Limp Mode - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F20 / F21 1 Series (2012 - Current)

F20 / F21 1 Series (2012 - Current)
The second generation of the BMW 1 Series range of hatchback cars. Not available in the USA the F20/F21 was released in 2011 as the successor to the E81/E87. The body styles of the F20/F21 range are a 3-door hatchback (F21) and 5-door hatchback (F20).

The coupe and convertible models were spun off to create the BMW 2 Series.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto:
Limp Mode

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2013 135i with 40k miles on it. While on a open stretch of empty freeway I decided to see what she had and took her up to 130 mph where she abruptly gave me the check engine light and a message that the engine was operating at less than full output. When giving the car any gas the engine would shake and sputter like it was misfiring. I was able to get it to the BMW dealership which was about 2 miles away but now I am scarred that I messed the car up. They told me the computer had put itself in limp mode but I have been waiting all day to hear back from them. The car had great service records and appeared to be in excellent mechanical shape. Has anyone had this happen? Could I have blown my engine by doing 130? I have no warranty

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2019, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 x5d e70 (+JR2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quallich View Post
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2013 135i with 40k miles on it. While on a open stretch of empty freeway I decided to see what she had and took her up to 130 mph where she abruptly gave me the check engine light and a message that the engine was operating at less than full output. When giving the car any gas the engine would shake and sputter like it was misfiring. I was able to get it to the BMW dealership which was about 2 miles away but now I am scarred that I messed the car up. They told me the computer had put itself in limp mode but I have been waiting all day to hear back from them. The car had great service records and appeared to be in excellent mechanical shape. Has anyone had this happen? Could I have blown my engine by doing 130? I have no warranty

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Since yr car is at the dealer, they'll run diagnostics and tell u what codes it threw. I had limp on my x5d and root cause was a faulty maf sensor reading intake temp incorrectly.
Others have changed vacuum lines, vacuum solenoids, turbo actuators, etc.
Until u get the codes, limp mode can be a result of any number of causes or combos. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto:
So the dealer called me and said that the initial codes said that the car had misfired on all six cylinders. Once they cleared them they continued to get a code for a misfire on cylinder #1. They proposed that they replace the injector and spark plug on that cylinder at a cost of $950. They said this was just to start. Any idea why my little jaunt at 4-5 rpms would have caused this? Does it make sense?

Thank you.

P.S. I went to pick the car up and try to drive it to an independent mechanic but the car was running rough and smoking bad so I will need to tow it to get it off of the BMW lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto:
Update....So after towing the car from BMW to a mechanic I was able to get the injector and spark plug changed on cylinder #1 and thankfully she is up and running. I can tell you this was a scary experience and thought for sure something was seriously wrong with my engine as it was barely able to run and made big clouds of smoke over this injector.

I realize now that this post belonged under the E88 forum but that is another thing I learned during this experience.

Last edited by quallich; 01-15-2019 at 06:34 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F20 / F21 1 Series (2012 - Current)
Today's Posts Search