WSJ: America's Middle Class Can't Afford Their Cars - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I worked for the federal government. So, we didn't get company cars. The DoD insists on buying refundable airline tickets, and flights out of Bubbaville International Airport are expensive to start with. A round trip ticket to Texas was $1400.
I whored around Fortune 500 companies and I'd rather drive 4 hours than take a two hour hop on a plane. The cost of the rental car was always less than the airfare and my schedule was my own. Nobody complained if you had a meal that exceeded guidelines. My current rule is now 8 hours, but I'm retired.

Last edited by zod; 10-08-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zod View Post
I whored around Fortune 500 companies and I'd rather drive 4 hours than take a two hour hop on a plane. The cost of the rental car was always less than the airfare and my schedule was my own. Nobody complained if you had a meal that exceeded guidelines. My current rules is now 8 hours.
I dig your rap, zod.

I much prefer driving. It's partially a control thing. When I'm driving, I'm on control. When I'm on an air liner, somebody else is in control. When I'm on those trains going around ATL, I'm not sure anybody's in control.

When I'm driving, I don't have to pack light, either.

A lot of my business trips were with a group. When I drove, I had my own car instead of sharing a rental car. So, I could come and go as I pleased after work. There used to be a GM "Mr. Goodwrench" advertising slogan... "It's not just your car, it's your freedom." Truer words have never been spoken.

The DoD travel regulations are several hundred pages. They can't force DoD civilians to travel long distances by car. So, they can't make them take a rental car. People who drive generally use their own car to rack up that $0.58/mile. One year, I put 11k miles on my cars for work. The next year, I put 8k miles on them for work.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 10-08-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:19 PM

I'm allergic to body scanners on general principles. I always traveled on a passport after 9/11. The planes were already getting cramped for a tall person before that.

Last edited by zod; 10-08-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:00 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Many military bases have "auto hobby shops," fully equipped shops for DIY work. It sure is nice doing an oil change on a drive on lift.
When I was stationed at Fort Meade, I worked in just such a shop. One project I remember was helping out a Warrant Officer (CW-2) on chassis/suspension work for his Nissan 370Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
That is a cool perk that local tech companies should consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
We've got a place like this here in Columbia. I've always thought it would be a great idea, especially in a college town like this where we have so many students living in places that don't even have a garage to do the most basic car maintenance.
Some BMW CCA chapters hold DIY events for their members regularly at local dealerships and independent tech shops. The largest and most active CCA chapter, National Capital Chapter, holds at least five such events every year.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/orgs/b...al-capital/diy

Old 10-10-2019, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
When I was stationed at Fort Meade, I worked in just such a shop. One project I remember was helping out a Warrant Officer (CW-2) on chassis/suspension work for his Nissan 370Z.

Some BMW CCA chapters hold DIY events for their members regularly at local dealerships and independent tech shops. The largest and most active CCA chapter, National Capital Chapter, holds at least five such events every year.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/orgs/b...al-capital/diy
Do these DIY events have accurate torque wrenches, e.g. snap-on, CDI, 5lb-ft?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Doesn't Autozone or some other outfit have a tool rental deal?
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zod View Post
Doesn't Autozone or some other outfit have a tool rental deal?
Can those be trusted to be calibrated?
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Quote:
Can those be trusted to be calibrated?
None that aren't calibrated regularly can really be trusted. With that said, it appears that my never calibrated cheap click type (25 years old or so) is still within spec (or really close to it).
Old 10-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Generally, members are expected bring a good torque wrench of their own to the DIY event if their job requires it. However, at the National Capital Chapter DIY events, there are usually other members (including members who come to the event solely as "helpers") that can lend one.

Here's the official tools policy from National Capital Chapter - BMW CCA:

Tools
All Club members are expected to bring their own tools, such as metric wrenches, socket sets, etc. For job-specific tools you may ask to borrow another Club member’s tools. Members must understand that all on-site tools and tool storage are the private property of the garage mechanics, and we must not borrow those tools without special permission; nor may we damage the tool cabinets. The DIY Committee has established a selection of Special Tools, which may be rented for use only at an NCC DIY. Please do not ask the DIY Sponsor to use any of their tools without first getting explicit guidance from the Coordinator.

Special Tools Program
The DIY Committee has purchased specialty tools to assist our members. Any special tool needs to be identified when you sign up. We have the following tools for rental at an event:
  • Sub-frame Bushing Tool ($25 Rental / $100 Refundable Deposit)
  • Rear Wheel Bearing Tool ($25 Rental / $100 Refundable Deposit)
  • Control Arm Bushing Tool ($10 Rental / $50 Refundable Deposit)
  • Peake Scan Reset Tool for 1984-2007 BMWs (Free Rental w/ Drivers License)
  • Fan Pulley Holder (Free Rental w/ Drivers License)
  • Oil Filter Housing Cap (Free Rental w/ Drivers License)
  • Oxygen Sensor Tool (Free Rental w/ Drivers License)
  • Fluid Transfer Tool For Differential Fluid (Free Rental w/ Drivers License)
  • Valve Adjusting Tool (Free Rental w/ Drivers License)
  • 17mm Transmission drain plug wrench (Free Rental w/ Drivers License)
  • 17mm non marring socket for wheel lug bolts Transmission / Differential Drain Plug socket set (Free Rental w/ Drivers License)
  • Fan Clutch Tool (Free Rental w/ Drivers License)

We will be buying more specialty tools using dollars in our [current year] Special Tools budget, and would be happy to hear your suggestions. Please use the website to contact DIY Coordinator with your recommended tool, price, and source.

One important reminder: our DIY Special Tools may be rented and used ONLY during our DIY events – No Exceptions! Please sign up for the next DIY and be sure to let us know what Special Tool you will need.
Please note that although tools are available for rental, the DIY Coordinator and Sponsor have the ultimate say as to what jobs will be performed. If you would like to tackle one of the bigger jobs (bushings), you should contact the DIY Coordinator early in the process.

Parts
Each participant is reminded to buy all parts (including oils & other fluids) from the event Sponsor if they sell parts. Most service shops offer discounts to Club members and buying parts from the event Sponsor helps to provide an incentive to host an event. If you want to bring your own parts, you must inform the DIY Coordinator well before the DIY and receive approval. The coordinator will respond to you in a timely manner.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Generally, members are expected bring a good torque wrench of their own to the DIY event if their job requires it. However, at the National Capital Chapter DIY events, there are usually other members (including members who come to the event solely as "helpers") that can lend one.
This is very interesting. The last time in similar meets was back in E39 days when a bunch of E39 owners met up to tear down brand new cars just for the hack of using the expensive tools bought by some. These BMWCCA events sound like good ways to learn new stuff and meet new friends!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum
Today's Posts Search