vin number"0" in 10th place...(year) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
lep lep is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Mein Auto:
vin number"0" in 10th place...(year)

if someone know more about the "0" . A friend is telling me mi z3 is not from 1997.

vin: WBACH71 010LA26523
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Giznaz Giznaz is offline
Need a tow?
Location: PacNW
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 245
Mein Auto: '99 Z3 2.8/'11 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lep View Post
if someone know more about the "0" . A friend is telling me mi z3 is not from 1997.

vin: WBACH71 010LA26523
Real OEM says it is:

You Have Selected: P Z3 roa Z3 1.9 M44 ECE 19961000 L N
Production Code: CH71, batch ID: 48079

Non-USA roadster, built 1996-10, likely 97 model year, 1.9 Liter M44 engine

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 PM
greyish's Avatar
greyish greyish is offline
tire consumer
Location: huntsville, al
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 555
Mein Auto: 99 z3c
Agreed.

ETK lists yours as a 1997 Z3, left-hand drive, 1.9 (M44). Build date of 1996/10.

..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
rehostman rehostman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 647
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 E90 M3
I still don't understand why people use Real OEM or ETK for decoding the VIN. They are both incorrect.

The 10th digit of the VIN is the vehicle model year, and starts with the letter D for MY83. In the alphabetical sequence, the letters I, O, Q, U, and Z are left out. Then they use numerical digits, starting with number 1.

This leads to the following sequence for the 10th digit:

D 1983
E 1984
F 1985
G 1986
H 1987
J 1988
K 1989
L 1990
M 1991
N 1992
P 1993
R 1994
S 1995
T 1996
V 1997
W 1998
X 1999
Y 2000
1 2001
2 2002
3 2003
4 2004
5 2005
6 2006
7 2007
8 2008

The VIN you are providing cannot be correct. 0 is not a valid 10th digit.

Cheers.
__________________

Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Leather
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Giznaz Giznaz is offline
Need a tow?
Location: PacNW
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 245
Mein Auto: '99 Z3 2.8/'11 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehostman View Post
I still don't understand why people use Real OEM or ETK for decoding the VIN. They are both incorrect.
Cheers.
Hmmm I haven't found it to be wrong yet, in my dealings.

However, YMMV, TTIW***, LOL, IIRC and other internet acronyms
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 PM
rehostman rehostman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 647
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giznaz View Post
Hmmm I haven't found it to be wrong yet, in my dealings.

However, YMMV, TTIW***, LOL, IIRC and other internet acronyms
I am not familiar with these acronyms except for LOL so I am not sure what to make of these. But the VIN is an IEEE standard. The following sites give a fairly complete description of the structure of a VIN for cars:

www.decodethis.com
www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com

Clearly, the digit 0 is not a valid vehicle model year number.

I may have been unlucky with my use of ETK and RealOEM VIN decoders.

Cheers.
__________________

Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Leather
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,141
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehostman View Post
I still don't understand why people use Real OEM or ETK for decoding the VIN. They are both incorrect.

The 10th digit of the VIN is the vehicle model year, and starts with the letter D for MY83. In the alphabetical sequence, the letters I, O, Q, U, and Z are left out. Then they use numerical digits, starting with number 1.


The VIN you are providing cannot be correct. 0 is not a valid 10th digit.

Cheers.
The VIN posted is correct.
__________________
.
.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
postalZ3 postalZ3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 401
Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.8
1. Non-USA model?
2. Prod date and model year will cause confusion

My vin YLF71040 prod date of 6/99 is a 00 model

Tony
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/JMjPR.jpg border=0 alt= />
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-2008, 11:05 AM
rehostman rehostman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 647
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 E90 M3
Hi.

I may have poorly explained myself. The VIN posted WBACH71010LA26523 is correctly posted but is an invalid VIN as per the IEEE standard. Most of the VIN decoders on the web do not pick up on that.

As postalZ3 shows it with his/her VIN (YLF71040) his Saprtansburg-produced Z3 in June of 1999 is a Model 2000 vehicle and therefore has a Y for its 10th digit.

I really have no idea why the 10th digit of lep's VIN is a 0.

Cheers.
__________________

Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Leather
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM
jsc's Avatar
jsc jsc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,441
Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehostman View Post
Hi.

I may have poorly explained myself. The VIN posted WBACH71010LA26523 is correctly posted but is an invalid VIN as per the IEEE standard. Most of the VIN decoders on the web do not pick up on that.

As postalZ3 shows it with his/her VIN (YLF71040) his Saprtansburg-produced Z3 in June of 1999 is a Model 2000 vehicle and therefore has a Y for its 10th digit.

I really have no idea why the 10th digit of lep's VIN is a 0.

Cheers.
It is a valid VIN, only the North American produced vehicles followed the ISO 3779 VIN standard strictly in 1997, but this vehicle was manufactured in Germany. Here is a quote about VINs:
"The European Union has a similar regulation for VINs, but it is less stringent than the North American rule. European VINs are not required to include year, factory or vehicle attribute data. However, the two systems are compatible. While most countries have some form of VIN system that is compatible with the North American system, cars that are imported must have their VIN number entered into the MVR database along with enough information to explain what the codes are if the original VIN system differs from the ISO 3779 standard." ( http://auto.howstuffworks.com/vin.htm )
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-05-2008, 01:52 PM
greyish's Avatar
greyish greyish is offline
tire consumer
Location: huntsville, al
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 555
Mein Auto: 99 z3c
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
It is a valid VIN, only the North American produced vehicles followed the ISO 3779 VIN standard strictly in 1997, but this vehicle was manufactured in Germany. Here is a quote about VINs:
"The European Union has a similar regulation for VINs, but it is less stringent than the North American rule. European VINs are not required to include year, factory or vehicle attribute data. However, the two systems are compatible. While most countries have some form of VIN system that is compatible with the North American system, cars that are imported must have their VIN number entered into the MVR database along with enough information to explain what the codes are if the original VIN system differs from the ISO 3779 standard." ( http://auto.howstuffworks.com/vin.htm )

I'm positive someone will correct me if I am wrong, but all Z3s were built in SC plant. The WBA... has more to do with manufacturer and origin of the majority of parts.
Also, the VINs for Z3s were WBAs and USCs at different points. I happen to have a USC... Regardless, all built in South Carolina.

Edit: the explanation may still be accurate since it was not labeled as a US-built car, even though it was put together here.

..

Last edited by greyish; 03-05-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
greyish's Avatar
greyish greyish is offline
tire consumer
Location: huntsville, al
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 555
Mein Auto: 99 z3c
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehostman View Post
I may have poorly explained myself. The VIN posted WBACH71010LA26523 is correctly posted but is an invalid VIN as per the IEEE standard. Most of the VIN decoders on the web do not pick up on that.

As postalZ3 shows it with his/her VIN (YLF71040) his Saprtansburg-produced Z3 in June of 1999 is a Model 2000 vehicle and therefore has a Y for its 10th digit.

I really have no idea why the 10th digit of lep's VIN is a 0.

I can only guess at this as the zero in that position baffles me as well. With some cursory futzing with ETK and some VIN decoders, my guess is that the "0" in that position is necessary to make the checknum work. That still does not explain to me why they would do that, but that is my guess.

Perhaps Ron can fill us in?

..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-05-2008, 03:19 PM
jsc's Avatar
jsc jsc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,441
Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyish View Post
I can only guess at this as the zero in that position baffles me as well. With some cursory futzing with ETK and some VIN decoders, my guess is that the "0" in that position is necessary to make the checknum work. That still does not explain to me why they would do that, but that is my guess.

Perhaps Ron can fill us in?

..
I think the issue of using a Euro VIN on a US built car is that technically the BMW Spartanburg plant was on German soil in 1997, as part of a free-trade zone, so US VIN numbers were not used then for Z3s produced in that free trade zone. Looks like this ended for BMW on or about 2001 due to this court case: http://www.usdoj.gov/osg/briefs/2001...0238.resp.html

BMWs assembled in Spartanburg while the plant was in the free trade zone were subject to import duty for US sold vehicles.

Also, from an old post:

"10: Model Year (applies to US cars and some non-US/NA)
T-1996, V-1997, W-1998, X-1999, Y-2000, 1-2001, 2-2002
Often, but not always, "0" for non-US/NA cars"

- https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=35

Last edited by jsc; 03-05-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Add link to year digit explanation
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:29 PM
greyish's Avatar
greyish greyish is offline
tire consumer
Location: huntsville, al
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 555
Mein Auto: 99 z3c
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
I think the issue of using a Euro VIN on a US built car is that technically the BMW Spartanburg plant was on German soil in 1997, as part of a free-trade zone, so US VIN numbers were not used then for Z3s produced in that free trade zone. Looks like this ended for BMW on or about 2001 due to this court case: http://www.usdoj.gov/osg/briefs/2001...0238.resp.html

BMWs assembled in Spartanburg while the plant was in the free trade zone were subject to import duty for US sold vehicles.

I want to say I remember an old thread about this, possibly even some discussion in the one you linked, but mine is a 99 non-M Z (12/98 build) and it has a 4USC.. VIN. Which is a US designation. Whereas M coupes all seem to have WBSC.. from 1998 all the way to late 2001 production (anecdotal), the last ones having 5UMC.

So while that court case may very well have had something to do with it, it still seems as though the origin of the bulk of the parts might have something to do with it, at least prior to that case. That is my quasi-educated guess.

..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:28 PM
rehostman rehostman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 647
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i, 2009 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
It is a valid VIN, only the North American produced vehicles followed the ISO 3779 VIN standard strictly in 1997, but this vehicle was manufactured in Germany. Here is a quote about VINs:
"The European Union has a similar regulation for VINs, but it is less stringent than the North American rule. European VINs are not required to include year, factory or vehicle attribute data. However, the two systems are compatible. While most countries have some form of VIN system that is compatible with the North American system, cars that are imported must have their VIN number entered into the MVR database along with enough information to explain what the codes are if the original VIN system differs from the ISO 3779 standard." ( http://auto.howstuffworks.com/vin.htm )
Awesome. I think that quote should rest this case.
__________________

Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Leather
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-26-2018, 10:58 PM
ksaigon ksaigon is offline
Registered User
Location: Vietnam
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1
Send a message via ICQ to ksaigon
Mein Auto: 320i
Also have same question, I have VIN WBA8X310X0G831783 and do not know when it's manufactured
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-27-2018, 04:47 AM
vintage42's Avatar
vintage42 vintage42 is offline
BMW CCA 1405
Location: Louisville, KY
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Put the last 7 into the decoder at bimmer.work to see your build data:
http://bimmer.work/vin/3175d80b3fd71...67b9d95c33fca/
You have a Metallic Red 320i made on 2017-01-23.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:49 AM
Gew Gew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Mein Auto:
I know a Japanese car which has the digit zero for tenth character in it's VIN as well. All online VIN decoders leave out model year, sigh.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.