335xi in need of some love (hopefully not a mistake) - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 545i, '08 335xi
Looking at pictures of the underside of our valve cover, it looks like that x-pattern piece broke off of that. I had mine off a couple weeks ago and didn't notice damage, but sadly I didn't take a picture. I still have no clue what the metal ring or lower left piece could be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve cover.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	867005  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
What's the scale of the pieces? Got a banana handy?
Old 10-04-2019, 10:17 AM

The pieces are sitting on an 11" x 5.5" (280mm x 140mm) paper towel. I would guess the metal ring has an OD of just under 1-1/2" (38mm).
Old 10-09-2019, 01:58 PM

I replaced the oil pan gasket and installed downpipes and a new charge pipe with a (knock-off) Tial BOV (which is surprisingly quiet). Everything is back together now, but my steering is quite stiff. I seem to have messed something up with it. A quick search brings up lots of issues with the steering U-joints binding after a subframe drop. I'm going to try lubing it to see if that solves the issue. I also flashed the MHD Stage 2+ tune and my cylinder 4 misfire has returned. Now I'm thinking the injector may be the issue. According to my mechanical boost gauge, this tune is making almost 20 PSI of boost. Sadly, I cannot enjoy it as the misfire shows up during any hard pulls. Hopefully I can get this misfire sorted soon.

Last edited by stewbets; 10-09-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi E90 manual
How did you support the rack when you dropped the subframe?
Played the coil/plug/injector shell game?
Walnut blasted?
Old 10-09-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
How did you support the rack when you dropped the subframe?
Played the coil/plug/injector shell game?
Walnut blasted?
Therein lies my problem. I didn't support it. When it came down to it, I didn't really follow a guide when dropping the subframe and thought I had read in several places that you could just let it hang. Did I bend something?

I walnut blasted it about a month ago.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:21 AM

I sprayed the steering U-joints with WD-40 to see if that made a difference and it did. The steering is still on the stiff side, but it feels like it did before the subframe drop, and everything I've read says these cars have heavy steering (it doesn't help that my E60 with active steering is effortless). I swapped the coil packs for cylinders 4 and 5 and this time the misfire followed the coil pack. I'd rather replace coil packs than injectors.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 AM

I replaced the coil pack several days ago and that took care of the misfire under load. That gave me the opportunity to see how fast this MHD Stage 2+ tune is. It's really fast! I wasn't terribly impressed with this car's acceleration before the tune (though it was running an old JB+). It even felt a little slower than my 545i. But it's a night and day difference with the MHD tune. Loads of fun.

I'm going to be replacing the serpentine belt and tensioner soon. I've developed a squeak since putting it back together, and I'm assuming/hoping it's one of the tensioner bearings. Whoever worked on this car earlier likely didn't have a T60 bit because the tensioner was almost completely stripped. I managed to use it a couple times before it completely stripped out, and my short-term solution was to remove the tensioner and pound a 14mm allen bit into the T60 housing in order to re-shape it. It worked, but it appears I also tweaked one of the pulleys on it.

I've also got several dash warnings that I need to code out: multiple bulb checks as well as adaptive headlights and TPMS errors. This car had its oem headlights replaced with aftermarket ones, so coding is going to be the only way to get rid of some of these. The problem is that my INPA doesn't want to fully recognize this car. It keeps returning a VIN mismatch, I believe. It's weird because I've never had any real issues connecting to my E60. I'm strongly considering just buying Bimmergeeks ProTool to take care of this. Anyone see a problem with that? I'm not thrilled about spending $150 on it, but I also don't think I have the patience at this point to keep messing around with my laptop.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
I have protool but it's not a replacement for inpa. I tried to code my e61 to have the aux audio port as an option but it didn't work. I believe I would have to update the firmware with inpa first then enable it in protool. The thing I like about protool is the convenience of having it on my phone.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
I have protool but it's not a replacement for inpa. I tried to code my e61 to have the aux audio port as an option but it didn't work. I believe I would have to update the firmware with inpa first then enable it in protool. The thing I like about protool is the convenience of having it on my phone.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if ProTool will work for the issues I listed?
Old 10-15-2019, 10:41 AM

I broke down and purchased ProTool. It worked for coding out my bulb check, adaptive headlight and TPMS errors. Coding out TPMS wasn't as straightforward as I had read elsewhere, but with some digging I found all the fields that needed to be disabled. I also changed the blinker setting from 3 blinks to 5. The app was a little buggy for me, but nothing too crazy.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:11 AM

This car is insane. I cannot underscore how stark a reliability contrast this thing is to my 545i. I had it around 6K RPM's in second gear last night when I heard a loud pop. I immediately assumed my charge pipe popped off, but that was not the case. The SES light came on and the engine began to run rough. I read the codes and found cylinders 4,5 and 6 are misfiring. And from a little research, all signs point to a fried DME when an entire bank is taken out like that. Lucky me.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Man you have way more patience than I do!
Scrap that thing dude... It's been neglected in its past which is sometimes worse than abuse.
I would check everything else before replacing DME. A loud pop from the front is something along the intake lines. Usual of fuel and spark checks applies here.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
Man you have way more patience than I do!
Scrap that thing dude... It's been neglected in its past which is sometimes worse than abuse.
I would check everything else before replacing DME. A loud pop from the front is something along the intake lines. Usual of fuel and spark checks applies here.
I feel like I'm in too deep on this one to give up now. This car has been equal parts frustration and satisfaction so far, but I'm optimistic that with a little more work I might be a lot more satisfied. I appreciate the advice and it may not be the DME, but I'm going to be pulling it tonight as it's easy to get to so I can test the mosfets. Right now it seems like the likeliest scenario is a burnt mosfet or two, but we shall see.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
This car is insane. I cannot underscore how stark a reliability contrast this thing is to my 545i. I had it around 6K RPM's in second gear last night when I heard a loud pop. I immediately assumed my charge pipe popped off, but that was not the case. The SES light came on and the engine began to run rough. I read the codes and found cylinders 4,5 and 6 are misfiring. And from a little research, all signs point to a fried DME when an entire bank is taken out like that. Lucky me.

I would have never tuned this car considering it had so many issues.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:32 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
I feel like I'm in too deep on this one to give up now.
I'm gonna agree with you here. Just reading this whole thread and keeping tabs on it, you've got too much of your own personal time into this thing to just "throw it away".

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic1079 View Post
I would have never tuned this car considering it had so many issues.
Thanks for sharing!

Got the DME opened up and sure enough, the MOSFET for injector 5 is bad. That's good news. Many others have been here before and I don't think this failure has anything to do with past abuse. I've got the replacement on order and hopefully my soldering skills are up for the challenge!
Old 10-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
I'm gonna agree with you here. Just reading this whole thread and keeping tabs on it, you've got too much of your own personal time into this thing to just "throw it away".
I appreciate your encourgement!
Old 10-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Thanks for sharing!

Got the DME opened up and sure enough, the MOSFET for injector 5 is bad. That's good news. Many others have been here before and I don't think this failure has anything to do with past abuse. I've got the replacement on order and hopefully my soldering skills are up for the challenge!
Well good luck. It has been fun watching you tackle this project since you bought the car. You clearly have a very good skill set so keep going if you have the patience.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
Thanks for sharing!

Just out of curiosity, how did you verify a bad MOSFET? I remember trying to find one with multimeter with very little success.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you verify a bad MOSFET? I remember trying to find one with multimeter with very little success.
There are quite a few videos that demonstrate the continuity test that can be performed. This one's pretty short:

If either the left or the right leg of the MOSFET has continuity with the center post, it's bad. Cylinder 5 seems to go out most frequently.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:02 AM

I'm very relieved to report that the replacement MOSFET fixed my DME. I also had to replace coil pack #5 as it got taken out when the MOSFET failed, but it's a success! While the car was down this weekend I replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner. I didn't think it would make such a big difference, but apparently it had a very noisy pulley. I also finally got my dual cone intakes from SSR Performance. Between the DCI's and the new tensioner, I can hear all the fun turbo and blow-off valve sounds so much better.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi E90 manual
Nice work.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:25 AM

Would you believe me if I told you I had another MOSFET go out in my DME? This time I took the popular advice and replaced all six. The reason why I didn't do this to begin with is because I don't completely trust my soldering skills and didn't want to mess something else up in the process. I find it to be a pretty nerve-racking process, but it's done now and hopefully ALL my problems are a thing of the past. Haha!
Old 10-29-2019, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i
Man I was seriously thinking about getting a 2011 335 Xi, but after reading all this I'm not so sure lol. I love working on cars, and since my 2001 325i got fried by lightning, I wanted something else to tinker with.. oh and also 300hp. My poor 2001 is completely gutted sitting in my garage waiting on parts to come in. Good luck though! It's been an interesting read so far.

OH! I forgot to ask.. Walnut Blasting.. you did this with the head attached?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search