N62 Rebuild/Swap - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-17-2019, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Ok so.. how i do it if im not decking the block.. (*just sending the heads)

you use 3m heavy duty scotch pad and hand clean the deck... till its clear and clear aluminum, no power tools (*takes some elbow grease)

once its clean, you blow it all off (get the stuff that fell in the cylinders out,

then you take Permatex 80697 Copper Spray

you spray the deck, and the top of the motor (dont put rags in the cylinders) what ever is on the top of the pistons will burn off instantly

you spray it pretty good... coat it well.. but not to the point where its running or liquidity or collecting

the objective is to make up for the few thousandths of variance that occur when the cylinder head is removed from the block

so spray moderately, immediately set your head gasket in place and then repeat spray again (same as the first time.. just the top of the head gasket)

let it setup for about 90 seconds or so.. and then place your head on and torque

*this has been the method that i have used (*which i was shown by a airforce guy) for dozens of motors.. I have never had to redo a head gasket or had a head gasket go bad after ive done it..

the only exception is if the block is sent out and decked.. you dont need to do any of that.. you can just mate the head to the block with the gasket only (*honeslty even with decking the block... Id do it)

This is a good 2nd step to try if I still get vapors after tightening the head bolts a bit. Anything beats having to re-pull the motor, although I shudder to think of the work required to pull the exhaust manifolds off the heads while in the engine bay..

I suppose I'll have to buy new head bolts, cam bolts and a new head gasket as well, since the bolts have been torqued to yield.

I think my 540 is gonna divorce me if I keep putting too much effort into this 545, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
my 540, laughs at the 550...

15486372<-----
Old 11-17-2019, 08:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
my 540, laughs at the 550...
I know you don't here this a lot, but I have to admit you are one of the most knowledgeable guys here. I love to read your tips. You have jumped on me a couple times, but I am a toddler compared to the wealth of info you release so freely!
Old 11-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: e39, e83, e60
If judged by my use of the written English language: (*which i spell on like a 2nd or 3rd grade level)

i would be and often am called all sorts of words.. BUT ive learned thru life, and sometimes at the expense of others that its better to let your actions speak and let the lack of sound confuse the mind of the non intrigued

and I must admit, getting back in to karate HAs been THE SINGLE best thing ive ever done for my self:

TangSOO!

15486372<-----

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search