645 Sunroof parts - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
645 Sunroof parts

Hey Gang. I searched the posts and could not find this answer.

I have a 2005 645 coupe and some pieces have broken in the sunroof. They are the plastic pieces that slide along the rail that attach to the panels so they open and close. The picture shows the front and back pieces for one side. Our course BMW can only replace the entire structure for $1500 instead of the 4 plastic parts. I have searched for these parts online and I cannot locate them.

Here are the numbers for the one side. The other side is the same just change the LH to RH. Help would be greatly appreciated.

1704091 P LH>PA
1704473 L LH POM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunroof small.JPG
Views:	1143
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	411224  

Last edited by Tampa645; 12-07-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 PM

Did you ever find anything on these individual parts? I need them as well. Mine are broke and my sunroof shade is stuck half way back...
Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 PM

No. I pulled a MacGyver. I used superglue and plastic epoxy and put them back together. I then took a long, thin drill bit and drilled through the piece the long way. I then took a metal rod that was a little bit thinner than a coat hanger, dipped it in the epoxy and then inserted it in the hole. This acted like a new spine for the piece. I then took some very small screws and used them to help the pieces stay together. About 4 in each piece. You have to make sure the metal ends of the screws do not scrape along any moving parts. I also greased up the entire roof mechanism. Works so far.

I would send photos but it is a real pain getting them back out again. Good luck. Thanks to BMW for seeming to design cars where you have to spend $1500 to replace a $3 part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 AM

Thanks Tampa645! I'm going to have to look into to doing this. I can't believe they don't sell individual parts for the sunroof...wait, what am I saying, yeas I can!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan904 View Post
Thanks Tampa645! I'm going to have to look into to doing this. I can't believe they don't sell individual parts for the sunroof...wait, what am I saying, yeas I can!
If you stripped the sunroof please post some pics, it would be usefull for hard tops.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooK77 View Post
If you stripped the sunroof please post some pics, it would be usefull for hard tops.
I'm going to try to tackle this within the next few weeks. I'll make sure I take and upload pics when I do.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Tampa645 do you have the instructions on how to get to the parts? Mine broke too and I would like to try your route then the dealer option. Please post any additional info you can. Much appreciated.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li 2005 645Ci
Any updates on this? I am removing my sunshade to have it recovered (fabric came off the shades) but as far as I can tell both the sunroof itself and the headliner need to come out along with all of the brackets. Got the headliner down today hoping it would be obvious how to proceed but it really isn't. I hate to just start loosening every screw and nut in sight! Any tips and tricks from those who have done this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM

I just got my sunroof fixed. I took it to a shop to get this done. It was ALOT of work and something I did not want to tackle. They had to remove the headliner and the actual sunroof to get to it.
Of course, no factory part available unless you want to spend $1500 on it. The shop had to fabricate some steel plates from the part that was broken. It now works!
If anyone is in OC, LA, or IE California area, I can recommend Corona Sunroof in Corona CA. Speak to Jose and tell him the silver 6 referred you there. They did a great job.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 PM

I went ahead and tackled this myself. It was actually MUCH EASIER than I had expected. I was originally planning to only take the sunroof shades out and recover them as the material had stripped off. Several sources of Service Information stated that the headliner had to come out before you could get to the shades so I did that first ...only to find out later that IT WAS NOT NECESSARY.

Sunroof should be vented FULLY UP before starting this...
To remove the sunroof panel and/or shade panels you simply need to pull the gaiters (flexible rubber pieces that cover up the mechanical bits - there are 4 of them), front trim, and 8 torx screws. To remove the inside gaiters pull edge attached to the glass panel towards the center line of the car. To remove the exterior gaiters simply pull them down, out of the grooves in the glass and let them stay attached at the bottom. With the inside gaiters loose you will be able to see the 2 torx screws holding the glass panel to the arms that raise it. Take these out on both sides (4 total). Now the front of the glass panel is held down by 4 torx screws across the front. Access these by pulling off the plastic trim piece at the very front of the glass panel on the inside of the car - it spans the width of the glass. Pull it towards the back of the car gently and it should release with some light twisting. Too rough and you will break some of the tabs. A couple of mine broke but it still went back in solid.
The glass panel is now free.

With the shade fully closed you can now access the 8 small screws that hold the panels to their frame (from the top). These are a smaller torx as well. Once all of these are out, you can slip the panels out and around the brackets from the top.

I can see how the headliner may need to be removed to fix/replace the sunroof frame but it may be worth a look from the top before you do anything else.
Because I had already dropped the headliner I went ahead and pulled it out along with the A, B, C pillars and had them recovered with a suede material.

NOTE - getting the headliner out of the car was the most difficult task and seemed impossible at first. Seats need to be all the way forward & down and seatbacks should be fully reclined. With a slight bending it will come out of the passenger door - front of the headliner goes first.

The suede makes the interior much more cozy and just feels very rich so I'm glad I went ahead and did it.
Sorry for the poor quality pics but hope they help a little...

pictures aren't showing up so maybe something's not forum compliant at this point...

Last edited by mlmotorsport; 06-04-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: pics not showing up
Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Awesome!
Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using BimmerApp mobile app

2004 645Ci
No mods yet! Mods coming soon though
Old 09-04-2014, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Panther645ci

Just bought this car a couple of weeks ago and the sunroof panel is stuck. Sounds like a job someone with a little know how could do, would like a little info and some pictures if possible. Thanks
Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther645ci View Post
Panther645ci

Just bought this car a couple of weeks ago and the sunroof panel is stuck. Sounds like a job someone with a little know how could do, would like a little info and some pictures if possible. Thanks
Taking out the glass panel and at least having a look seems more intimidating than it actually is. It's a pretty quick, simple, and low-risk - just have a buddy help you move the glass panel once it's free. I can't speculate what the problem might be but it might be worth a look from the top. HERE is a link to the pictures I took.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Going to give this a shot this weekend. Anyone done it recently that might have some new tips or tricks?

I really don't even care if it functions, I just want both shades closed. Can I just reach in there and pull it forward?
Old 10-01-2015, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i Coupe
I have the same problem. I recently purchased a 2007 650i coupe and one day the sunshade made this POP noise and only the front section was moving. I brought it to the dealer and of course the expensive extended warranty would not cover it and they quoted me $3,700 to repair it. Said they needed to replace the whole thing - cartridge, etc. etc. I paid them the $163 for the diagnosis and then brought it to the original car dealer that I purchased it from who is having a friend who does upholstery / sunroof work to look at it. I did a reset (by holding the button for a minute or 2) and only the front section of the sunshade moves front to back. Back section is stuck back there. Any ideas on how to fix this w/o spending too much? I honestly don't care if it stays all the way back.... just the halfway thing looks stupid.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:01 PM

Hey kk, just saw your pm as well, figured I'd just reply here. I still haven't tried to fix it but it's starting to bug me enough that it's time to do something. I'll likely start by removing the glass (roof) and see if I can reach the rear shade from the top. Will post here when I get in there, do the same if you go for it as well.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhancock View Post
I have the same problem. I recently purchased a 2007 650i coupe and one day the sunshade made this POP noise and only the front section was moving. I brought it to the dealer and of course the expensive extended warranty would not cover it and they quoted me $3,700 to repair it. Said they needed to replace the whole thing - cartridge, etc. etc. I paid them the $163 for the diagnosis and then brought it to the original car dealer that I purchased it from who is having a friend who does upholstery / sunroof work to look at it. I did a reset (by holding the button for a minute or 2) and only the front section of the sunshade moves front to back. Back section is stuck back there. Any ideas on how to fix this w/o spending too much? I honestly don't care if it stays all the way back.... just the halfway thing looks stupid.
its the same problem we all had - including me. Its a broken plastic piece that holds the front and back part together. The shop I took it to had to make the part by hand. Fixed the problem but alot of work and removal.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i Coupe
Diagram of Sunroof parts

QuickSix

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=54_0329

Above is a diagram of the roof mechanism and parts that I found for my car. If you have a different car, pick it by choosing Select Another Car - top left. It narrows it right down to production month and year. This may be helpful when you are messing around in there.

Keep me posted on your progress and I will do the same. It is nice to have a beautiful car like this, but as you well know, parts and repairs are expensive and it is a very delicate machine.

Best of luck,
kk
Old 10-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 645i
If you have a chance please take pics of the process, it would be great to save them for the future. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 645ci
Hi QuickSix - did you manage to get the rear shade out from the nether, and sort your issue? (just happened to me - and I need to do exactly the same...)
Old 10-05-2019, 01:58 AM

[I can't delete this post!]

Last edited by Steven645ci; 10-05-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec View Post
its the same problem we all had - including me. Its a broken plastic piece that holds the front and back part together. The shop I took it to had to make the part by hand. Fixed the problem but alot of work and removal.
Hi Hipertec
Can I ask: Did they do the repair all from the top? Or did they need to remove the liner internally? (about to take this one on myself!)
Steve
Old 10-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven645ci View Post
Hi Hipertec
Can I ask: Did they do the repair all from the top? Or did they need to remove the liner internally? (about to take this one on myself!)
Steve
It's been a long time but they did have to remove all the internal liners from the inside too. If I remember there is a cable too.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:26 AM

duplicated
Old 10-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa645 View Post
No. I pulled a MacGyver. I used superglue and plastic epoxy and put them back together. I then took a long, thin drill bit and drilled through the piece the long way. I then took a metal rod that was a little bit thinner than a coat hanger, dipped it in the epoxy and then inserted it in the hole. This acted like a new spine for the piece. I then took some very small screws and used them to help the pieces stay together. About 4 in each piece. You have to make sure the metal ends of the screws do not scrape along any moving parts. I also greased up the entire roof mechanism. Works so far.

I would send photos but it is a real pain getting them back out again. Good luck. Thanks to BMW for seeming to design cars where you have to spend $1500 to replace a $3 part.
Good job dude.

Can I ask if you were able to do this repair from the top (and not having to take the liner out from inside)?

Steve

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY
Today's Posts Search