What do you think of the 2019 Z4 - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-24-2019, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Z4 3.5 is
cluthe

Had the opportunty to sit in one at the local BMW Open House. Reminded me of an Alpha Spider AKA Miata.
Currently drive a 2013 3.5is and love looking out and seeing the full extent of the hood in front of me. Not the same in the new Z4 as the hood is sloped to a point where it cannot be seen. Also, the new Z4 does not look as substantial as the E89 nor does it exude the quality feel of the E89. Totally enjoy what I have and not moved to consider the new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: Z8 Z1 Z4
Old Z4 trunk better access than new Z4 trunk

Took pics at local dealer who just so happens to have both generations of Z4. When you see them at the same time, IMO, the new one looks cheap and plasticy by comparison. The old one looks sculpted. The new one looks stuck together. I was at Pebble Beach when the Z4 concept was unveiled and I LOVED it! But a year later (last summer) I was at the Quail when the Z4 production car was unveiled and SO disappointed. I went from wanting one badly and telling people how it looked like a six figure car to not wanting one at all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_173159.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	849369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_173337.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	849371  
Old 07-19-2019, 07:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r View Post
Thanks =, I will archive that. I will even add a few thoughts. The E89 follows the 507 heritage and even the Z8 . Look at the grills and the side gills. I have seen them being shown all side by side and you could appreciate the bloodlines and heritage. If you put a G29 in that picture it would barely be recognized as a BMW.

If you find a Cumberford analysis of the G29 let us know.

Ditto

2010 E89 30i 6MT Black/Black
Old 08-02-2019, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi M sport
No comparison between the new Z4 and E89

I had a 2015 E89 that I traded in on the new G29. There is no comparison between these 2 cars. The new car is superior in every way. The handling is incredible and out does an M2 on the ring. The thing is glued to the road in a way the E89 could never be. The interior is decades ahead of the E89. The seats way better. The trunk has room for a compact spare and jack kit plus several soft suitcases even with the top down. You can use NRFT tires and still have a spare. People stop and stare at this car everywhere I park it while my E89 was invisible. If you own an E89 and love it trade it now for this new version before the trade value of the E89 plunges.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: z4 sdrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynn View Post
. People stop and stare at this car everywhere I park it while my E89 was invisible. If you own an E89 and love it trade it now for this new version before the trade value of the E89 plunges.
Bmw club friend had a E89 35is. He traded for G29 4 cyl. Thought he could live without the twin turbo 6. Now He says he forgot how addictive that sound and turbo response of that car was. He is thinking about a 2020 Corvette now. BMW Dealers seem to have an awful lot of G29s on the lot.

Last edited by Zyal8r; 08-03-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW Z4 sDrive 2.8
I just bought a very low mileage E89 last month, so I was wondering if I would have wished that I had sprung for the new one. I finally saw two new ones at the dealership yesterday.

The new Z4's are beautiful cars. It is probably a function of my old age, but they look a bit boy racer to me, thought. The styling is just not for me. I think the E89 looks more elegant but YMMV. I also prefer the hardtop over the clothtop as well, as it is more of a finished look when up and will suit me well in the winter.

Although I assume there would be a marked difference in driving, the new one has a 2.0 liter with only a small bump in horsepower. Not enough to make a switch for in my case.

I use mine for a cruiser on the winding back roads and I think I made the best choice for me. The new one has better technology (a major plus) and is probably a superior car, but the current version will suit me for now.

2016 Z4 2.8
2013 335i - European Delivery September 2012
1985 318i
1983 528e
1981 320i
1979 320i
Old 10-30-2019, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordo View Post
@Zyal8r / @DinanZ8

Cumberford hasn't reviewed the G29 yet, though in 2017 he did review that year's BMW Z4 Concept and BMW Concept 8.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/b...bmw-concept-8/

Though I haven't yet seen a G29 in person, unfortunately it seems like a considerable amount of the Z4 concept made it into the production G29. Most notably, the "machete-designed" side gashes are back, though forward tilting now. ("Hey, here's an idea: How about we bring back maybe the most hated feature of the E85/86?!)

Also carrying over is the front central scoop, described by Cumberford as evoking "Ö.cow catchers on steam locomotives in the Old West. In black it looks agricultural, more like a grain scoop than a car part." On the brighter side, the G29 has bit of the 507-inspired forward tilting grille (as near as I can tell from photos), though sadly not as pronounced as on the concept. Too bad the concept's headrests didn't survive to production, though I'd guess that their appeal would not have been universal.

Worst of all, perhaps, is that the overall design has been cluttered up while losing the E89's most graceful feature: the front and rear fender character lines that nearly meet on the sides. That treatment was classic roadster styling (done so fantastically on the 507) and is replaced by a single line rising from front wheel to taillight. The overall effect to me is more like a modded Honda S2000 than a BMW Z. So, Zyal8r, your guess that it's all a nod to an Asian and younger demographic is no doubt true. Especially given their partnership with Toyota on this.

Please donít put G29 and ď507 inspiredĒ in the same sentence !

Old 10-30-2019, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto:
What do you think of the 2019 Z4

I have seen two G29s in person, one blue and another one white. I was even more disappointed as they appeared more cheap than they look in pictures.
The amount of plastic parts painted black are common place on Korean and Japanese posing cars, and never fitting in distinct BMWs. As a matter of fact, the G29 is now the cheap version of sorts BMWs, and even more hideous than the new 8-Series and all others. Thereís not one BMW that I actually cover.

Welcome Maserati Ghibli and Aston Martin DBS Superleggera. Too bad the latter is of my possibilities, and the first is not a roadster. So Iíll keep my E89 30i 6MT for the long haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 10-31-2019, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5joe View Post
I looked at a new Z4 in Scottsdale, AZ last week. Nicely done, beautiful interior. At the moment, I still prefer my E89 and its foldable hard top.

20190325_093755 by f5joep, on Flickr
20190325_093804 by f5joep, on Flickr
I hope that new cloth top is double-insulated, like the '16 Vette I used to own. Otherwise that car's going to become a winter-only car in southern Arizona.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: z4 sdrive35i
Whatever

When I have my E89 serviced I always check out the G29s on the lot. They usually have 3 or 4 in stock. Sales are not real brisk but that was expected for a roadster in a world of SUVs.
For practical purposes it checks most of the boxes for a roadster. The top operation is quick and the material is very substantial. The interior is quite busy compared to the e89 and the seats seem a bit narrow and I am not real wide. Top up visibility is a little claustrophobic. The road tests seem to agree that it is sportier than the E89 but with the usual, not a Porsche, proviso. So it seems to be a car that does not receive criticism as a sport roadster or drivers car.
From the faceted plasticy grill to the plasticky gloss black scoops which may actually be metal there is an awful lot of stuff that could have been left off entirely. It just does not have the upscale Germanic presence. It really is too bad that a company that established their tradition and history with cars like the early M3, the 507 and the Z8 as well as the E89 has become so POP Art in styling. Not sure that it will appeal to buyers in the $65K+ level.
I am certainly happy sitting in or looking back at, my 35i

Last edited by Zyal8r; 11-05-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E89 3.0 Stick shift
Funny thing about the Z and the Supra joint effort is on paper I should love both of them... but in truth they both miss the mark in design, of all things. For god sake can't somebody take a look back at what classic sport car lines are supposed to be !? Sheesh.

2010 E89 3.0 Stick Shift
Space Gray Metallic
Bilstein & Sachs suspension
Michelin Pilot 4s NRF
Old 11-11-2019, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo-RochesterMI View Post
Please donít put G29 and ď507 inspiredĒ in the same sentence !

Yeah, I don't know what came over me!
Old 11-11-2019, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordo View Post
Yeah, I don't know what came over me!

lol,

Itís ok. Good analysis though. I can see that youíre trying to be positive and faithful to the marquee. I love BMW, but the last BMW Iíd buy just went out of production (M6 GC, 2door, or convertible).

Old 11-11-2019, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo-RochesterMI View Post
lol,

Itís ok. Good analysis though. I can see that youíre trying to be positive and faithful to the marquee. I love BMW, but the last BMW Iíd buy just went out of production (M6 GC, 2door, or convertible).

No, I know you were pulling my leg; it's all good.

I'm just really disappointed (though not necessarily surprised) that BMW mucked up the design of the G29. Minus the BMW grille motif and badging, the G29 could easily suffice for the Supra design.

Just a not-sensual, overly busy, aftermarket add on-looking design. I've finally seen a few G29s in traffic (took a while since I live in Tallahassee...not exactly Miami) and if I weren't hyper-aware, I'd mistake it for something lesser.

Another knock: I guess the retractable hardtop is considered almost passe these days, but I'd really miss it. Guess I'll stick with my E89 35i for now.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto:
I hear you @Mordo, I must say that thereís not one BMW now that sparks anything but disgust or questionable reactions in me.
What happened with an understated appeal that resisted the ravages of time, the distinction and trendsetting design?
And the damn black plastic details everywhere in the sport branded cars.
I hate everything about them. Bloated, kitsch, cheap, and desperate to call attention to itself. Thatís what BMW has become.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 11-13-2019, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 135i
amazing roadster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey48 View Post
Lets hear some thoughts on the new Z4.
I demoed the 2020 z M40i today on twisty grainy bumpy roads and frankly I was absolutely amazed at the performance this roadster delivered. I'm so impressed as to the non existence of cowl shake, it's just so solid in every respect, immediate acceleration, at the push of a button and road impurities disappear and now so very comfortable a ride.

I could go on and on but let me just say it even holds my golf clubs and folding cart to carry same. I love this car and will buy one.

If your a driving/car enthusiast do yourself a favor, drive this car you won't be disappointed. this will be my 15th BMW and I can't wait to own it! It just doesn't get better at this price point.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post
I demoed the 2020 z M40i today on twisty grainy bumpy roads and frankly I was absolutely amazed at the performance this roadster delivered. I'm so impressed as to the non existence of cowl shake, it's just so solid in every respect, immediate acceleration, at the push of a button and road impurities disappear and now so very comfortable a ride.

I could go on and on but let me just say it even holds my golf clubs and folding cart to carry same. I love this car and will buy one.

If your a driving/car enthusiast do yourself a favor, drive this car you won't be disappointed. this will be my 15th BMW and I can't wait to own it! It just doesn't get better at this price point.

I hear you, but style, class and harmony didnít matter and only performance would be my thing, Iíd by the new Corvette convertible. The the former matters...

Old 11-14-2019, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E89 3.0 Stick shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post

Congratulations on the purchase. I'm not not surprised in the least bit by your review. And I do not doubt a word of it.
In a perfect world the styling would be more appealing but it is what it is and .......
I'm jealous

2010 E89 3.0 Stick Shift
Space Gray Metallic
Bilstein & Sachs suspension
Michelin Pilot 4s NRF

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search