Where do you wash your BMW now? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Where do you wash your BMW now?

I used to always bring my normal car to an automatic car wash that did a great job. Now that I have a BMW I assume I shouldn't take it to that automatic car wash anymore? Other than washing it myself in the driveway, is my only option to take it to a detail shop now?
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi
I detail cars for a hobby. I wash in my driveway, but also use the self-service bays in the winter. I bring along two buckets; one with hot water and the other with cool (for rinsing my wash mitt). Works fine.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I usually clean and wash and finish my BMW in the driveway because no one loves my BMW more than I do, no one will be as careful as I am. That said, I only have liquid water May through October, otherwise outside water is frozen and taps are drained.

We travel March and April and then I use touchless automatic car washes. A dealer's wash shop touched once and never again, no one loves my X5 as much as I do.

My X5 is detailed with 100% polydimethylsiloxane hand rubbed.

Many BMW models have particular deficiencies that should be attended to while you are cleaning. X5 sunroof drains notoriously clog and overflow down the A and C pillars and have caused tens of thousands of dollars of damage by flooding electronics compartments.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 10-08-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto:
Yup I used to love washing in my driveway when I lived elsewhere but my current neighborhood doesn't offer any privacy. I plan to move soon but in the meantime I wanted to ask. Though it is funny after positing this topic I was reminded of a touchless automatic wash that just sprays your car so I hope that will be OK for now.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Turbo Vert
One of those bay washers with the hose... although, I bucket wash there. Against the rules, but the owners don't say anything since I normally go at 7 or 8 am. If it is busy, I keep driving dirty for another week. lol

Now that I live in a place that I can wash in the driveway, I'll more than likely do that soon as I setup everything. Privacy? Washing your car in a thong? LOL...

I had a touchless washer put circles in my Honda accord's paint. Maybe a freak incident since I've never heard of anyone else having the same issue.

BMW is a "normal" car... you will get over that quickly... only thing I get is the logo and it telling me I need a dealer trip every other month it seems. That gets tiring. Would not change the car for the world right now though.. lol

Last edited by jtmat; 10-08-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto:
Nah privacy as in keeping away from shady neighbors that walk from their lower priced houses a few blocks away into my neighborhood.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Turbo Vert
Really???

Try a smile and wave hello.... might be surprised.

Then again I live in DC where ever other car is a BMW so it is like I drive a honda still.

At any rate, good luck... damn... really... lol
Old 10-09-2019, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmat View Post
Really???

Try a smile and wave hello.... might be surprised.

Then again I live in DC where ever other car is a BMW so it is like I drive a honda still.

At any rate, good luck... damn... really... lol
Agreed.... Someone must think dey is impotent.....
Old 10-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto:
I heard rumors about these guys from my neighbors they are not the kind you want to hang around. Since nearly every house now is built where the driveway leads straight to your garage from the street I will basically be on the side of the street as they walk past. I travel the country and it is true there are many areas were nice cars are normal and not even thought of but in my neighborhood where the nicest car is a used Honda Civic people are stopping in the road to look at my car. I didn't know it would draw so much attention until I got it.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto:
That would be a great thing because nobody loves your car better than you.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: F10
I don't have a driveway. If and when particularly grimy I take it for a pressure wash. Otherwise, it's 1 gallon of distilled water, Optimum No Rinse and a bunch of micro fiber towels. Said "no" to automated washes a long time ago.

Last edited by Breach; 10-16-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
My garage faces southwest. So, washing a car in the afternoon is a non-starter. After sundown, the bugs would carry me off. I've started washing my cars early in the morning. One of the things I've noticed is that there are a lot of (other) old geezers out prowling around the 'hood at sunrise. They like getting in their walking before it gets too hot. Two of my neighbors are hotties, and walk their dogs. I always make a point to pet their dogs so that they'll drag their hottie dog-mommies back over to see me the next time they walk by.

Frau Putzer leaves the house at 7:30 a.m., and stays gone until about noon on weekdays. So if I get a late start on car washing, I do a high-velocity spray in the driveway to knock off the grit, and then I actually wash the cars inside the 1.75-car garage, followed by a low-velocity rinse to get the soap off. The garage floor slopes toward the garage door and driveway, so with the garage door open all the water drains out onto the driveway.

We're moving to Tennessee next year, and building a new house. I started with the garage design, and then designed the house around the garage. Bay #1 will have a drain in the center with the floor sloping to it. I'll seal up the joints and the edge where the slab meets the walls, and have extra lighting. They make waterproof lighting, and I'm going to have some mounted on the walls to illuminate the sides, front and back of the cars for washing. Bay #2 will have a drive-on lift for storing a 4th car and for oil changes. Bay #3 will have a flat floor to facilitate a Quick Jack, for tire rotation and brake work.

The garage will be insulated, heated, and air-conditioned. I'll still have to do a high-velocity spray in the driveway to knock off the grit. But, I'll be able to wash cars 24 hours/day as long as the outside temperature is above freezing. They make garage shower curtains, sort of like the privacy curtains in hospitals. So, there's a possibility of putting those in to protect the walls, doors, and windows, and doing the high velocity rinse inside, too. That would achieve true 24/7/365 car washing capability, 24/7/366 in leap years.

There used to be an old hag next door who would get pissed every time I washed my car. She was pissed because she thought I should be doing yard work instead.

MyNewBimmer's right about the privacy thing. Back when I lived in an apartment complex, I was cleaning the windows on my Nissan Sentra SE-R in the parking lot. A little psycho' 13 year old kid in the building was giving me a dirty look. I went up to my apartment to get something, and when I came back he was trying to break the headlight lens on the car. There was no damage. If he'd dented the car, they never would have found the little bastard's body.

The only time I leave one of my cars in the driveway unattended is from maybe 5 a.m. to 7 a.m., and that's to let the tires cool down (from being in the warmer garage) to check the tire pressure. The new garage will allow three Cadillac Escalades to be parked in there, with four feet between them and between the Escalade's and the side walls of the garage. So, I can scoot around on my mechanic's stool and check tire pressures inside the garage. (I'll use the one-degree-F equals-one-PSI rule to adjust the pressures to the outside temperature.)

I also buy my gasoline between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. That lets me avoid the scumbags that hang around gas stations/convenience stores. At that time of the morning, the scumbags are still sleeping off the previous night's meth', crack, or booze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180621 autoputzer's future garage.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	868399  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 10-16-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
LOL. At Optimum No Rinse.

Quote:
PRODUCT DETAIL. Before No Rinse Wash & Shine (ONR), ... there are no soapy surfactants to wash off into the storm drains ...
. The listed active ingredient is ~10% “methyl soyate” which is a soap, saponified soy derived methylated fat. The unlisted ingredient, for being hazard free, is a siloxane, likely polydimethylsiloxane, a tiny fraction. And of this magic formula, an ounce is added to a bucket of water at US$1/ounce.

I detail my X5 with 100% polydimethylsiloxane
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Here's my buddy Ray's garage shower curtain. He got it to seal off "his" two bays of the garage since the air conditioner has a hard time cooling down all three bays.

Also, here's Ray's Quick Jack in action. He crawls under there to change the oil. That looks scary to me. The last picture shows the Quick Jack halves pushed together and stored under the parked car.

Check out the clean design struts holding the garage door rails, instead of the typical "erector set" crap normally used. They were made my Liftmaster, but have been discontinued. I managed to find 13 of them, and have them stacked in my living room. The cats like to climb on the boxes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ray's garage shower curtain #1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	868407   Click image for larger version

Name:	ray's garage shower curtain #2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	868409   Click image for larger version

Name:	ray's garage shower curtain #3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	868411   Click image for larger version

Name:	ray's garage shower curtain #4.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	868413   Click image for larger version

Name:	ray's garage cinde's batmobile oil change.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	868415  

Name:	ray's garage tile floor.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	868417  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 10-16-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
I detail cars for a hobby. I wash in my driveway, but also use the self-service bays in the winter. I bring along two buckets; one with hot water and the other with cool (for rinsing my wash mitt). Works fine.
mine does not allow any bucket washing during peak times
Old 10-21-2019, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
that looks better than my entire f&**** house LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Here's my buddy Ray's garage shower curtain. He got it to seal off "his" two bays of the garage since the air conditioner has a hard time cooling down all three bays.

Also, here's Ray's Quick Jack in action. He crawls under there to change the oil. That looks scary to me. The last picture shows the Quick Jack halves pushed together and stored under the parked car.

Check out the clean design struts holding the garage door rails, instead of the typical "erector set" crap normally used. They were made my Liftmaster, but have been discontinued. I managed to find 13 of them, and have them stacked in my living room. The cats like to climb on the boxes.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search