New owner to a 2005 X5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
New owner to a 2005 X5

Itís been a long 5 years since I last owned a Bimmer but Iíll be back in the club on Friday.

Iím picking up a Ď05 3.0i. Admittedly I have a ton to catch up on since this deal is being thrown into my lap.

The car has some issues and to be honest I donít know all of them but would love to hear what to look for an aging X5. I know the 3.0s have considerably less issues to look out for than V8s. Iím hoping the trans and transfer case have much longer life expectancies behind the 3.0.

How can you tell if your X is sport? Or if it has air suspension?

Iíve been under it, it seems to have standard springs and shocks.

Can you swap out the radio for a factory nav unit?

Itís a rust free Texas/California car but has 220k+

I believe the sunroof drains are clogged, driver door handle broken, leaks oil and recently started to run rough and has been parked for a month or so.

Iím purchasing a scan tool tomorrow as well as a Bentley, so I can have it when I go pick it up. But Iím thinking that this car is worth sticking some money into as itís really in nice shape. It was owned by independent BMW Garage ownersí wife, so Iím not worried about not having the receipts of service that is typically a big selling point.

I hope some of guys have experience racking on the miles of these cars to kinda help me expect some of the issues I might have this Ol girl and whether itíll be worth it.

P.S. itís a second car for me, that I hope get ironed out and turned into a daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh429er View Post
Itís been a long 5 years since I last owned a Bimmer but Iíll be back in the club on Friday.

Iím picking up a Ď05 3.0i. Admittedly I have a ton to catch up on since this deal is being thrown into my lap.

The car has some issues and to be honest I donít know all of them but would love to hear what to look for an aging X5. I know the 3.0s have considerably less issues to look out for than V8s. Iím hoping the trans and transfer case have much longer life expectancies behind the 3.0.

How can you tell if your X is sport? Or if it has air suspension?

Iíve been under it, it seems to have standard springs and shocks.

Can you swap out the radio for a factory nav unit?

Itís a rust free Texas/California car but has 220k+

I believe the sunroof drains are clogged, driver door handle broken, leaks oil and recently started to run rough and has been parked for a month or so.

Iím purchasing a scan tool tomorrow as well as a Bentley, so I can have it when I go pick it up. But Iím thinking that this car is worth sticking some money into as itís really in nice shape. It was owned by independent BMW Garage ownersí wife, so Iím not worried about not having the receipts of service that is typically a big selling point.

I hope some of guys have experience racking on the miles of these cars to kinda help me expect some of the issues I might have this Ol girl and whether itíll be worth it.

P.S. itís a second car for me, that I hope get ironed out and turned into a daily.

Welcome! I have an '06 with 242,000 miles. I've put a fair amount of money into it over the last 80,000 miles. It's my daily. Given it belonged to a BMW mechanic it probably isn't going to need much, unless it's like the cobblers children going shoeless. A scan tool and a Bentley is the right course. I wouldn't waste the money or time trying to put factory nav into it. There are a ton of after market units that aren't very expensive and have way more features than the factory nav. If you really want one, I just pulled my factory nav head unit and rear nav unit. The head unit has a new screen. the biggest issue you are going to face trying to retrofit a factory unit is the lack of GPS antenna. The after market units come with a gps antenna.

Good luck. Use this forum. There's tons of good info here. You should also check out xoutpost.com.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
Thanks for the reply, I was unaware of the gps antenna but makes sense. I found a device on google that can make any screen apple car play provided it has the right connections in the back.

My intention was to never use the factory nav as intended as I donít wanna deal with updating it. But more so that it looks factory in dash.

Just an idea any way.

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh429er View Post
Thanks for the reply, I was unaware of the gps antenna but makes sense. I found a device on google that can make any screen apple car play provided it has the right connections in the back.

My intention was to never use the factory nav as intended as I donít wanna deal with updating it. But more so that it looks factory in dash.

Just an idea any way.

This looks very factory and I'm loving it. https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimed...mw-x5-e53.html

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search