Automatic Transmission 'jerky' downshifting when stopping - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
My new-to-me '11 328i does this. It feels like engine braking. During the test drive the salesman said to me, w/out me even bringing it up, "some people think BMW's downshift weird when coming to a stop. It's due to the way the steptronic transmission is designed & they all do that". Do they not all use engine braking when coasting to a stop? I know it drives me nuts & if I can make it go away I'd like to. Under warranty for 5K more miles & CPO warranty for 55K more miles. Thanks.
Perfectly normal for the Steptronic transmissions to shift down as speed reduces during braking...the use of gearing to help slow the automobile during braking is more noticeable while in the DS mode, and is appreciated during spirited driving.

Post #24 behavior...odd, does not at all sound right, sounds like her foot slipped off the brake, hit the gas, causing the car to jump the curb...no way an IDLING engine (800 repm) would do that in any gear...think about it.

Last edited by wilt; 01-12-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 02:34 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
I am glad I have found this thread, definitely experiencing it in my 2008 335i... in my best attempt to describe it:

1. Only happens in full auto
2. Usually only when the car is cold
3. Usually only in 2nd and 3rd gear
4. Car "lurches" 2-3 times while accelerating lightly
4. Does not happen if you accelerate hard

I'm going to take that SIB with my car to BMW and see what they say...
Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
My 2012 X5 50i had the same symptoms as the OPs. After hearing the usual BS from one stealership that it was all "normal", I took it to another one, and they reset the fuel and tranny adaptation (not the DIY method), and voila, car runs awesome!
Hello, I just bought a BMW 2012 X5 xDrive5.0. I'm having a issue where the automatic transmission seems to be downshifting to 1st gear in a jerky fashion. It almost feels like I'm pulsing the brakes when I'm coasting to a stop (but I've confirmed I'm NOT hitting the brakes, I've tried coasting to a stop and NOT hitting the brakes, and I feel this jerky motion)

Is this the same issue you were having?

Was it fixed with resetting fuel and tranny adaptation??

The car is still under CPO and maintenance so I'll take it in but I'm not happy having issues with the car after only having it for 1 week. As much as I love beemers (I was the proud owner of a 2001 BMW 330ci which was fun as hell to drive) this maybe my last..

Last edited by sidvsicious7; 01-30-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: grammar police
Old 01-30-2015, 12:37 PM

Add
brake: what stops the car from its rolling motion (whether or not the transmission makes it jerky)
break: what you have to repair yourself or pay to have repaired (not the same as a 'brake')

Last edited by wilt; 01-30-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: Miata
I don't want to bump an old thread but I do want to point out that this is EXACTLY what I am experiencing in a 2013 328i. It's so bizarre that a seemingly "luxury car" would have a flaw as ridiculous as this. Never in my life of driving various automatic economy Japanese cars have I experienced this bizarre shift pattern that just makes the ride unpleasant. It literally feels like someone downshifts and then drops the clutch with zero revmatching. Combined with the trash throttle response in first gear (another well known issue), I am really starting to despise everything about this car's transmission. What a pile of junk
Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
BMW uses ZF automatic transmissions that require service beyond BMW's recommendation. Hondas use Hondamatics that are autoshifting transmissions, apples to oranges.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjose View Post
I don't want to bump an old thread but I do want to point out that this is EXACTLY what I am experiencing in a 2013 328i. It's so bizarre that a seemingly "luxury car" would have a flaw as ridiculous as this. Never in my life of driving various automatic economy Japanese cars have I experienced this bizarre shift pattern that just makes the ride unpleasant. It literally feels like someone downshifts and then drops the clutch with zero revmatching. Combined with the trash throttle response in first gear (another well known issue), I am really starting to despise everything about this car's transmission. What a pile of junk
Not a flaw, BMW designs its cars to aid the driver in acceleration and DEceleration more rapidly than almost entirely depending upon brakes to slow the car. The transmission downshift is felt more on BMW in sport mode than non-sport mode, because the engine revs higher while downshifting because the transmission shift down to a lower gear, and for BOTH those behaviors the downshift is more forcefully felt in sport mode than non-sport.

The Japoboxes generally are not trying to use the engine as agressively to slow the vehicle, so the car stays in a higher gear, causing the engine to be at lower RPMs -- which also happens to be where torque of the engine is lower, too.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0 SE & K1300GT EE
Well having suffered clunky down shifts from 2-1 when stopping had the transfer box actuator gear die, replaced for 10 on eBay and had the transfer box oil changed . The car had 3 transfer box fault codes so thought I was in for a big bill. Best 100 I have spent on the car, the issue has gone completely ifonly I had done this eight years ago!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Sedan
Re-set the trans

The auto transmissions are 'adaptive' or 'learning'. They will learn your driving style. It worked great for me. Just do the following:

Turn the ignition on, do not start car.
Press gas pedal to floor for 30-40 secs. (you may or may not get a notification)
Start car and drive as you normally drive.
You will notice an immediate change in the shifting as it learns your driving style. The car will get smoother everyday!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:58 PM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfx View Post
The auto transmissions are 'adaptive' or 'learning'. They will learn your driving style. It worked great for me. Just do the following:

Turn the ignition on, do not start car.
Press gas pedal to floor for 30-40 secs. (you may or may not get a notification)
Start car and drive as you normally drive.
You will notice an immediate change in the shifting as it learns your driving style. The car will get smoother everyday!
All this does is reset the throttle body adaptations. I cant believe people are still pushing this lie around. It will 100% not reset anything in the transmission.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Sedan
Well for me what ever it did made a huge difference and my car drives super smooth. Also, if it is just a throttle body change, why do I have such a drastic change in the downshifting when coming to a stop when no throttle is being used, just coasting? Like I said, it has worked great for me.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfx View Post
Well for me what ever it did made a huge difference and my car drives super smooth. Also, if it is just a throttle body change, why do I have such a drastic change in the downshifting when coming to a stop when no throttle is being used, just coasting? Like I said, it has worked great for me.
I can only state facts. The rest is for you yo decide.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 330i
I had a same issue with 2008 330i, jerk or kick back right before stopping and it's fixed by resetting transmission setting. I searched it up and there was many suggestions like transmission fluid change, solenoid replacement etc, but software reset just worked. It's officially called "reset adaptation values" under transmission menu. You can do it yourself or go to the shop and ask transmission software reset.

Here's what we need:
K+DCAN USB INPA Cable (ebay or amazon)
BMW software tools installed on Windows

You can find the specific instructions on the link below.
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-rese...daptations-zf6
Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 06 325i and 99 R1100RT
My 06 also did this when I got it last week. Reset tranny with my Foxwell and all's good. For now. From what I've read, it'll most likely come back. If it does, guess I'll just keep on resetting it.
Plus a bunch of others...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search