F3* lifetime coolant, 100k miles? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesberry View Post
Motor is an N55, original coolant. Just doing preventive maintenance. Ph test ? LOL!! The old coolant looked kind of crappy in the drain bucket.
Crappy, as in brown in color? If so there may already be corrosion of metal parts(engine block, thermostat, water pump) and head gasket and hoses ....

The BMW coolant 50/50 mix is greenish blue, mine turns light pale blue around 6 years/60k miles, that prompted me to test pH and boiling/freezing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 AM

This is a good video of 4 tests to do on coolant:

1. visual - at least make sure coolant does not turn brown
2. pH - above 7 is alkaline so the coolant is still not acidic and anti-corrosion components are still present
3. voltmeter - less than 0.3V while engine is idling(too high voltage implies electrolysis and metal particles in coolant)
4. hydrometer - This tests the freezing/boiling point of coolant. This is a good way to check coolant color too.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
What is your general location?
I'm in the suburbs North of Atlanta, GA.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmm View Post
I'm in the suburbs North of Atlanta, GA.
Check this out from Global Import BMW(all other Atlanta dealers have similar page):

https://www.atlantabmw.com/value-service.htm

F30 oil change prices are as follows:

$89.95* for 3 Series 4 cylinder models
$99.95** for 3 Series 6 cylinder models
$105.95Ü for 3 Series diesel models
Old 10-20-2019, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Check this out from Global Import BMW(all other Atlanta dealers have similar page):

$105.95***8224; for 3 Series diesel models
Thank you! With the link you sent I was able to find the same at the dealership near me. I plan to change my own oil after the warranty expires, but I figure paying the dealer (a semi-reasonable amount) for one change to get me to the expiration may help with goodwill if needed.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmm View Post
Thank you! With the link you sent I was able to find the same at the dealership near me.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:17 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '16 435i
Quote:

$105.95Ü for 3 Series diesel models
I think these are universal "value service" rates for the US. My dealership has the exact same prices here in the Missouri/Illinois border lands. I found the listing for mine through some obscure link on the BMW NA website which had same rates posted as well. I doubt I could find it again.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I think these are universal "value service" rates for the US. My dealership has the exact same prices here in the Missouri/Illinois border lands. I found the listing for mine through some obscure link on the BMW NA website which had same rates posted as well. I doubt I could find it again.
Yes the website is:
https://bmwusaservice.com/valueservice

Oil changes are same for virtually all dealers, so that probably is mandated by BMWNA. The availability and prices of other services vary among dealers.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:13 PM
Ziggy.

Mein Auto: 11 328xi N51
I usually recommend coolant around 100k miles at my dealer- that can change based on how it looks, usually we have been seeing it fade from a dark blue to a yellow/clear color once it starts getting yellow its time to replace it (usually 50-100k ish)
Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy328xi View Post
I usually recommend coolant around 100k miles at my dealer- that can change based on how it looks, usually we have been seeing it fade from a dark blue to a yellow/clear color once it starts getting yellow its time to replace it (usually 50-100k ish)
There is no document if dark blue color is visual cue for "good" coolant, but mine did fade to light pale blue, not yet yellow yet, which it was changed around 6 years/60k miles.

Getting yellow, as in light brown? BMW dark blue coolant should not turn fluorescent yellow ....
Old 10-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
F3* lifetime coolant, 100k miles?

Coolant is so easy to drain and fill. Why not just do it when you have free time. It doesnít cost much. Itís like an oil change just with longer life. Whether itís 20,000 miles or 50,000 miles itís not expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 10-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '16 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
Coolant is so easy to drain and fill. Why not just do it when you have free time. It doesnít cost much. Itís like an oil change just with longer life. Whether itís 20,000 miles or 50,000 miles itís not expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Where do you dispose of the old fluid? Will an autoparts store accept it like they do oil?
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-24-2019, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
Quote:
Where do you dispose of the old fluid? Will an autoparts store accept it like they do oil?
Our city has an Oil / Anti Freeze recycle tank for free disposal. They do charge for oil filter recycling.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:35 PM
Ziggy.

Mein Auto: 11 328xi N51
Quote:
There is no document if dark blue color is visual cue for "good" coolant, but mine did fade to light pale blue, not yet yellow yet, which it was changed around 6 years/60k miles.

Getting yellow, as in light brown? BMW dark blue coolant should not turn fluorescent yellow ....
id say its more of a light brown. deffinitly not florecent yellow. It still passes the coolant protection level when its yellow the 5 or so times i did it before i gave up testing it. I just know its not supposed to be yellow/clear/brown so i recommend based off color more than anything as its a common enough occurance at my dealer to see cars multiple times throughout the years and know service history.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:

A landfill or recycling area may have dump tanks for this stuff. I have one close to me in Charleston.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search