Auto trans problems (I knew it would happen one day) - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci (5 speed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
OK, Mr. smolck, I'm a little reluctant to make fun of you, ....... but I'm gonna do it any way!

Let's think about this. If your tranny and its current fluid are getting too hot because they're not getting sufficient cooling it does stand to reason that absent correcting the cooling issue the tranny and new fluid would also get too hot, right?

Yes. Feel free to make fun, I am not thinking clearly.

I am a little po'd as this "transmission problem" is not supposed to happen to me! It isn't in the budget right now...

I guess I'll do both over the next week or so. I also need an oil change which could be adding to the problem since it is past 9k miles. All I can say is, CRAP! AND I just spent an extra $70 on Angel Eyes I DIDNT FREAKING NEED! Thanks Umnitza for customer service that is second to EVERYONE, including my local phone and cable companies. Won't be buying any more of their SH** anytime soon!
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto:
do transmission oil flush might help,but i woudl just disconnect battery for 1 minute,then connect it and make connection tight(will reset computer in car,to clean nonsense errors).
Old 08-16-2008, 03:08 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Well, it cant hurt to change the ATF fluid (keep in mind half of it lives in the torque converter, so you'll only get half of it out). From the symptoms you describe, the issue is *heat* related.
The only logical linkage between the AT and the cooling system is the thermo in the expansion tank base. If the ATF were the issue, you would think the problem would be present from cold.

I dont have any experience with slusshies... is there a fluid dipstick ??

Just a guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Well, it cant hurt to change the ATF fluid (keep in mind half of it lives in the torque converter, so you'll only get half of it out). From the symptoms you describe, the issue is *heat* related.
The only logical linkage between the AT and the cooling system is the thermo in the expansion tank base. If the ATF were the issue, you would think the problem would be present from cold.

I dont have any experience with slusshies... is there a fluid dipstick ??

Just a guess...
NO! What is it with BMW and their aversion to dipsticks? (referring to the lack of an oil dipstick now in the E90) I guess they figure one dipstick per car is enough (the one behind the steering wheel).

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:34 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
NO! What is it with BMW and their aversion to dipsticks? (referring to the lack of an oil dipstick now in the E90) I guess they figure one dipstick per car is enough (the one behind the steering wheel).
NO doubt. I will follow Scott ZHP's logic as it makes sense and also reset battery.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 323i/97 528i/05 X5
The standard code reading wont show trans errors most of the time. You need something fancier than a normal odb scanner to get at all the codes stored in the car. Also if you play hard and are low of fluid you can get a trans error too. Without knowing the exact error its kind of hard to tell you whats wrong with it.

If you want I can scan it for you.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Just read page 1, hard turn plus warning light = low fluid.

Do NOT drive the car anymore till you top off the fluid. If you keep driving it without the hard turns your not going to get the warning light but you are torturing your clutches and such in the trans and will kill it or cause slipping in a gear if you keep it up.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
The standard code reading wont show trans errors most of the time. You need something fancier than a normal odb scanner to get at all the codes stored in the car. Also if you play hard and are low of fluid you can get a trans error too. Without knowing the exact error its kind of hard to tell you whats wrong with it.

If you want I can scan it for you.
Quote:
Just read page 1, hard turn plus warning light = low fluid.

Do NOT drive the car anymore till you top off the fluid. If you keep driving it without the hard turns your not going to get the warning light but you are torturing your clutches and such in the trans and will kill it or cause slipping in a gear if you keep it up.
See, smolck, I told you Scott ZHP had no idea what he was talking about!!

www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:32 PM

I pm'd him and posted that about not driving it, I bet he's already off driving somewhere
Old 08-16-2008, 05:27 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
I pm'd him and posted that about not driving it, I bet he's already off driving somewhere
Nope. Just changed the oil and cranked it long enough to circulate the oil. I found the trans kit stuff at my local parts place. Guess I am gonna go do that tomorrow. My wife is gonna kick my a$$! Thanks to all. I will report my findings.

Crowz, How you gonna scan my car from Randolph county?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:51 PM

Ill load all my scanner stuff and notebook computer in the superduty truck and haul arse to bham. Its a 200 miles total drive or more but if you need help, then thats what I'll be doing.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:45 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Ill load all my scanner stuff and notebook computer in the superduty truck and haul arse to bham. Its a 200 miles total drive or more but if you need help, then thats what I'll be doing.
Wow. I appreciate the offer. I think I'll try the fluid/filter change and also a new expansion tank and trans thermostat. Might even replace the cooler too. Sheesh, another $500 out the door!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:52 PM

It needs the fluid changed if it hasnt been done but topping the fluid off with a quart or two should get you by. Mine was almost 3 quarts low when I bought it.
Did the same thing when slinging it hard in the curves. Actually it didnt really take that much of a turn to piss it off. But it was very low. Your probably a quart low or a tad more.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
It needs the fluid changed if it hasnt been done but topping the fluid off with a quart or two should get you by. Mine was almost 3 quarts low when I bought it.
Did the same thing when slinging it hard in the curves. Actually it didnt really take that much of a turn to piss it off. But it was very low. Your probably a quart low or a tad more.
hmmm... how in the world do you check the level? I don't like wondering if mine could be low and not being able to find out!

www.bmwcca.org
Old 08-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Its just like a stick shift. You add fluid in the fill hole on the side till it runs out.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Its just like a stick shift. You add fluid in the fill hole on the side till it runs out.
So, no worries about over filling I guess? I have to admit, I haven't looked under the hood for a place to fill the tranny and it sounds like you're saying the fill hole is actually on the tranny case, requiring a trip under the car, correct? Thanks.

btw - I do at least know where the drain plug is.

www.bmwcca.org
Old 08-17-2008, 01:45 AM

Its in the bottom of the pan for draining and then theres a fill plug on the drivers side twards the back.

I really should shoot some pics of it next time I change the fluid.

But your right on the cant overfill it. The tricky part is running the car and shifting from drive to reverse and back a few times so it pulls up what it wants while filling it. Its easy to not get enough in there. But usually your close going to get real close no matter what.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 AM
ROLL TIDE!

So in theory I could just add a qt or whatever to the trans and then change it later, right? I am in a pinch $$ wise right now....
Old 08-17-2008, 03:37 PM

Sure. Just put fluid in the fill hole till it comes back out and your topped off.

Just make sure you get the wife to work the gears from drive to reverse and back to park, etc while filling.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Sure. Just put fluid in the fill hole till it comes back out and your topped off.

Just make sure you get the wife to work the gears from drive to reverse and back to park, etc while filling.
And if she has PMS, get someone else to help you....that life insurance policy can look mighty tempting.... :-)
Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
And if she has PMS, get someone else to help you....that life insurance policy can look mighty tempting.... :-)
HA HA HA!!!! I am worth more dead than alive.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:

Where would the fluid have gone? If the trans is sealed and not leaking, how did it get low?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 00' 323i
I would check your headlight fluid it might be low after you installed the angel eyes. Just kidding, were you able to add ATF?
135m Wheels
BMW CCA #407107
Old 08-17-2008, 09:42 PM

Seals can weep, someone could of replaced a trans line in the past, radiator repairs can cause atf fluid loss, etc.

Mine was from the previous owner having a trans line replaced. The shop never topped it off for them.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Seals can weep, someone could of replaced a trans line in the past, radiator repairs can cause atf fluid loss, etc.

Mine was from the previous owner having a trans line replaced. The shop never topped it off for them.
Well I did NOT add any fluid yesterday and went ahead and drove the car "gently" to work (about 40 miles) with no issues. I did top off my expansion tank with coolant though, I am starting to think maybe when my expansion tank gets low it is causing problems with the thermostat in the bottom of it that Scott mentioned. I dunno. Guess I'll top off the trans fluid tonight and then budget a fluid and filter change in the next months budget along with a cooling system overhaul. Sheesh!

Amazing thing is the trans is acting fine. No wierd shifting, no holding in gear too long, no slipping, nothing. It runs fine. Just dropped into limp mode on me...... Guess I need to buy a peake scanner.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search