Service Engine Soon light on after changing Valve Cover Gasket - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Service Engine Soon light on after changing Valve Cover Gasket

I changed VCG but getting SES light on. It starts with code P00BC, but after that it shows P0301, P0171, P0174 as well. I didnít touch intake hose while changing VCG. Tried to clean MAF sensor but not success. P00BC, P0171 and P0174 seems to take me to vacumm leak but I donít know which hose I may broke during changing. Tried to swap cylinder 1 coil but P0301 still exists. Any recommendation is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by deki0780 View Post
I changed VCG but getting SES light on. It starts with code P00BC, but after that it shows P0301, P0171, P0174 as well. I didnít touch intake hose while changing VCG. Tried to clean MAF sensor but not success. P00BC, P0171 and P0174 seems to take me to vacumm leak but I donít know which hose I may broke during changing. Tried to swap cylinder 1 coil but P0301 still exists. Any recommendation is appreciated.
Did you fail to reconnect the CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor) or damage its wiring (front of engine @ oil filter housing)? Those codes, with exception of misfire code P0301, suggest CTS signal is equivalent to engine temp warmer than actual and DME is NOT enriching enough.

George
Old 01-07-2018, 06:56 PM

Thanks George. I checked the CTS connector and it seems to be ok. Is there any method to confirm this (like check temperature from cold start to see if it is normal?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks George. I checked the CTS connector and it seems to be ok. Is there any method to confirm this (like check temperature from cold start to see if it is normal?)
Any decent OBDII scan tool that can read DME parameters will give you Engine Coolant Temperature, and INPA gives you "motortemperatur." Also, I believe it's one of the values which can be displayed on the instrument cluster when you select "hidden menu."

After the vehicle has sat overnight, turn on the ignition, without starting the engine, and see the DME readout of engine temp (which is calculated from the CTS signal). If you get NO Coolant Temp readout, or it does NOT correspond to ambient temp, then something is amiss with that sensor, its connector, the input to the sensor from the DME (5V?), or the wiring from the sensor output back to the DME.

Since you did NOT say what year & model you have, I can't provide the exact wiring diagram for your vehicle, but here is the one for my 2007 328xi:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ooling/lqgyKuz

Go to the home page of TIS and select YOUR model:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Then select "Electrical Components" | Components | B: Sensors | B6236a Engine coolant temperature sensor >

Find that component (B6236a) in the circuit diagram (should be to the right side of schematic next to thermostat & coolant pump).

On my 2007, there is a Yellow/Red wire from the DME to the sensor connector (X6236) that provides instrument voltage (probably 5V+ but I haven't tested mine), and the Black/Violet wire provides the signal voltage (which varies with temp) to the DME.

You can also measure resistance (ohms) across the two pins of the connector. Resistance varies inversely with coolant temp -- mine was ~5,000 ohms or 5 kilohms @ 50F (before the current 10-20F conditions), and it should probably be ~ 8 or 9kilohms at the current temps. As the coolant temp increases, that resistance should fall to something in the range of 300 ohms (.3 kilohms) at 190F. You can of course use an infrared thermometer aimed at the housing where the CTS is mounted to confirm warm engine temp readout.

BTW, your initial post mentions DTC "P00BC" but the only codes I find beginning with P00B are P00B2, P00B3 & P00B4, ALL of which relate to the CTS.

George
Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Any decent OBDII scan tool that can read DME parameters will give you Engine Coolant Temperature, and INPA gives you "motortemperatur." Also, I believe it's one of the values which can be displayed on the instrument cluster when you select "hidden menu."

After the vehicle has sat overnight, turn on the ignition, without starting the engine, and see the DME readout of engine temp (which is calculated from the CTS signal). If you get NO Coolant Temp readout, or it does NOT correspond to ambient temp, then something is amiss with that sensor, its connector, the input to the sensor from the DME (5V?), or the wiring from the sensor output back to the DME.

Since you did NOT say what year & model you have, I can't provide the exact wiring diagram for your vehicle, but here is the one for my 2007 328xi:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ooling/lqgyKuz

Go to the home page of TIS and select YOUR model:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Then select "Electrical Components" | Components | B: Sensors | B6236a Engine coolant temperature sensor >

Find that component (B6236a) in the circuit diagram (should be to the right side of schematic next to thermostat & coolant pump).

On my 2007, there is a Yellow/Red wire from the DME to the sensor connector (X6236) that provides instrument voltage (probably 5V+ but I haven't tested mine), and the Black/Violet wire provides the signal voltage (which varies with temp) to the DME.

You can also measure resistance (ohms) across the two pins of the connector. Resistance varies inversely with coolant temp -- mine was ~5,000 ohms or 5 kilohms @ 50F (before the current 10-20F conditions), and it should probably be ~ 8 or 9kilohms at the current temps. As the coolant temp increases, that resistance should fall to something in the range of 300 ohms (.3 kilohms) at 190F. You can of course use an infrared thermometer aimed at the housing where the CTS is mounted to confirm warm engine temp readout.

BTW, your initial post mentions DTC "P00BC" but the only codes I find beginning with P00B are P00B2, P00B3 & P00B4, ALL of which relate to the CTS.

George
Thank you.
I checked Engine Coolant Temperature via OBDII. It starts with 86 degree then increases when engine runs. It seems that the CTS works.

The code is exactly P00BC (MAF "A" Circuit Range/Performance Flow Too Low)

BTW mine is 328i 2009
Old 01-07-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I checked Engine Coolant Temperature via OBDII. It starts with 86 degree then increases when engine runs. It seems that the CTS works. BTW mine is 328i 2009
You give your location as "US." Are you in Hawaii? Is that 86F or 86C? Is that a "cold start" after sitting long enough for engine to be at ambient air temp? My SWAG of the cause was a CTS that signaled the DME that Engine Coolant Temperature was MORE than it actually is. If you are convinced that is NOT the case, then please ignore ALL before

George
Old 01-08-2018, 09:34 PM

Thanks for suggestions George. It was about 46F yesterday in Texas. However I think the engine wasnít cold to ambient temperature when I tested so it showed 86F.

Btw I got an IR thermometer today and check coolant temperature (at sensor position). It is almost the same (1F difference comparing to reading from OBD)

I cleared the codes with Deep OBD. SES light is off now even after 20 miles driving, however still has P0171 in permanent and p0171, p0174 and p00bc in pending (reading by Torque). Reading DME by Deep OBD show errors 0x29e0, 0x29e1 and 0x2d06

Do you know what is the fastest way to do a drive cycle for clearing permanent code?

Last edited by deki0780; 01-08-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I cleared the codes with Deep OBD. SES light is off now even after 20 miles driving, however still has P0171 in permanent and p0171, p0174 and p00bc in pending (reading by Torque). Reading DME by Deep OBD show errors 0x29e0, 0x29e1 and 0x2d06. Do you know what is the fastest way to do a drive cycle for clearing permanent code?
I have driven 80's vintage Jags for years (still have 30-year-old XJ-S V-12), so am NOT an expert in OBD, and am simply trying to learn something with the following questions. What are you referring to when you say "Deep OBD"? Is that EDIABAS, INPA, ISTA, etc. and what modules will it connect to besides DME?

When you refer to a "permanent code" what do you mean? I thought codes were either those that triggered SES/MIL immediately, such as catalyst damaging faults (e.g. severe misfire), or those that only set the SES after two completed drive cycles with the fault present. I'm basically going by what is in Bentley, pp. OBD-1 to OBD-6.

I thought ANY code that could be read could be "cleared" with the proper software that contains a "clear" function (same for Freeze Frame data). Is there something that remains behind AFTER the code is cleared (permanent in that sense)?

Just so we're on the same page, Bentley says P0171(ALSO 29E0) & P0174 (ALSO 29E1) are "Too Lean": Bank1 & Bank2 respectively. Bentley has NO "P00BC" which you indicated is a MAF fault? Bentley DOES show P00B2, P00B3 & P00B4 as CTS circuit faults. Bentley also shows P1415/2D06 as "Mass or Volume Air Flow Too Low."

Now that latter fault would seem to me to indicate an air leak in the intake between the MAF and the cylinders, allowing air that is "un-metered" (not measured by the MAF) to enter the cylinders, which would correlate with the "too lean" DTCs as the injectors are only fueling for the amount of air reported by the MAF signal, and the RPMs indicate more air is entering the cylinders (think engine is just an air pump) than what the MAF signal is reporting to the DME.

SOOO, if you just changed the VCG, perhaps the hose from the rear of the Valve Cover, or the air duct between the MAF & Intake Manifold is leaking. Try spraying ether/starting fluid on those areas with the engine idling after COLD START (large towels & fire extinguisher handy in case of ether igniting) to see if idle speed increases (it does when air admission point is sprayed).

I'm no expert on drive cycles, but as I understand it, certain codes are only set after two completed drive cycles (after clearing them previously), and here is what Bentley has to say about drive cycle:
"The OBD II drive cycle is an important concept in understanding
OBD II requirements. The purpose of the drive cycle is to run all of
the emission-related on-board diagnostics over a broad range of
driving conditions.
A drive cycle is considered complete when all of the diagnostic
monitors have run their tests without interruption. For a drive cycle to
be initiated, the vehicle must be started cold and brought up to
160įF and at least 40įF above its original starting temperature."
My interpretation/best SWAG of that is the DME uses CTS signal for engine temp, and CTS readout should be ~ 130F or lower at start; car should then be driven for ~ 10 minutes 'til CTS signals 175F or higher. Turn off & allow to cool an hour or two until CTS signal shows coolant temp ~130F and repeat to complete the end of the 2nd drive cycle. Of course since you have calibrated your CTS signal as read in INPA or whatever with your new infrared thermometer, you can just use whichever is more convenient.

ANYBODY who actually knows or wants to opine, please jump in here

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 01-08-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:54 PM

DTC Questions

Quote:
...Reading DME by Deep OBD show errors 0x29e0...
What does the "0x" before 29E0 (too lean Bank1) code mean -- is that the number of completed drive cycles with that code or what? I've seen that in INPA when there was no corresponding P0171 set. While we are at it, what are "shadow codes" -- are those faults that have been detected, but have NOT yet set the SES/MIL since not present for two drive cycles -- or what?

Also in Bentley I find 29E0 for BOTH P0171 (too LEAN Bank1) AND for P0172 (too Rich Bank1), and the same confusing thing for 29E1 on Bank2. Is there a misprint in Bentley, or can someone explain that apparent "anomaly."

Thanks,
George
Old 01-09-2018, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi E90 manual
Quote:
What are you referring to when you say "Deep OBD"?
That's a colloquial term for EOBD, Enhanced OBD, any manufacturer-specific data that goes beyond the legal requirements of OBDII.

Quote:
When you refer to a "permanent code" what do you mean? I thought codes were either those that triggered SES/MIL immediately, such as catalyst damaging faults (e.g. severe misfire), or those that only set the SES after two completed drive cycles with the fault present.
Pending codes are those that have occurred below the threshold required to trigger the CEL. Current codes are those over the threshold (CEL illuminates). Severe malfunctions endangering the cat, etc. will cause a flashing CEL. Once a code goes back under CEL threshold, it is a stored code until X drive cycles go by, then it is automatically cleared.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi E90 manual
Quote:
What does the "0x" before 29E0 (too lean Bank1) code mean?
The 0x prefix means hexadecimal (computer conventional base 16, as opposed to human conventional base 10). Hex 29E0 = decimal 10720

Quote:
What are "shadow codes" -- are those faults that have been detected, but have NOT yet set the SES/MIL since not present for two drive cycles -- or what?
Yes, or really anything that doesn't trigger a dashboard light. For instance, a bad HVAC door actuator will never trigger a light.

Quote:
Also in Bentley I find 29E0 for BOTH P0171 (too LEAN Bank1) AND for P0172 (too Rich Bank1), and the same confusing thing for 29E1 on Bank2. Is there a misprint in Bentley, or can someone explain that apparent "anomaly."
29E0 indicates a fuel mixture control fault on bank 1. Could be rich or lean. Same for 2A2B. So you need the generic OBDII code P017* to know if you're rich or lean.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
The 0x prefix means hexadecimal (computer conventional base 16, as opposed to human conventional base 10). Hex 29E0 = decimal 10720

Yes, or really anything that doesn't trigger a dashboard light. For instance, a bad HVAC door actuator will never trigger a light.

29E0 indicates a fuel mixture control fault on bank 1. Could be rich or lean. Same for 2A2B. So you need the generic OBDII code P017* to know if you're rich or lean.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Can you suggest a good reference for:

1) OBDII and BMW software code retrieval capabilities (what is stored in which module, how you connect and what software required, etc.)

2) The capabilities/matrix of each software, particularly INPA, ISTA+ & ISTA-P which I understand are the main diagnostic and/or programming tools for E9x models

3) Describing what each sensor actually measures, what logic is used for processing that sensor input to the DME or other module, the logic used to set a code (permanent, shadow, etc.) and hence understanding more specifically what each code really means.

If your experience leads you to believe my questions indicate one or more misconceptions of the actual situation as you understand it, please advise

I get the impression that many owners figure those things are only known to BMW engineers (carefully-guarded proprietary information), but I would assume 12 years after the E9x models were first sold, a LOT of that ought to be public information at this point.

Thanks again,
George
Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Looking around and I saw someone telling that VCG can cause the lean codes that I had. So I replaced the gasket again with new gasket from Autozone and added sealant for peace of mind. It works! The codes disappeared.

DeepOBD that I mentioned is an alternative of INPA running on Android (https://github.com/uholeschak/ediaba...BMW_and_VAG.md)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Looking around and I saw someone telling that VCG can cause the lean codes that I had. So I replaced the gasket again with new gasket from Autozone and added sealant for peace of mind. It works! The codes disappeared.
Can ANYONE explain how a leaking VCG (Valve Cover Gasket) on a 2009 328i could cause "lean codes"???

Now I CAN understand how a leak in the vent hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake manifold could allow air to get into the intake that was NOT measured by the MAF, causing a lean condition; BUT through a leaking gasket seal between the VC & head??

BTW, does your oil filler cap whistle? Do you get a lean code if you open the oil filler cap with the engine running?

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 01-14-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Vaccum Leaks can be anywhere

I have been having a 00bc/2D06 error code and thought that since I just replace the VCG and eccentric shaft actuator gasket, they could not be the culprits.
I replaced the coolant sensor thinking that the MAF was getting error codes due to wrong temperature readings.

After 2 weeks I figured I would check the eccentric shaft actuator motor thinking it may be stuck even though I always hear it setting itself when starting the engine.

As soon as I removed the actuator, I saw a little bit of oil in the recesses of the valve cover and then saw that the gasket center portion which floats on the outside portion to take up differences between the valve cover and the engine head machining.

Air was getting in the valve cover through the failed gasket and of course is downstream of the MAF. Voila!! instant fix to my issue.

Just goes to show that vacuum leaks can be anywhere that air is flowing into the engine. My oil fill cap was not stuck due to vacuum leaks so I thought I had no leaks.

Bad call on my part.

I hope this helps.

Bill

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search