BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Thoughts, rim damage

2K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  PXBMW 
#1 ·
We had a snow storm here, i attempted to go down a hill .... big mistake once i got to.the curve, i slid right down, jack knifing and running into the curb.
My drivers side rear rim and i assume tire are done.
I have run flats. It is looking pressure as i could hear the air escaping. I attempted to move the car today but it kept fish tailing.
Is it possible i can't drive on the run flat?
And is that rim repairable or just scrap it and get a like new one local or online
Thank you!

#3 ·
You can attach a picture directly to your post using the paperclip icon.

Do you have summer tires on your car? run flats can normally be driven at low speeds for a while (which is why they are called run flats) but it would depend on what happened to the sidewall etc.

I would be more concerned with why you slid down a hill... If you have summer tires on the car, they will not be safe to drive in on snow (or even the cold). Kind of like hockey pucks on ice.

#4 ·
I had a cracked wheel welded, straightened and repaired for ~$260. Depending on your rim a new price at an online BMW store is about $400 - $700.

I would not drive it if it's fishtailing, that sounds like a massive damage and I'm not sure the suspension is fine. Put on the spare tire for now.

#5 ·
get the car towed to the dealer. fishtailing sounds like you've damaged the suspension.

#6 ·
It was icy still on the road, i think thats why it was fishtailing. I hope, we'll see tomorrow. It should be warm enough to see if its drivable.
If not i will get it towed.
Yes, they must be summer tires. I wasn't aware until now that winter run flats existed
I bumped into the curb and the rim hit it just perfect. Pics below

#8 ·
It's losing air due to the bent rim, tire might be still ok, but you better don't drive it bc the edge of the rim could pinch the tire.

I don't think fishtailing was due to the ice. In fact ice tends to lessen bent wheel symptoms. Have the suspension checked.

#13 · (Edited)
I think this is your rim, BMW price is $406.
http://parts.bmwmonterey.com/p/BMW_...y-rim-812JX18--ET37/43692552/36118036932.html

If you put your VIN here, it will tell which rim you have.
http://bimmer.work/

Just giving my thoughts here so you know what you will face.

Regarding suspension, the amount of parts need to be replaced is a bit negotiable. If insurance pays for it then just let them do everything.

If they don't find anything bent, they will want to do an alignment which is reasonable and I would do it for my car too ~$200.

- Now if the car is out of alignment and they think bushings are due for a replacement: my experience is these cars need new bushings at around 120k miles. If your car's mileage is very low, let them replace those only if they are cracked or if they are so deformed that an alignment isn't possible.

- If control arms are bent, they have to be replaced.

- I don't think shock absorbers are involved but the guys might recommend them too if they are money hungry. Over 40k miles they replace them in pairs, below that only the affected side. Personally i would only let them replace if the car's mileage is close to 100k miles or there is an actual damage.

- wheel bearing doesn't like lateral hammering, which just happened during the accident. Right now it won't show any signs but might get worn in the next couple of thousand miles due to this hit. Therefore they might recommend you to replace it. You can leave this for later if there is no actual symptom.

hopefully nothing more is involved. rear subframe is a massive piece. I think the masssive deformation of the rim absorbed most of the momentum so hopefully that saved the other parts from further damage.

#14 · (Edited)
We had a snow storm here, i attempted to go down a hill .... big mistake once i got to.the curve, i slid right down, jack knifing and running into the curb.
My drivers side rear rim and i assume tire are done.
I have run flats. It is looking pressure as i could hear the air escaping. I attempted to move the car today but it kept fish tailing.
Is it possible i can't drive on the run flat?
And is that rim repairable or just scrap it and get a like new one local or online
Thank you!
First -- only a truck with a trailer can jack knife.

If you are worried about your tire, you should go to the dealer or a tire shop and have them check it out.

Lastly, if you just scraped your rim, it can be refinished. Call around to local body shops or detail shops in your area. I had it done on my Lexus I owned before this car, and my rims looked like new afterwards.

EDIT--I just saw your pics. Clearly those rims can't be refinished. Sorry-- :( Bummer.

#22 ·
Hi guys
Well suspension is off, they can't tow until later this evening.
The rim will be replaced but tire looks salvagable.
I need to look up my VIN .... they think i have air suspension? Which is what cars like mine have?
Does anyone know the general cost of that repair. My car ins is very high as it is, as with my deductible so id like to fix on my own.
I'm trying to attach a pic of my car so you can see how its sitting a little lower on the back end.

Attachments

#25 ·
In the pix of the car you posted today, something looks very "off" in the way that rear wheel sits (at least to my eye, or it might be the angle of the pix?).

Be interesting to see what the end result is.

#26 ·
Yep, there is no air suspension, ride height depends on the spring.

Looks like either the wheel carrier ($706) broke (which I think) or the lower strut ($217) (that holds the strut) and rear control arm ($70).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DW33-USA-06-2010-E93N-BMW-328i&diagId=33_1230

wheel carrier you can get from dismantlers, but will need new bushings ($20-40) and possibly a bearing ($124).

So my guess is: a wheel 400, broken susp parts 800, labor 800. So at least $2000 at an independent shop using BMW parts.

You can save some on parts by ordering them online.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.