E90 radio failure - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-31-2017, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw e90
E90 radio failure

Help. My BMW e90 2009 professional radio has completely died. No screen display & no sounds. I have checked all fuses and all fine. Had it in 3 garages and can't fix it. My friends child pressed every button in my car unbeknown to me and when I got back in the car this had happened. Suspected head unit & amp blown. Any ideas before I shell out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2017, 04:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulac1985 View Post
Help. My BMW e90 2009 professional radio has completely died. No screen display & no sounds. I have checked all fuses and all fine. Had it in 3 garages and can't fix it. My friends child pressed every button in my car unbeknown to me and when I got back in the car this had happened. Suspected head unit & amp blown. Any ideas before I shell out
Is "Destructo" your ex-friend's child, OR your friend's late child?

Did you leave the ignition on when you got out (with child in car) or leave the remote key in the slot? If the radio unit was NOT powered while you were out of the car, it could NOT have been "electrically" damaged "while you were out," but buttons could have been physically damaged. Did the little darling make a deposit of a few pence in the CD slot? Something like that COULD have caused an electrical short when the unit was later powered-up.

When did you notice a problem with the radio? Immediately after getting back in the car, later that day, etc.?

Did any of the garages actually remove the radio & test it, or test for power to the radio (head unit)? It would be helpful to have an outline of exactly what tests they performed.

The head unit and amp (if you have a separate amp) are on separate circuits. Radio is F14 (10A fuse) and amplifier is F15 (20A), both fuses located on the JB (Junction Box) behind the glovebox.

Which radio installation do you have -- base radio, Hi-Fi, or Logic 7? See your installed options per the online decoder (just enter your VIN):
https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/online

Most likely scenario based upon what you have described (assuming remote was OUT of slot) is physical damage to the on/off button of the radio, presuming fuse is intact and you have power to the head unit.

George
Old 07-31-2017, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw e90
Said child and said friend are now no longer friends as he has refused to sort/pay for the damage. The key fob was in my pocket so not in the car. He admitted that he has pressed every button including start/stop. This all under the supervision of his father! The computer has been plugged in but no faults detected. My cd ejects and takes back in and is lit up so power still going to it but no radio display and no sounds. So no radio, cd, handsfree, dong/warning sounds and no reversing sensors. I realised straight away when my radio was off and wouldn't switch on. All fuses tested with fuse tester, battery disconnected & reconnected and tried to reset but nothing. My dad has had the radio out and put it back in. It's driving me mad.

Last edited by Paulac1985; 07-31-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E90
Any update on this ? I know it's been a while since you had this issue just wanted to know if you managed to fix it as I have same problem now and cant find any useful info online to see if I can fix it myself or should I just try to find some decent garage. In my case radio and audio died without any assistance. Just parked my car and few hours later no audio and radio wont turn on and as per what you have described, I have 100% same problem. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:40 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Basics with Radio or Idrives in these cars
Make sure you have a strong battery as the IBS
system can cut power to devices it does not deem
necessary so as to preserve the battery for the next start..
Always make sure you have a strong battery before doing
any diagnosis on these cars

Always check the fuses there is an additional fuse behind
the idrive or pro radio that is not indicated on the fuse charts.

If you have no sound but the Radio or Idrive display works
as normal a common problem is
water on the amplifier or bad most bus modules that run
the bluetooth phone , satellite radio or DAB.

If you can measure 12 volts at the Radio or Idrive connector and it does not
power up then the radio or idrive is bad.

To try to rule out the IBS problem put a long slow charge on the battery.
Make sure battery voltage is more than 12.4 volts.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-27-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto:
I think, I am having same type of issue
Old 03-28-2019, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto:
Same issue

I have the same issue. Just went into the store and when I got into the car again the stereo wouldn't turn on.

I've checked the fuses, including the one on the back of the radio and I've disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Buttons on the radiolight up and I can hear the motor from the cd-player if I press eject. What are my options here? Is the headunit broken maybe?

Also I can't hear the warning beep for my seatbelt and such. I will check the battery voltage tomorrow but the battery is only a year old so i don't think thats the problem.

Last edited by gusfri; 03-28-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:00 PM

Before you guy claim to have the same problem with the description
my radio is broke.
You need to provide info on what Head Unit type you have(idrive or pro radio)
What sound system you have (they are not the same)base= no amp
Hi F amp and tweeter but no center dash channel
Top Hi Fi or L7 (center dash channel + eq controls in head unit)
What year car you have.
And actual descriptive problems.
Like it lights up but no sound.
Noise all the time.
If doesn't even light up .
Old 03-28-2019, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto:
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Before you guy claim to have the same problem with the description
my radio is broke.
You need to provide info on what Head Unit type you have(idrive or pro radio)
What sound system you have (they are not the same)base= no amp
Hi F amp and tweeter but no center dash channel
Top Hi Fi or L7 (center dash channel + eq controls in head unit)
What year car you have.
And actual descriptive problems.
Like it lights up but no sound.
Noise all the time.
If doesn't even light up .
Yeah sorry 'bout that.
I have the professional headunit with the base speakers, so no amp or iDrive. My car is a 2009 and I get no sound at all, not even warning sounds. The buttons on my headunit light up but the display doesn't. If I press the eject button I can hear the stereo trying to eject a CD (but I don't have a disc in it so there's nothing to eject). It seems like it's getting power but it doesn't turn on and I get no sound at all through the speakers.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:15 PM

The fact that is has some light on the display and you can here the disk unit moving
probably means you have power.
Based on those symptoms I would say your head unit is bad.
You can get them on Ebay pretty cheap but they usually have to
be programmed to the options on your car.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-28-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfri View Post
Yeah sorry 'bout that.
I have the professional headunit with the base speakers, so no amp or iDrive. My car is a 2009 and I get no sound at all, not even warning sounds. The buttons on my headunit light up but the display doesn't. If I press the eject button I can hear the stereo trying to eject a CD (but I don't have a disc in it so there's nothing to eject). It seems like it's getting power but it doesn't turn on and I get no sound at all through the speakers.
Hi gusfri,

Did you solve the problem?

My issue is the same:
2009 e90, still on original battery.
Radio unit doesn't turn on (no light on the screen, no response to any buttons, no sound, no warning beeps (seat belt, parking sensors, etc).
CD ejection site can be heard when connecting the CANBUS or pressing the eject button.
Unplugged the IBS blue plug situated near the battery negative pole, but still doesn't work.
Start-n-Stop also doesn't work, but it stopped working 1 year before the radio stopped working.

Thanks

Last edited by raposapt; 10-21-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi,
Did you solve your problem?

Last edited by raposapt; 10-21-2019 at 06:41 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search