2005 E90 Heating not working on Driver's side - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-16-2019, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto:
2005 E90 Heating not working on Driver's side

Hi All

To cut a long story short I bought an E90 3 Series 320i with the horrid N46 engine back in 2012.

It's always had an oil leak which I was told is not major and can be topped up every now and then which is what I've been doing for the last 5 years or so, until a few month ago when it started to produce thick white smoke via the exhaust and did not pass MOT.

Last month I got the engine reconditioned and a new water pump fitted + a few other bits and bobs, all seemed fine and the car thankfully is running well without any leaks.

However, a few days ago I noticed that the heating wasn't working in the car unless I only select the middle button which lets heat out of the dash vents, but even then it was only working out of the middle dash vent and not the vent by the door on the driver's side.

Selecting the bottom (feet vent) button only gives out cold air even though I have the dial turned up to 28!

Selecting the top (windscreen vent) button, gives out heat on the left side but cold on the right.

I then came to the realisation that only the left side of the car (passengers side) was giving out heat, but not the drivers side.

I can't see any leaks or smell anything so not sure what the issue is.

I can get by for now by turning the heat up to full and leaving it on the middle button so it does heat the car via the passengers side, although it does nothing for my freezing feet.

Before the engine was taken out to be reconditioned the heating has always worked fine without any issues, so I'm wondering if they forgot to plug something in?

I have contacted the garage and will be dropping it off to them next week, but just wanted to hear your thoughts on this in case you have come across a similar issue.

Many thanks, guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudarse View Post
... E90 3 Series 320i..N46....engine...Last month I got the engine reconditioned and a new water pump fitted + a few other bits and bobs, all seemed fine and the car thankfully is running well without any leaks.
However, a few days ago I noticed that the heating wasn't working...I then came to the realisation that only the left side of the car (passengers side) was giving out heat, but not the drivers side.
Before the engine was taken out to be reconditioned the heating has always worked fine without any issues, so I'm wondering if they forgot to plug something in?
Welcome to the Forum!

You don't say where in the world you are located, but since you have such a great "moniker", drive on the wrong side of the road and "realise" your climate control only changes heat delivery on the LEFT (US Driver Side ;-), I presume your are in UK with RHD vehicle.

If everything, or MOST everything about your Climate Control System works as it should, but the RIGHT (UK Driver Side) does NOT change air delivery temp in footwell or side vents when switching between coldest (20C/68F) & Hottest (28C/82F), then CAUSE is likely failure of function of "Mixed Air Flap Motor, Right", M154 in this TIS circuit diagram:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...bution/hwh7J2T

The 320i and N46 were NOT sold in US, so those of US who are becoming "Great Again" are completely ignorant (about your model, at LEAST ;-). Different Climate Control Systems were used in different model years, and in different world markets, but the system linked above is basically the same as that used in the US Models.

Before you or a shop starts pulling things apart in the Dashboard area to diagnose the problem, be aware that INPA or ISTA can show what is NOT working properly in 5 or 10 minutes WITHOUT disassembling ANYTHING. Just connect laptop to OBD II socket, connect to the IHKA Module, and observe "Flap Positions" at different Thermostat settings and different air delivery settings. An example INPA screen for my 2007 model is attached so that you can see HOW the function of each of the EIGHT (8) Flaps is monitored. Four of the flaps (designated as "mixing" flaps) have some effect on air temperature, while the other four flaps determine the outlets from which air is delivered (footwell, facia, windscreen) or air source (outside/fresh air or recirculation of inside air).

The Right & Left "Mixed Air Flaps" aka "Blend Flaps" are independently-controlled by the Right & Left Thermostats. When the A/C compressor is operating (Compressor Valve active causing refrigerant pumping), the evaporator coil is cold for dehumidification purposes, and the air is ALWAYS going through the evaporator coil. Heating of the air (on EACH independent side) is accomplished by routing the cool air through the Heater Core, and the function of the "Blend Flap" or "Mixed Air Flap" on each side is to route NONE (for max cooling), SOME (for regulated heating or cooling), or ALL (for MAX HEAT) of the cool air through the heater core.

In the attached INPA screen, 0% of the air is being directed through the heater core on either side; Mixed Air Flap, Right & Mixed Air Flap, Left: BOTH = 0%. That is full cooling mode. YOU want to see (at 28C Thermostat setting on each side) 100% for BOTH those flaps, meaning ALL air is going through Heater Core. My SWAG is that you will see that 100% Flap Position for LEFT Mixed Air Flap Position, but 0% or nearly so, for RIGHT, regardless of Right Thermostat setting. Here is the "Installation Location" of that Flap Motor (M154) so your shop can determine if they worked in that area (UK Driver Footwell), near the JB/ Junction Box Fuse Panel for any reason, and perhaps dislodged the motor connector:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-320i-lim/QzAGX7m

It is also possible that the flap is simply stuck in full cool position, if heat has NOT been used for months. With 80's model Jags with Vacuum solenoid flaps, it was common to have to give the console area a "whack" with the hand to "regain function" after 6 months of A/C. Servomotor flaps are different, but regular exercise can't hurt, and you might find that simply changing control settings a few times to move each flap will "correct" the issue. If NOT, at least doing that as you monitor change of "Flap Positions" with INPA or such will quickly identify the problem.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F5, F4 Klappenpositionen B.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	868459  

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
3201, e90, heating, preconditioned engine

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search