F11 520d 2011 coolant bleeding procedure - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 520d m sport
F11 520d 2011 coolant bleeding procedure

Gents,

After some advice please..

does the cooling system on the f11 N47N have to be bled by vacuum as per the online TIS or can the E90 procedure or alternative be used to bleed the system?

does the car really need to connect it to a battery charger or can you do it without one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Ive run about 4 bleeding procedures w/o using a spare battery. I did this when I changed out my water pump and tstat. You should follow the proper bleeding procedure. Ony m F10 I could not locate the "vent" screw. Needless to say, the procedure worked.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535i xDrive
Isn't the vacuum portion just for checking leaks?
I hooked my battery up to a battery tender then proceeded with the bleeding procedures on my F10, as I didn't have a "vent" screw either. Power on, press and hold the gas pedal for about 10 seconds then you'll hear the pump kick on... I think it runs for about 10 minutes... I had to run it about 3-4 times when I flushed my system, re-filling to the fill line after each procedure until I had no volume loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: '11 F10 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by npscott4 View Post
Isn't the vacuum portion just for checking leaks?
I hooked my battery up to a battery tender then proceeded with the bleeding procedures on my F10, as I didn't have a "vent" screw either. Power on, press and hold the gas pedal for about 10 seconds then you'll hear the pump kick on... I think it runs for about 10 minutes... I had to run it about 3-4 times when I flushed my system, re-filling to the fill line after each procedure until I had no volume loss.
When I was researching this a while back I found the official procedure is the vacuum set up is for fill/bleed, not just leak check, from what I could see. This discouraged me enough to not DIY the first time. I may still have the PDF around.

I've done E39 and E90 and the official process has no fill-under-vacuum instruction as part of the standard fill procedure.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 520d m sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly View Post
When I was researching this a while back I found the official procedure is the vacuum set up is for fill/bleed, not just leak check, from what I could see. This discouraged me enough to not DIY the first time. I may still have the PDF around.

I've done E39 and E90 and the official process has no fill-under-vacuum instruction as part of the standard fill procedure.

Thatís what is putting me off, I have a small drop/leak on the hose that goes from the radiator Left Hand Side To The oil cooler.

Iíve bought the replacement hose and coolant/distilled water, confident I can change it but not confident on the bleed procedure as the Online TIS shows the f10/f11 To Be Filled By vacuum.

So is it fine to use the E90 method as above or could I use this method in the picture attached?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535i xDrive
Here is the procedure I followed when bleeding my coolant system. Note that I simply disconnected one of the coolant hoses from the thermostat, so it was not a complete flush. However, I figured if I diluted what remained with fresh I'd be better off... anyway:

https://blog.bavauto.com/13140/bmw-c...bleeder-screw/

I too saw the procedure for the vacuum bleeding and kept googling until I found an answer I agreed with lol.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F11 525d
This only works with engines that have a electric water pump. I've not found a procedure, other then the vacuum, that works on engines without the electric pump.

I've tried other procedures it but ended up having air trapped in the heater unit. And a tipping water sound can be heard when the unit gets warm water from aux heater. A running engine simply makes to much noise to hear this.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 10-15-2019, 11:42 AM
CALS

Mein Auto: e60, e70, f10
When running the self-bleeding procedure on an F10, is the coolant reservoir cap closed? Or should be left open? (I do not see a bleed screw.....) - how the air will be released?
Old 10-15-2019, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cals View Post
When running the self-bleeding procedure on an F10, is the coolant reservoir cap closed? Or should be left open? (I do not see a bleed screw.....) - how the air will be released?
It's done with the expansion tank cap off. The bleeder screws will vary with engine size & perhaps other variables.

Complete instructions can be found here: https://www.newtis.info/

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search