New 640i GT XDrive - Looking for cool features! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > G32 6 Series Gran Turismo (2018 - Current)

G32 6 Series Gran Turismo (2018 - Current)
The all new 6 Series Gran Turismo follow in the footsteps of the F07 5 Series GT. Arriving in dealerships this fall the 6 Series GT offers 5 Series sizing with 6 Series styling.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Coupe
New 640i GT XDrive - Looking for cool features!

All,

After a harrowing 5 year break, I am back to owning a BMW. Coming from a fully loaded 2007 335i to a 640i GT XDrive is very exciting. And, I am realizing there are so many cool (dare I say, hidden) features that I'd love to explore.

3D View, Sending POIs to the car via the BMW Connected App, Parking views, the ability to write on the iDrive knob, etc are the ones that I have discovered so far. So what other cool features am I missing? I am sure there are a ton more.

Looking forward to enjoying this car even more with your help

Thanks y'all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2018, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 640i X-drive GT
There are a myriad number of features and are further complicated by which options you have. I came from a 535ix so the shock wasn't that great but even then there were many tweaks to existing systems. Read your paper manual for ALL features and then read the on-board manual for only the features that are on your specific car.
Enjoy.
2018 640i X-drive GT; Alpine White, Black Nappa, Piano Blk; M-Sport, Premium (Ceramic, Sirius, Soft-close, Ventilated & Massage Comfort Seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane Keep, Evasion Assist, Steering & Lane Control, Cross Traffic, ACC with Stop & Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 535i X-drive
Old 12-14-2018, 10:12 AM
GT 4 Me!

Mein Auto: 640xGT ELR EXT Miata
Welcome to 6er GT ownership from another returning owner.

One of the things I think is cool is how the stop-start function automatically restarts the car at a stoplight, anticipating the need to move again once the camera sees that the car in front of you gets going again. I'm not keen on start-stop in general, but I marvel at some of these technology tidbits & this feature does temper the irritation a bit.

I really like the varying color ambient lighting too, but that one is quite obvious and I'm sure you've found it already.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2018, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubya View Post
...the stop-start function automatically restarts the car at a stoplight, anticipating the need to move again once the camera sees that the car in front of you gets going again ...
Just an FYI so that others that my read this (and don't know) will leave with the correct understanding of how the auto start/stop function works.

If the engine restarted after the car in front of you takes off...if you were the 1st one in line and the engine turned off...then the light turned green and there was no other car in front of you...you'd be the initiation of a traffic back-up since no car is in front of you.

The engine restarts under several conditions:
  1. When the brake pedal is released (automatic tranny)
  2. When the clutch pedal is pressed (manual tranny)
  3. If the engine voltage drops below a certain value due to power consumption by various systems running (rear defrost, AC, radio, seat heaters, etc)

And inversely, the engine wont cut off if the battery's voltage is too low due to power consumption by various electrical systems when you come to a standstill.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Old 12-27-2018, 02:51 PM
GT 4 Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Just an FYI so that others that my read this (and don't know) will leave with the correct understanding of how the auto start/stop function works.

If the engine restarted after the car in front of you takes off...if you were the 1st one in line and the engine turned off...then the light turned green and there was no other car in front of you...you'd be the initiation of a traffic back-up since no car is in front of you.

The engine restarts under several conditions:
  1. When the brake pedal is released (automatic tranny)
  2. When the clutch pedal is pressed (manual tranny)
  3. If the engine voltage drops below a certain value due to power consumption by various systems running (rear defrost, AC, radio, seat heaters, etc)

And inversely, the engine wont cut off if the battery's voltage is too low due to power consumption by various electrical systems when you come to a standstill.
I believe that the instance I mention is actually a Point 4 in your list: It causes no backing-up-traffic issue as you describe--if anything it reduces that problem. It simply starts the car again in anticipation of the need to move--if you take your foot off the brake it does the same thing. So it's redundant, but it does make the start from standstill just a touch sooner. I think it's a new feature and may not even be part of some models yet?
Old 01-03-2019, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
I believe that the instance I mention is actually a Point 4 in your list: It causes no backing-up-traffic issue as you describe--if anything it reduces that problem. It simply starts the car again in anticipation of the need to move--if you take your foot off the brake it does the same thing. So it's redundant, but it does make the start from standstill just a touch sooner. I think it's a new feature and may not even be part of some models yet?
I have always noted the opposite problem of a four way stop with ACC. If you are second in line, and the car in front of you leaves, your car will think it can move forward now since there is no one in front of you; but, of course, it is not yet your turn. Only an issue if this happens when your car is able to start up on its own without your pressing the ACC button or stepping on the accelerator.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:15 AM
GT 4 Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I have always noted the opposite problem of a four way stop with ACC. If you are second in line, and the car in front of you leaves, your car will think it can move forward now since there is no one in front of you; but, of course, it is not yet your turn. Only an issue if this happens when your car is able to start up on its own without your pressing the ACC button or stepping on the accelerator.
But don't you want to move forward to the stop sign in that situation? (Which obviously requires starting the car). And because it's just now restarted, it wouldn't shut down again unless the wait became longer than the time allotted.

This is definitely a "feature" that I wish wasn't integral to the car. It does work better in the 6er than in some others I've experienced, but altogether it's still just a PITA. Having the temporary override switch makes it slightly more tolerable, but the car would definitely be a better car if we could have a disable option in iDrive. That way the people who want it could still have it, and the rest of us wouldn't need to be bothered by it. While I marvel at the technological capability, especially the camera anticipating the next "go", it's a feature born of artificial influence (government mileage regulations), not from consumer demand.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
But don't you want to move forward to the stop sign in that situation? (Which obviously requires starting the car). And because it's just now restarted, it wouldn't shut down again unless the wait became longer than the time allotted.

This is definitely a "feature" that I wish wasn't integral to the car. It does work better in the 6er than in some others I've experienced, but altogether it's still just a PITA. Having the temporary override switch makes it slightly more tolerable, but the car would definitely be a better car if we could have a disable option in iDrive. That way the people who want it could still have it, and the rest of us wouldn't need to be bothered by it. While I marvel at the technological capability, especially the camera anticipating the next "go", it's a feature born of artificial influence (government mileage regulations), not from consumer demand.
Yes BUT often the car in front has edged up and the second car could be just about at the stop sign. But my point is that the car won't just pull up to the stop sign and stop again; it will want to keep going (of course the cross traffic alert might sound) right through the stop sign. Gives new meaning to the term "rolling stop".

Not a big deal but one to keep in mind.

BTW...I have the PHEV (530e) and it doesn't stop/start ever. It will crawl forward at a stop just like an old car unless my foot is on the brake or the auto hold is turned on. I believe the reason is that it is using the electric motor at the stop.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
640i gt, features, updates

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > G32 6 Series Gran Turismo (2018 - Current)
Today's Posts Search