Experience with Driving Assistant 5DP - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 320d F30 2018
Experience with Driving Assistant 5DP

Hi.

Could someone share their experience with how the collision warning is supposed to work ?

I have it set to warn at earliest state, but I have a hard time finding out when it shows the small car alert.

It works 100% of the time when driving to close to that car in front, but when approaching a car in front with lower speed, or standing still, it is quite random I think, when it alerts me.

This morning, out of nowhere, it suddenly beeped and flashed the big car icon(I have 6WB), no cars in sight, but it was dark, and maybe it got confused over a lit up road sign or something.

What are your experience, if any, with 5DP collision alert. Lane departure and Speed limit info works like a charm

/Weebyx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 04 M3, 14 335GT, 13 X3
My experience (2014 335GT) is that shadows on the road can confuse it. Also roads that turn uphill quickly (like some driveways) set it off if you're going fast enough. Note that it won't alarm if you're already on the brakes - probably a good thing because if you're already focused on stopping or slowing, you don't need another distraction.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebloom View Post
My experience (2014 335GT) is that shadows on the road can confuse it. Also roads that turn uphill quickly (like some driveways) set it off if you're going fast enough. Note that it won't alarm if you're already on the brakes - probably a good thing because if you're already focused on stopping or slowing, you don't need another distraction.
Yes, I have noticed that if not pressing on the throttle, or braking, it disables the system

/Weebyx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 08:32 PM
Dave

Mein Auto: '18 330e
So far, mine has worked really well.

It actually almost saved me. By almost, I mean it went off when traffic slowed rapidly ahead due to a left turn from a car a few cars ahead of me. But it beeped and flashed about a millisecond before I was on the brake. I might have been looking at the radio, or the NAV, or the pretty girl walking on the street. Who knows. But it did go off BEFORE I saw the slowing traffic.

The only false alarm so far was a gentle downhill left turn, and in front of me, on the side of the road, was a huge construction sign. It beeped and the red car warning in the HUD. I didn't brake and it just stopped after I made the gentle corner. I was going about 35- 40 mph.

Dave
BMW CCA #67486
Old 10-21-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAirman View Post
So far, mine has worked really well.

It actually almost saved me. By almost, I mean it went off when traffic slowed rapidly ahead due to a left turn from a car a few cars ahead of me. But it beeped and flashed about a millisecond before I was on the brake. I might have been looking at the radio, or the NAV, or the pretty girl walking on the street. Who knows. But it did go off BEFORE I saw the slowing traffic.

The only false alarm so far was a gentle downhill left turn, and in front of me, on the side of the road, was a huge construction sign. It beeped and the red car warning in the HUD. I didn't brake and it just stopped after I made the gentle corner. I was going about 35- 40 mph.
Did the car brake for you ? I have never noticed any breaking at all, even though it says it will do it in daylight.

Although I have never heard and seen the car flashing/beeping, other than the one time where it did it when it was dark.

/Weebyx

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search