N63 pre & post-CCP service database - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 550i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaker6 View Post
Hello all.

I hate that I love this car so much...When it's good, its oh so good. Got it back from the dealer, which I am unimpressed with, I will be reviewing them in the appropriate forum, which is an awesome idea. Anyway they performed all CCP part replacement except for the timing chain, was in spec, and the injectors were the latest version. Replaced a fuel sensor, and Car running very good now but I decided to get new Sparks and Coils for this beast. As I have no idea when they were done last, and I like doing it, might as well do it. I have been doing some research on DIYs, there isn't much out there, but a couple sweet posts that should help. Waiting for coils...Im actually looking forward to doing it. Curious how the sparks look.
Got them at a pretty good price off of Ebay, yes...Ebay. I matched part numbers, and verified with the highly positively rated seller. I think sparks x8 and coils x8 with shipping was around 200. not bad at all!

The tech at BMW recommended I change the turbo oil return lines, which are "leaking." Could be so, but I am NOT paying the stealership 3k to do it. They can suck it. I found a good indie that is very reputable and certified to do it for under 9 hundo. If you are in San Deigo, and need an awesome indy BMW shop - B and B Autohaus is your place.

I got the car home, opened the hood and looked around. I noticed something interesting, one of the coolant lines looked like it had been strategically scored with a knife...it had some pipe fibers sticking out and was a little buldgy. I wouldn't put it past a tech to score a hose, only to have it burst and have me come back in and spend thousands of dollars.

This is only speculation of course, but normal wear vs. scoring looks very different. I made a quick fix on this little 2 inch hose so it wont burst on me. I bit the large caliber bullet, and ordered all the coolant lines to the turbos x4, and both oil lines to the turbos with gaskets and O-rings. Lets just do this. B and B said they would not charge more for the coolant lines since they are there anyway. so that is pretty cool. Looked at other hoses, minor coolant crusties here or there, but no major leaks. *Knock on wood*

I sourced all the parts off of Amazon believe it or not, and they were way cheaper than any other auto parts online store. BMW dealership Parts Departments got wise, and started selling OE parts on Amazon. Smart. They make more, I save more. we all win.

Can't wait to get my new sparks and coils in, oil and coolant lines replaced, and have this baby running 100% BEAST again.
I had a few problems with my 2011 550xi and the dealer replaced the valve guides, turbo coolant lines, all injectors, spark plugs, replaced the motor for the rear shade, replaced the iDrive knob, and several other minor things. Total cost ... $600 ... I had the foresight to purchase an extended warranty when I bought the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnguy321 View Post
I had a few problems with my 2011 550xi and the dealer replaced the valve guides, turbo coolant lines, all injectors, spark plugs, replaced the motor for the rear shade, replaced the iDrive knob, and several other minor things. Total cost ... $600 ... I had the foresight to purchase an extended warranty when I bought the vehicle.
Doesn't matter what car people purchase but hey need to do their due diligence on any car they purchase. What company did u go through for your extended warranty?

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Old 04-28-2019, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i,
I hate that I love this car so much...

You are so, so right!

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Old 04-29-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
Doesn't matter what car people purchase but hey need to do their due diligence on any car they purchase. What company did u go through for your extended warranty?
National
Old 04-30-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnguy321 View Post
National
Thank you, when did you get the warranty? I've been quoted as high as $5500 for a 5 yr 175K mile warranty.

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Thank you, when did you get the warranty? I've been quoted as high as $5500 for a 5 yr 175K mile warranty.
I've had my car for 3 years and have a 7 year loan. The warranty is for the life of the loan and it was around $4k. Included 5 oil changes, wheel protection, and other stuff.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: F10 2011 550i Twin Turbo
So, I am new here to the forum, but I purchase my 2011 550i with twin turbo in Oct '17. I have the N63 obviously and have noticed higher than usual oil consumption lately. I still have less than 90k miles on the car. Is this CCP something that I can still get from my dealer? Is there a way to tell if it was previously done by a former owner? I had never owned a BMW prior to this one and I did research what I could before buying, but never saw anything about this specifically. I see a lot of people saying that buyers should do their research, but most non-BMW enthusiasts have no idea that the car they are researching has a pre-2012 N63 motor in it. I had to do a lot of searching today just to figure out if mine was an N62 or N63 as different VIN readers gave conflicting results. I'm just hoping I can head any major issues off at the pass.

UPDATE:
I called the dealership where I purchased it today and spoke with a service advisor. He said that the CCP was already performed on my car in 2015. He also said that there is a new (2018) Class Action Settlement regarding these engines and excessive oil consumption. So I have an appointment to bring it in on Monday for diagnosis. Apparently, the Settlement covers 100% of most repairs and a percentage based on mileage if an engine replacement is required. After the diagnostic, I will have to drive the car for 1000 miles and then bring it back in for them to measure oil consumption. Repairs will follow that if needed.

Last edited by PMDColeslaw; 06-04-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: New info
Old 06-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDColeslaw View Post
UPDATE:
I called the dealership where I purchased it today and spoke with a service advisor. He said that the CCP was already performed on my car in 2015. He also said that there is a new (2018) Class Action Settlement regarding these engines and excessive oil consumption. So I have an appointment to bring it in on Monday for diagnosis. Apparently, the Settlement covers 100% of most repairs and a percentage based on mileage if an engine replacement is required. After the diagnostic, I will have to drive the car for 1000 miles and then bring it back in for them to measure oil consumption. Repairs will follow that if needed.
So it sounds like you purchased the car from a BMW dealer, I'm just thinking out loud, why didn' the dealer do the would on the car BEFORE they sold it, poor customer service.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:45 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07, 2017 F31
@PMD, your update info about dealership response is reasonable (and encouraging that they will take care of you), IMO. Only thing I would advise is not waiting if you experience oil consumption warning prior to 1000 miles.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
So it sounds like you purchased the car from a BMW dealer, I'm just thinking out loud, why didn' the dealer do the would on the car BEFORE they sold it, poor customer service.
Dealers of any manufacturer will never do a proactive test. They will always wait for the customer complaint. If they do it proactively the test is on their dime. If they wait for the customer to complain, it's on the manufacturer's dime.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 06-04-2019, 04:07 PM
There is no spoon

FYI, here is one thread on the class action. I haven't been on this site in a long time and using it via mobile is hindersome so I'm not certain if the beginning of it has the contact info for the class action...but it is eye opening for someone who has not experienced this oil consumption issue on a turbo equipped engine. As an aside, we have an Audi with this oil consumption issue, (were also told it was normal by the dealer) it never gets better and I have therefore shifted to buying a new vehicle so if I ever experience this in the future I know to be a tyrant at pushing back and have the mileage/time to do so as this seems to be vehicle specific since we have an N63 2010 with no oil consumption (just as other Audi owners have reported).

Finally, I try to encourage all owners to question the dealership if they ever receive pushback from a dealer regarding oil consumption with the following question: If my vehicle is considered in spec consuming x qts oil/ x miles, do you contact owners who do not exhibit oil consumption to fix their vehicle to be in spec? Personally, I don't understand how consuming oil and not consuming oil can both be "normal".
Old 06-04-2019, 04:08 PM
There is no spoon

Nuts, forgot the link: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...1282572?page=4
Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Well, it turns out the CCP was completed prior to me purchasing it. I don't know if the dealer did it or if the previous owner did, but I imagine most dealers aren't going to go out of their way for that kind of thing. Also, to the credit of my dealership, if the service advisor hadn't volunteered the info about this class action settlement, I wouldn't have known about it. He could have easily said that the oil consumption was normal or that I could bring it in and pay for a diagnostic, but he immediately suggested the settlement and was extremely helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
@PMD, your update info about dealership response is reasonable (and encouraging that they will take care of you), IMO. Only thing I would advise is not waiting if you experience oil consumption warning prior to 1000 miles.
Good to know! I will definitely bring it back as soon as that warning hits. Out of curiosity, I have had that warning a few times now and each time the engine is about 1qt low. In past vehicles being a qt. low was never enough to set off warnings or anything. Is this engine different in it's needs or is this just BMW setting off alarms earlier than necessary?

Quote:
Thanks for this! I will check it out.

Last edited by PMDColeslaw; 06-05-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
FYI, here is one thread on the class action. I haven't been on this site in a long time and using it via mobile is hindersome so I'm not certain if the beginning of it has the contact info for the class action...but it is eye opening for someone who has not experienced this oil consumption issue on a turbo equipped engine. As an aside, we have an Audi with this oil consumption issue, (were also told it was normal by the dealer) it never gets better and I have therefore shifted to buying a new vehicle so if I ever experience this in the future I know to be a tyrant at pushing back and have the mileage/time to do so as this seems to be vehicle specific since we have an N63 2010 with no oil consumption (just as other Audi owners have reported).

Finally, I try to encourage all owners to question the dealership if they ever receive pushback from a dealer regarding oil consumption with the following question: If my vehicle is considered in spec consuming x qts oil/ x miles, do you contact owners who do not exhibit oil consumption to fix their vehicle to be in spec? Personally, I don't understand how consuming oil and not consuming oil can both be "normal".
So this is extremely eye-opening and a little terrifying! I am also having battery drain issues, which I have been told since I bought the car by other owners, the dealer, and forums is normal. According to this settlement, it's not and it is another issue with the N63.

I am not a guy who purchases luxury vehicles every four years. My 2011 550i GT is the first I've ever owned and I bought it because I thought I was getting a great deal on it, and I always loved the way BMW's looked. It was always kind of a dream for me to own one, and I never thought I would. I'm not poor or anything, but I'm a $30K to $40K new car guy, not a $90K one. I paid $14K for the 550 in Oct. '17. Obviously, no one mentioned the lemon N63, other than to tell me it was a turbo with only 72,000 miles on it and trimmed to the max. I specifically asked the salesman what was wrong with the car that they were willing to sell it for that (sticker was over $18K and I low ball offered $14K never expecting them to deal) and he told me it was just that it had been on the lot for more than 30 days, was the end of the quarter, and they were trying to get the older stock moved out asap.

Now I'm just hoping I can get these issues fixed under the settlement before something goes really wrong with the car. I don't have thousands of dollars to throw at repairs, and I feel guilty selling it to someone without telling them about the issues, so I'll never get a good price for it privately.

Last edited by PMDColeslaw; 06-05-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDColeslaw View Post
... Obviously, no one mentioned the lemon N63, other than to tell me it was a turbo with only 72,000 miles on it and trimmed to the max. I specifically asked the salesman what was wrong with the car that they were willing to sell it for that (sticker was over $18K and I low ball offered $14K never expecting them to deal) and he told me it was just that it had been on the lot for more than 30 days, was the end of the quarter, and they were trying to get the older stock moved out asap...
That's because the GT has always been a tough sell.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Well, I took it in on Monday and the SA called me today. The good news is that they are replacing the valve gaskets and the battery for fre. The not so good news is they say a motor mount is going bad ($359), that they recommend resealing the upper oil pan gasket even though it's not leaking yet ($1020 if I do it now but $3000 if they have to do it later), rear brakes and rotors ($823), differential flush($205), and a power steering flush ($195).

Of all the listed recommended fixes only one thing is actually broken - the motor mount - and it's only leaking, not fully busted.
The oil pan gasket is fine, but he's saying they are notorious for leaking and not covered by the class action settlement so changing it now would be cheaper.
I knew my rear brake pads were gonna be due soon, but I feel like my rotors are fine.
From what I've read, the differential flush is usually not necessary.
I'm not sure on the power steering flush. I've never done it on any other vehicle.

So I'm looking for any advice you Bimmer vets want to offer here. Are these all things I should have them do or trust their word on? Anyone had similar repairs or maintenance done? I don't have $3000 for repairs right now so I'm gonna have to pick and choose here.

Last edited by PMDColeslaw; 06-13-2019 at 08:45 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search