N63TU engine problems- please help - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)

F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 11-29-2018, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto:
2015 650IX With T motor

Hey gang, I have a 2015 650 with a T motor. Has anyone done a DINAN Tune on the cars and have there been any issues? I want to do stage 1 tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Per my post in your other thread, you have a TU.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto:
OK... here goes....N63 vs N63TU aside....i have a full fledged 2014 650i conv... however i get the above mentioned DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION complete with engine bucking and limp mode. has been happening since a few months after i gotvit but got it second hand but not still under ant warranty. Does that Customer Care Pkg still apply?? more importantly does it help? has anyone found the problem??? mine is definitly a TU
Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweinbe2 View Post
OK... here goes....N63 vs N63TU aside....i have a full fledged 2014 650i conv... however i get the above mentioned DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION complete with engine bucking and limp mode. has been happening since a few months after i gotvit but got it second hand but not still under ant warranty. Does that Customer Care Pkg still apply?? more importantly does it help? has anyone found the problem??? mine is definitly a TU
As far as I know, the customer care package was only for the earlier engines, not the TU. One of the purposes of the TU ("Technical Upgrade") was to correct the issues from the earlier engine. Have you had your engine scanned for codes? That's the first step. And not a generic OBDII scanner - you need one that reads BMW codes.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 13 650x Vert. 17 Corvette
Let us know what you eventually find out from codes. I would bet from past threads its more than likely a bad injector or plug or both. IF its bad injector there was a special warranty extension (dated Jan 2018) up to 10yr/100,000 mi. for fuel injectors (at least the extension was good for my 2013, I assume also for a 2014)
Old 01-04-2019, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomg1551 View Post
Yeah, I have been driving these cars for 35 years so I did my due diligence. There was no indications of anything and it had always been serviced by BMW dealers I always had 3's and 5's this is my first foray into the 6 world. I love the car! Sticker was $116k. I paid @ 30% of that plus the 4 year extended.

It's just that I have had it a week and it's already in the shop you know?

Thanks for the reply
Is you warranty a BMW or third party, and if 3rd what company ?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto:
well....LATEST UPDATE... Good news... I did decide to break this high Tech computerized rocket to the dealer finally even though their service costs are outrageous, At least for a full diagnostic work up and to be fair I did do a computer upgrade for $250 or whatever but it had never been done since the car was new in 2014. Their diagnostics as mentioned above in fact said for one my plugs were bad but that was based on seeing some rust around the rim...But that was clearly wrong as I just installed new iridium plugs not 10000 miles ago so I declined that service (for which by the way they were going to charge me $36 a plug plus service for changing the 8 spark plugs out, And that was just to OEM Bosche platinum's...just saying!!).... So the other big thing they noted was that it had badd coils and recommended changing all of the coils.... And they based that on the technicians recognition that the problem seemed to follow moving the coils around but couldn't localize it any better than that..... Again they offered to charge me a quadrillion dollars to change out the plugs and the coils together but I have a very reputable BMW service guy to whom I brought the vehicle back.... Any did in fact confirm that we had just done the plugs but certainly would change out the coils at less than half of what BMW is charging and we went ahead and did that and VOILÁ!!! Problem is now solved... I have put about 6:50 miles on the car since pushed it in every way I know how and tried all of the trigger maneuvers I had discovered to get the Malfunction and I have yet to have it so in my particular case and I don't know if this applies to anyone else but the problem definitely seemed to be the coil wires.... And though granted, not free, changing the plugs and coils is certainly a reasonable step to try in addressing these problems.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 650
Quote:
well....LATEST UPDATE... Good news.
Good for you, my 2014 650 is coming out of CPO in February, I am on the verge off selling it and going back to Lexus.

I had injectors replaced twice, coil wire once and small electrical BS like driver windows not working. Limp mode 3 times already.
Lexus was boring but good reliable kind of boring.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto:
I dunno...my SC430 was pretty peppy (of course short of the 650!), but the IS-F and of course the top-enders are impressive to drive AND heavy on luxury as well! Only a 1/2 compromise!
Old 01-06-2019, 02:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
Quote:
well....LATEST UPDATE... Good news... I did decide to break this high Tech computerized rocket to the dealer finally even though their service costs are outrageous, At least for a full diagnostic work up and to be fair I did do a computer upgrade for $250 or whatever but it had never been done since the car was new in 2014. Their diagnostics as mentioned above in fact said for one my plugs were bad but that was based on seeing some rust around the rim...But that was clearly wrong as I just installed new iridium plugs not 10000 miles ago so I declined that service (for which by the way they were going to charge me $36 a plug plus service for changing the 8 spark plugs out, And that was just to OEM Bosche platinum's...just saying!!).... So the other big thing they noted was that it had badd coils and recommended changing all of the coils.... And they based that on the technicians recognition that the problem seemed to follow moving the coils around but couldn't localize it any better than that..... Again they offered to charge me a quadrillion dollars to change out the plugs and the coils together but I have a very reputable BMW service guy to whom I brought the vehicle back.... Any did in fact confirm that we had just done the plugs but certainly would change out the coils at less than half of what BMW is charging and we went ahead and did that and VOILÁ!!! Problem is now solved... I have put about 6:50 miles on the car since pushed it in every way I know how and tried all of the trigger maneuvers I had discovered to get the Malfunction and I have yet to have it so in my particular case and I don't know if this applies to anyone else but the problem definitely seemed to be the coil wires.... And though granted, not free, changing the plugs and coils is certainly a reasonable step to try in addressing these problems.
You should use original plugs in these cars just FYI (whether purchased from BMW or directly from Bosch doesn't matter). Not sure how the iridium plugs will stand up in a direct injection engine. Usually see those plugs in conventional fuel injection set ups. Food for thought.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:41 AM
MetameryF10

Mein Auto: 550i
any updates on the CCP for the N63TU motors?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
Today's Posts Search