2008 BMW X3 Waterpump & thermostat 88k miles - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto:
2008 BMW X3 Waterpump & thermostat 88k miles

"Please help" I had my waterpump and thermostat changed last week and The thermostat light goes off and on when driving? Drive for for 10 minutes comes on then goes off, drive 5 minutes comes on etc.? It never did that before. Called my mechanic he said it will / should Eventually go off? I'm wondering if he bled it right? Also, the X3 has a 420/430 code catalytic converter.... what have you guys done to fix? Thanks for the input! Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 06:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Did the shop install aftermarket cooling system parts? Thatís strictly verboten! All modern BMW engines are made of an aluminum alloy. They do not tolerate overheating at all. You need to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
really............. I find that hard to believe. you mean owners have to buy OEM parts only ?
Personally for somethings I do granted, but that is personal preference
sorry can't see that at all,
but yes I would recommend you take it to a reliable indi and ALSO PLEASE report back

txs

gud luk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
The reason why I wrote that ďaftermarket cooling system parts are verbotenĒ is that there are numerous stories in which the owner installed or had a shop install non-OE/OEM cooling system parts and ended up with an overheated engine. Again, these engines are made of an aluminum alloy that does not tolerate overheating. Basically, the cylinder head warps, and thatís a very expensive repair as one or more of the block threads is usually stripped. Many folks revert to installing a used engine.

The price difference between junk from the local parts store and high quality parts from a vendor such as FCPEuro isnít that great. Btw, Iíve been wrenching on bimmers since 1974 when I picked up a 1971 2002. There is no such thing as a cheap BMW.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search