330ci vs. 330ci ZHP: can you feel the difference - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Black Mage

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
You can also make a U-turn without removing your hands from the steering wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Mein Auto: Quadricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Go test drive a ZHP, you'll feel the difference immediately. The steering effort is much higher (less mechanical advantage.) You can also make a U-turn without removing your hands from the steering wheel
But what parts are different? My point is, I'd consider upgrading my steering rack on my 330ci, but need part numbers.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Mod the driver

Mein Auto: BMW
Steering ratio

Steering ratio does not affect mechanical advantage.

The ZHP does have really nice turn in. I noticed that when I test drove one. I have the ZSP and it is a great DD. ZHP is a nice upgrade if you are looking at a used 330.

But please- don't believe the hype! It is just a few bolt on parts away from the regular 330 and is really a late-in-the-model-line up marketing refresh; like the competition package on the M3.

There is no reason not to get the best E46 330i they offered and that would be the ZHP. It is an incremental improvement, ~8% better. The steering wheel falls apart and you can get the 6-speed on any sport 330.

My 330 has a 6-speed and the higher rear gear is actually a benefit for DD use.

In sum, looking at a used 330, get the ZHP. Anyone who says the M3 is too stiff should get a sex change.

Last edited by simon325e; 05-17-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 Xdrive48, F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon325e View Post
It is just a few bolt on parts away from the regular 330 and is really a late-in-the-model-line up marketing refresh; like the competition package on the M3.
few bolt ons huh? Try bolting them on if you have the courage then...
Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Mod the driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post
few bolt ons huh? Try bolting them on if you have the courage then...
Not sure what courage one needs to swap a diff or put in some cams.

Is ZHP an option package or a religion?
Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Steering ratio does not affect mechanical advantage.

The ZHP does have really nice turn in. I noticed that when I test drove one. I have the ZCP and it is a great DD. ZHP is a nice upgrade if you are looking at a used 330.

But please- don't believe the hype! It is just a few bolt on parts away from the regular 330 and is really a late-in-the-model-line up marketing refresh; like the competition package on the M3.

There is no reason not to get the best E46 330i they offered and that would be the ZHP. It is an incremental improvement, ~8% better. The steering wheel falls apart and you can get the 6-speed on any sport 330.

My 330 has a 6-speed and the higher rear gear is actually a benefit for DD use.

In sum, looking at a used 330, get the ZHP. Anyone who says the M3 is too stiff should get a sex change.

LMAO!

8%

That's some of the funniest stuff I've read yet on this forum. Another guy that couldn't afford a ZHP and is all pissed off and jealous.

"The best E46 330i they offer" is NOT the same car in ALOT of ways. There's more on a ZHP than just "a diff and some cams".......An 8% improvement........I'm crying I'm laughing so hard here.

Last edited by ZHPEE; 05-17-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Mod the driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPEE View Post
LMAO!

8%

That's some of the funniest stuff I've read yet on this forum. Another guy that couldn't afford a ZHP and is all pissed off and jealous.

"The best E46 330i they offer" is NOT the same car in ALOT of ways. An 8% improvement...... There's more on a ZHP than just "a diff and some cams".......I'm crying I'm laughing so hard here.
You're right. It is more like a 4.4%* improvement unless you count the front spoiler which makes it 5%.

*10hp/225hp = +4.4%
Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: E70 Xdrive48, F30 328i
Quote:
Not sure what courage one needs to swap a diff or put in some cams.

Is ZHP an option package or a religion?
For some reason, I don't think you have the courage to bolt them on, otherwise you'd have done it, right?

And it is a religion
Old 05-17-2008, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330Ci
Some of the people who get the ZHP package keep forgetting that it is just a package, not a special blessing from Michael Shumacher that makes their car somehow 100 times better than any other 3 series. Just ignore them.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:35 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: Cayman S 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman-O View Post
How much would it cost to upgrade to zhp ?
It's interesting, I did see recently some ads for the equivalent of the option package(s) used on the car available now from BMW itself. A quick internet check confirmed this with this announcement from BMW NA:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/features/...php?news_id=85

The tricky bit would probably be the cost of labor plus all these parts (engine/cams, exhaust, suspension, differential) in an aftermarket setting would likely be higher than the $3,900 option price from the factory.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:03 AM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the power upgrade - I doubt I'd feel a 10hp increase for the cost. For the suspension, I'd go with a better aftermarket setup, so I don't miss the ZHP setup. For the diff, a 3.07 isn't low enough and doesn't have an LSD, so who cares. Its just this magical quicker ratio steering I keep hearing about that has me interested. Not a disbeliever, but unless someone can show me a part number or even documentation of its existance, I'm going to start calling BS on it.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:19 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: Cayman S 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the power upgrade - I doubt I'd feel a 10hp increase for the cost. For the suspension, I'd go with a better aftermarket setup, so I don't miss the ZHP setup. For the diff, a 3.07 isn't low enough and doesn't have an LSD, so who cares. Its just this magical quicker ratio steering I keep hearing about that has me interested. Not a disbeliever, but unless someone can show me a part number or even documentation of its existance, I'm going to start calling BS on it.
Could be.

realoem.com lists one rack for my car. The original brochure for my car does not list anything about a different "steering rack" in the PP description. The BMW Performance Package description bulletin I have also does not list anything about the steering, either.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
FWIW, realoem.com is not the holy grail of part numbers. I have looked up part numbers I have had in my hand and they are not found on realoem.com.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 05-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Damn, wish I would have see this thread yesterday - I would have been able to compare directly to several non-ZHP 330s at the CCA autocross.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:08 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
To the original poster of this thread:

I would never suggest buying a car you haven't test driven first - just my two cents.

Ed

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Mod the driver

Steering

Yeah, as far as I know there is no steering rack difference. I ws thinking of the ZCP M3, which does have a different steering gear part (32132229397 vs. 32132282642).

The turn-in on the ZHP is nicer just due to the camber change. Lower control arms are different on the ZHP vs. the sport pack.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Yeah, as far as I know there is no steering rack difference. I ws thinking of the ZCP M3, which does have a different steering gear part (32132229397 vs. 32132282642).

The turn-in on the ZHP is nicer just due to the camber change. Lower control arms are different on the ZHP vs. the sport pack.
The steering rack in the ZHP actually is different than a stock E46 rack. You could, for real (not internet) verification, call a BMW parts department and ask what the part numbers are.

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 05-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
I think it's clear that all of us who parted with the 3900 extra bucks for ZHP wasted our money on 10hp, or are we even sure we got that? Realoem.com doesn't have a different engine code, so it must not be any different than a "garden variety" 330.

I feel ripped off...

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 05-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 ZHP Convertible
My wife had a ZCP and I had a ZHP for 3 years. I got to drive both all the time. THe ZHP was clearly superior and it is really more than the sum of its parts.

Yes there are a few "bolt on" pieces of the ZCP that would make it "equal" to some parts of the ZHP (starting with the better steering wheel, decklid spoiler, Mtechnic front end etc...) whats under the hood and in the suspension just make it the perfect car for almost any task. The shifting mecahnism was WAYYY better than the long throw of the ZCP. And if you wanted to mod it further , maybe one of the most perfect cars ever? Overstating it? Well I consistantly got 31 mpg on the higheay road, comfortable for 4, looks PERFECT IMO, turn in was amazing (a little too much body roll in the ZHP a LOT too much in the ZCP) the only thing that really needed modding to me was the very weak HK sound system (but thats true of all BMW's the sound systems arent worth the money and really need to be better)

OF all the grat BMW's, the E46 ZHP is one of the best ever. Now that I have a Z4M (and REALLY love it) I still like going back and driving my Wifes ZHP- she got the hand me down and we wont let it go - just to remind myself just how smooth a car can be.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Ubergeek

SilvrZHP, I believe you mean ZSP, not ZCP (ZCP = M3 Competition package).

cwsqbm: 32132282296. I believe that is the magic ZHP steering rack part number.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering.gif
Views:	3035
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	147248  

Last edited by KrisL; 05-18-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Ubergeek

...also... it isn't difficult to verify. I'll post a youtube video of me turning my wheel from lock to lock. Someone with a non-ZHP 330i do the same so we can solve this .
Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 AM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
SilvrZHP, I believe you mean ZSP, not ZCP (ZCP = M3 Competition package).

cwsqbm: 32132282296. I believe that is the magic ZHP steering rack part number.

ok, how'd you find that? I've looked at various ages and models in realoem, and only ever find the one highlighted in red. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto:
I don't have a ZHP but I believe in the steering rack.

For the money it's actually not a bad value.
Body kit
m3 lip spoiler
SSK
ZHP knob
3.07 diff
ZHP exhaust
cams
something about the suspension?
18' wheels

what I don't like is that the cams cause problems and I'm personally not a fan of the 135Ms... although most people love them.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
ok, how'd you find that? I've looked at various ages and models in realoem, and only ever find the one highlighted in red. Thanks.
I just searched for my car like I normally do. What's odd is that I looked at year 2004 too, and that p/n didn't show up at all.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Ubergeek

Here's my youtube video - can someone without ZHP do the same? The video starts with my steering centered.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search