extended Warranty vs. preventative repair - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT
good experience with Rte 66 to date

hi all,

I have a 2012 550 GT (F07) with the notorious N63 engine. When my CPO expired in Apr 2018, I decided I needed to get an extended warranty. After research and these forums, I chose Rte 66 and so far I am very pleased.

My all in cost was about $3300 with tax and I opted for 7 years/up to 120k miles (I had roughly 50k miles at the time). Turbos were included. Leaking seals/gaskets were included (a big must on extended warranties IMO). I opted for the Hi tech electronic add on for another $150 (no brainer) to cover NAV, etc...

If you're unfamiliar with the N63 V8 engine, there was a class action lawsuit that settled mid 2018. My car was requiring way too much oil between dedicated oil changes but that was considered "normal" by BMW before the lawsuit settled. Before the settlement, my BMW SA said there was a small amount of oil leaking from the oil pan and that the oil pan gaskets should be replaced. This was roughly $2020 and covered by Rte 66. It didn't fix the issue.
After the settlement they were able to address the valve stem seals ($4000 but covered under the class action and this fixed the issue). Rte 66 also has covered both rear air springs which failed for $1080 and the driver's door actuator for $680. They have always been reasonable about paying and at this point my BMW SA just goes directly to them.

So 1.5 years in and it's already paid for itself and I have 5.5 years and another 65k in mileage covered. And.... to top it off, this can be transferred to a buyer if they join a credit union and transfer the policy within a time window upon sale (2-4 weeks I believe).

But.... the policy seems to change each year based on what I can tell. Different cars get excluded, etc... So you need to pay attention to what is currently being offered. Lastly, during the process of buying the Rte 66 warranty I noticed that different financial institutions offer slightly different versions of the product and at different prices. PenFed seems to be a big name for this but they did not offer the Hi tech package nor did they offer longer than 5 years. I chose the Cleveland Firefighters Credit Union as an alternative which did offer those things.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose. At the very least it's good peace of mind to have your very expensive vehicle covered!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xi, 2016 R1200RT
Thanks for the report. Good to know R66 paid dealer rates/parts and didn't make you go to a cheap indy or scrounge for used parts from a junk yard...
Old 10-17-2019, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5 4.8 L
Good for you and R66. I have had two extended warranties on my X5. The first worked just like your description. I actually experienced all that I described in my advice on the second one. I bought the warranty from the same credit union who had switched insurance companies. When I complained to them, they investigated. After 3 months without the car and lots of back and forth fighting, the extended warranty company made an exception and wrote me a letter noting the exception.

I stand by exactly what I said. Read and understand the fine print in the warranty agreement. It also helps if you buy the policy from an organization with enough warranty sales to have leverage with the warranty company. Look up complaints on the company on the internet. By the way, many dealer service reps will simply tell you the dollar amount the insurance company has agreed to pay and you owe the difference. They do not explain the warranty company is paying for a used or after market part and you are paying the difference.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 528
So I dropped of the car for the repair. Interesting: he had two cars in the shop, one timing chain broke and punctured the side of the motor, the other had a screaming timing chain. for the ruined motor 13k total for a new crated motor from BMW.

Nov 1st is the next meeting for the class action suit dealing with this issue. Mechanic felt positive that I'll get my money back.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search