E90 Rough and erratic Idle - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-18-2019, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto:
E90 Rough and erratic Idle

My 2006 325i E90 started idling rough, 105k+ miles so I decided to replace spark plugs and coils. It is still idling weird! I'm wondering if the computer needs to adjust to new parts?
The old plugs were in bad shape and the coils, I have no way to test them but they were originals. What is the best deal for diy diagnostic trouble shooting tool? Thanks if you have any ideas. I have a k+dcan plug and software (inpa) but haven't been able to successfully install it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Your car is most likely of sufficient age that rubber things that used to seal out air properly are now aged and leaking air. This causes the odd idling, as the system tries to read the lean mixture and ups the fuel delivery to enrichen and overcome the air leak at idle. When you step on throttle and up the RPM, the air leak becomes too miniscule to matter (compared to the main air flow) that the engine runs smoothly. I have run into that symptom on two previous 3Series (E30, E46) cars (owned from new, and attaining 12 or 13 years of age). The harder part is finding the culprit(s) for the air leaks; I just take it to a dealer. All the smog plumbing on cars makes it so complex to diagnose!

Last edited by wilt; 10-18-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto:
thanks Wilt, I know that nothing ages gracefully. This the most unreliable car I've ever owned! I love the car but keeping it running is too stressful. I have other cars that I can get in and drive and not wonder if I'll need to have it towed back. That's the reason I don't drive the bmw much but, like in any love / hate relationship, I keep hoping that this time it'll be ok.
I've ordered a new diagnostic scanner and I'm stubborn, I'll die trying to fix it. LOL / if not I'll just sell it! / I may have to take it to the dealership but that'll be a last resort.
If I didn't have other cars, I'd have no choice. / I think BMW is a great car for leasing and getting a new one after three years! my opinion.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
325i e90, code reader, diagnostic tool, idle, tune-up

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search