2007 BMW 328xi P0370 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-16-2019, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto:
2007 BMW 328xi P0370

Hey guys, I just recently acquired a 07 BMW 328xi. Threw a crankshaft code, replaced sensor & the code is no longer throwing. However, when the engine is at running temp and driven around a little bit P0370 is thrown. I've researched possible solutions but is there any way to narrow it down?

There is also a loud squeaking sound when at running temp and at low idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 10:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFox2000 View Post
Hey guys, I just recently acquired a 07 BMW 328xi. Threw a crankshaft code, replaced sensor & the code is no longer throwing. However, when the engine is at running temp and driven around a little bit P0370 is thrown. I've researched possible solutions but is there any way to narrow it down? There is also a loud squeaking sound when at running temp and at low idle.
Welcome to the Forum!

QUESTIONS:
1) What code did you have BEFORE you replaced Crankshaft Sensor -- P0335 | 2A94?
1a) What symptoms did car have BEFORE you replaced Crankshaft sensor -- crank but No Start?
2) WHERE is the "loud squeaking sound" you have NOW coming from -- the area of the Starter & Crankshaft Sensor?
2a) Does the squeaking sound occur at the same time/mileage the P0370 is set or SES light comes on?
2b) Did the squeaking sound begin on the first operation after replacing Crank Sensor?
3) What was the part#, brand and supplier of the replacement sensor?
4) Did either the OLD one or New Replacement have a gasket, "sealing ring" or spacer?
5) WHAT Procedure did you follow in Removing & Replacing the Crankshaft Sensor?

If the New/Replacement Sensor did NOT come with a New Sealing ring, or it came off before installed correctly, that could cause too little/NO air gap which could account for BOTH the Fault Code AND the squeaking sound.

I have never replaced the Crankshaft Sensor on my 2007 328xi, or researched the P0370 code, but here is what BMW Fault Code Lookup provides for a definition of that code for our MSV80 DME (Fault Code Definitions VARY by Control Module Variant):
N52 | P0370 | 2A96 | DME: Crankshaft sensor, tooth fault | MSV80
N52 | P0370 | 2A97 | DME: Crankshaft sensor, gap fault | MSV80

Here is link to the "Fault Information" page for those two faults:
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...EAMQAzADAANAA=

Here is the TIS Procedure for replacing the Crankshaft Sensor, AKA Pulse Generator:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...units/1MbadMln

As you can see, there are TWO different BMW Fault Codes or "Hexadecimal Codes" that have that P-code number, 2A96 & 2A97, and they have different Definitions. If you have access to any Code Reader, Scan Tool or BMW Software such as INPA or ISTA, which READS "Hex Codes", I would suggest getting the correct Definition of the Fault Code that way, and ALSO the Freeze Frame Data and Fault Details, including the mileage when the code was set, whether it causes a Warning Light (SES) and the mileage on your odometer when the SES lights.

Since the Crankshaft Sensor is basically a "proximity sensor" that generates a pulse or square wave every time a "trigger tooth" on the crankshaft pulse wheel passes the sensor, the "air gap" between the trigger teeth and sensor end must be within a certain range, so gasket, spacer & dimensions of sensor are critical. Unless I misinterpret the 2nd definition above, Hex Code Fault 2A97 suggests that AIR GAP is faulty (signal amplitude increases when gap decreases).

If the SOUND is related to the Fault Code being saved, then the sensor may actually be RUBBING on the Trigger Teeth (NO GAP). So just in case that is in fact what is happening, I would investigate the source of the sound IMMEDIATELY before the Trigger Teeth get worn or damaged. Make sure you have the correct part# for your vehicle (per RealOEM.com), and that it is installed with correct procedure per TIS Online Service Manual:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

A pdf with links to "E9x References" is attached, ALL FREE.
George
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 5 views)

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search