2006 325i: Questions About Satellite Radio - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-30-2019, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
2006 325i: Questions About Satellite Radio

I got my 2006 325i in November 2017, and it came sat radio ready. A few months after purchase I picked up a used module off eBay, installed it, and took the car to a stealership for programming. It worked for a few months before the entire sound system crapped out, and I got the "SOS" error. The stealership said the sat radio malfunctioned, and they took it out of the system.

I like my Sirius-XM, so for a while I just use the Sirius-XM app on my phone and played it through the aux input. I often found that frustrating, as the app was often flaky. So, earlier this year I purchased another sat radio module off eBay, installed it, and had somebody remote program it in. That was maybe six or seven months ago.

Now the sat radio is acting flaky again. Different failure mode this time--all functions work fine except sat radio. Sat radio intermittently just cuts out, and sometimes this is accompanied by the message with the phone number to subscribe. I assume it is the module, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm having thoughts of dropping another $100 on another module. (I am not prepared to pay $900 for a new one.) But I am wondering if these modules are all just old and ready to die? Another thought is if there is a problem with heat. I noticed on the Interwebs a while back that some cars have a fan associated with the sat radio module. Mine does not. I see that I can purchase a bracket that has a place for the fan to attach, and I can purchase the fan. However, I cannot see where in my car there is a power connection for such a fan.

One day earlier this week, after getting home from work, I opened the trunk, lifted the floor cover, and found the sat radio module was rather hot to the touch. Maybe BMW found sometime after 2006 that heat was a problem for these things and started installing fans for them? Even with a fan, I'm not sure where the heat would go.

So, any advice?
Does my car have a power connection for a fan, and I just don't see it?
Is there a problem other than heat?
Maybe just bad luck with the modules I have purchased?

I have also had thoughts of going aftermarket. Looks like for somewhere between $500 and $1000 I can get an aftermarket head unit and appropriate connectors to tie in with the Premium Sound System.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 03:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Before you do anything aftermarket be sure of which sound system you have.
Premium was the 676 Hi Fi option and was not the best sound system there
were two above that Logic 7 and Individual Audio.
676 uses analog connections to the amp the other two use a fiberoptic connection
to the amp.

There is and e90 stereo and idrive forum here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122

Last edited by ctuna; 08-30-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have a bunch of fiber optic connections and a center speaker on the dash. It has been my thinking that I therefore have Logic 7. Does that seem correct?

I had loads of fun playing with the fiber optic connections behind the side of the rear seat when I first installed the satellite module.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5d - 06 325i
Do you have i-drive? If not you can get a pro radio from a 09 up with sirius built in for around $100. It will also have HD radio and not suffer from fading pixels. You will need to extend the pink antenna connection from the trunk to the back of the new radio (see link below). And the radio will need to be coded so it knows the options your car has.

To find a radio, search ebay and run the vin numbers for the donor cars until you find one that came with sirius. Otherwise you will need an FSC code to enable the sirius hardware in the radio for additional money/effort. Just because the radio says sirius on the sticker does not mean the sirius hardware was enabled by BMW.

I found this one looking for 5 minutes. Note all the models it came in.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIO-128i-...6/153521987907

Note the 655A option
https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/vl90869

Antenna extension
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+pink&_sacat=0

Last edited by smassey321; 08-30-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:27 PM

I do not have iDrive.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
Do you have i-drive? If not you can get a pro radio from a 09 up with sirius built in for around $100. It will also have HD radio and not suffer from fading pixels. You will need to extend the pink antenna connection from the trunk to the back of the new radio (see link below). And the radio will need to be coded so it knows the options your car has.
I am really liking this idea!

So, other than the sat antenna, the other connections will be the same as for my current Professional radio? Plug and play?

I wonder if I will have to go in and fiddle with the MOST loops to take the current sat module out of the loop?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
I am really liking this idea!

So, other than the sat antenna, the other connections will be the same as for my current Professional radio? Plug and play?

I wonder if I will have to go in and fiddle with the MOST loops to take the current sat module out of the loop?
The wiring connections will be the same between old and new radios. It would be plug and play only if the donor had the exact options your car has (logic 7, mulf, tcu and so on). Otherwise the new radio will need to be coded by a local coder. The dealer can't program a radio that new in your old car.

Current sat module most will need to be terminated or re-patched at most hub behind rear seat.

Other advantages of the newer radio are faster channel changes for FM and Sirius.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:15 AM

I don't know if this was mentioned but you will probably have to program
the Radio to your cars specs. Audio System and accessory's if you get a
replacement.

The dealer would be the last place I would go for aftermarket programming.
If they aren't replacing the exact same thing and the options vary from the stock
list they either won't do it or will be befuddled if things don't work.
The coding software that people typically use to add stuff is better than Ista P
at adding stuff that is off the list for your year and model.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-31-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
The wiring connections will be the same between old and new radios. It would be plug and play only if the donor had the exact options your car has (logic 7, mulf, tcu and so on). Otherwise the new radio will need to be coded by a local coder. The dealer can't program a radio that new in your old car.

Current sat module most will need to be terminated or re-patched at most hub behind rear seat.

Other advantages of the newer radio are faster channel changes for FM and Sirius.
As I have been doing some research into this option (installing a head unit from a newer car), I have come up with the following questions:

My car has an auxiliary input in the center console compartment. I get the impression that a newer unit (say, 2010 or 2011) may have a USB input? Maybe no auxiliary? Can anyone confirm that? If that is the case, any idea if the newer head can be programmed to work with my aux input? Right now the aux is the only way I can play audio from my phone.

Also, any idea if a 2010-2011 head unit will have Bluetooth audio streaming?
Old 09-04-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
As I have been doing some research into this option (installing a head unit from a newer car), I have come up with the following questions:

My car has an auxiliary input in the center console compartment. I get the impression that a newer unit (say, 2010 or 2011) may have a USB input? Maybe no auxiliary? Can anyone confirm that? If that is the case, any idea if the newer head can be programmed to work with my aux input? Right now the aux is the only way I can play audio from my phone.

Also, any idea if a 2010-2011 head unit will have Bluetooth audio streaming?
There were some radios that had USB inputs directly on the head unit. I believe these were for non-US market cars. I have not seen many for sale on ebay. Your current aux is hooked directly to the radio. Once the new radio is coded, it Aux should function the same as it does now. I have not tested this as my car already had USB when I upgraded to the newer radio.

If you want USB, you would need to retrofit a MULF2-High. It can use the SOS/Assist/TCU wiring in the trunk. You would need to run USB and Aux wiring to the center console. You can then add a tune2air to get bluetooth for music.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:41 AM

In car with the opton for cdc this

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...4#post23244354

Its cheap and it works well give you bluetooth music streaming bluetooth phone
usb and sd playback another aux and doesn't use the crappy BMW aux.
Steering wheel controls for most functions (and relatively inexpensive)

Only downside interface is kind of awkward changing sources.

As far as I know Pro Radio units won't do streaming even if you have a Combox.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-04-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 AM

First off, I always appreciate the advice that you take the time to give!

Second, can anyone confirm whether "programming" the radio head unit for satellite radio requires an ICOM cable, or if it can be done with K+DCAN? I found someone reasonably near to me who will do coding; he has a K+DCAN, but not ICOM. In another thread, ctuna suggested I might need ICOM for this.

More updates: I bought the exact head unit linked above by smassey. If the seller information is correct, it came from a 2011 car with the S665A option for Satellite Tuner. I hope that means I will not need an FSC code. I "test fit" the new radio yesterday. I popped out the old unit and plugged in the new one, and it generally seemed to work fine. The AUDIO button revealed three sources: TUNER, CD, and AUX. The tuner works fine, and so does the aux input. I don't care about the CD, and didn't bother to try it. I wish I had thought to try pairing my phone with Bluetooth, but I did not. I did not leave the new unit in the car, as the mounting frame in the dash interferes with the satellite antenna plug on the back of the new unit. When I have more time I will have to pull that frame and cut out a section to provide clearance.

I hope that the rest of the process is simply to put the new unit back in and get somebody to code/program it for the sat radio. If anyone can confirm in advance whether or not I need an ICOM cable, that will likely save me some time and maybe some $$$.

By the way, over this past summer I tried to get my laptop set for doing this sort of thing myself. I purchased a K+DCAN cable and went through a procedure I found online for loading INPA and coding software. I got INPA to work, but not the coding. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice with the same result. Maybe over a holiday or next summer I will try again.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 AM

You are suppose to get away with a K/d can cable up until the 3/07 build.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 AM

Mission Accomplished!

As mentioned in post #12, I purchased the very head unit that smassey referenced in post #4. I also purchased an extension for the satellite radio antenna. I ran the antenna extension from the trunk, down the left side of the floor, and up under the dash. I installed the "new" head unit after making a modification to the bracket that holds the head unit in the dash--I had to cut away part of the bracket where it interfered with the connector for the sat radio antenna. I thought I had an option for a local person to do the coding, but that didn't work out, so I ended up contacting BimmerTech. After some email conversation, they figured I would need an FSC code that would match the new radio to my car's VIN. So, I hired them to get the FSC code, and this morning BimmerTech did a remote coding session and activated the satellite radio. One little surprise, the sat radio worked right away. I thought I would need to contact Sirius and have them enable the new tuner, but it just works.

Thanks a bunch to smassey and ctuna for the input!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search