entirely unrelated area. And from what I've read, the N52 water pump is quite a bit more robust than the N54.

I've been maintaining my family's (high mileage) vehicles for the past 13 years and have changed exactly 1 belt-driven water pump, and that was only because I was changing the timing belt already, not because it failed. I do agree with you that it's interesting to hear different perspectives. And I'm not really infuriated by this. It just seems like a bit of a fail to me.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Yukoner Yukoner is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Whitehorse, YT
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,408
Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
I admit this isn't firsthand knowledge for me. I am basing it off of what I've read in forums. I have come across several forums where users have replaced multiple pumps with very little mileage in between, and the failure point has been in the same location on the plastic cover. And when I discovered that mine has the same crack, it only reaffirmed to me that this is a design flaw. Many people have been quick to point out that the mounting bolts likely weren't torqued properly, causing these repeat failures, but the crack occurs in an entirely unrelated area. And from what I've read, the N52 water pump is quite a bit more robust than the N54.

I've been maintaining my family's (high mileage) vehicles for the past 13 years and have changed exactly 1 belt-driven water pump, and that was only because I was changing the timing belt already, not because it failed. I do agree with you that it's interesting to hear different perspectives. And I'm not really infuriated by this. It just seems like a bit of a fail to me.
See this is where it's interesting - I wonder if there's some truth to something like correct torquing of bolts, because dealers (I've spoken to two) don't seem to think there's a major issue with water pumps in the E9x series.

My N52 is at ~55K miles, still on original pump
My N54 is at ~120K miles, one pump replacement at ~90K miles

The plan is to proceed with preventative changing of the N52's water pump at next year's dealer visit. We shall see how that goes this time around
__________________


Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-12-2019, 07:23 PM
dharmabmw dharmabmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ottawa, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,712
Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
My N52 electric water pump failed at around the 225,000 km mark. I think failures may also have something to do with replacing the coolant as per the schedule, though I have heard that the early versions of the pumps suffered from poor mechanical mounting of components on the circuit boards.

Some people successfully revived the pump by reattaching the broken leads to a capacitor on the circuit board.
__________________
2006 E61 MT
2010 E91 MT
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-13-2019, 07:36 AM
stewbets stewbets is offline
Registered User
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: '04 545i Sport, '08 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
See this is where it's interesting - I wonder if there's some truth to something like correct torquing of bolts, because dealers (I've spoken to two) don't seem to think there's a major issue with water pumps in the E9x series.
Torque matters in a lot of scenarios. This just isn't one of them. And again, the cracking issue I'm referring to is only regarding the N54 and its pastic-covered pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n54 water pump.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	864495  
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Yukoner Yukoner is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Whitehorse, YT
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,408
Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
I think failures may also have something to do with replacing the coolant as per the schedule
Interesting - this makes total sense, but I wonder if it's something that's overlooked by folks. I change the coolant in ANY used car I buy, pretty much right off the bat. My 328i, 335i and X1 all have nearly new coolant, the 335i and X1 having just been done this past month. Honestly, the cost from the dealer is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things (~$200.00 USD if I recall correctly), so I'll get it done every few years as a preventative maintenance item. I do wonder how many other folks change theirs, and at what frequency.
__________________


Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-13-2019, 03:15 PM
dharmabmw dharmabmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ottawa, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,712
Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
Interesting - this makes total sense, but I wonder if it's something that's overlooked by folks. I change the coolant in ANY used car I buy, pretty much right off the bat. My 328i, 335i and X1 all have nearly new coolant, the 335i and X1 having just been done this past month. Honestly, the cost from the dealer is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things (~$200.00 USD if I recall correctly), so I'll get it done every few years as a preventative maintenance item. I do wonder how many other folks change theirs, and at what frequency.
I have had to replace failed plastic parts on the cooling system that looked like they were made out of wood or cork after many years of exposure to the coolant. I think the coolant chemistry changes radically as it ages and in combination with the high temperatures, starts to erode the plastic parts. I usually try to change my coolant every 3 years. Sometimes the cycle is shorter if I have replace parts or I remove the rad to clean out the fins or the spaces between the rad, oil cooler and AC condenser.
__________________
2006 E61 MT
2010 E91 MT
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.