Floor jack rubber pads?? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Floor jack rubber pads??

I'm still in the process of gathering all the tools to work on my rotors and brake calipers.
I got some Esco jack stands, I have the BMW-fitting aluminum jack pad adapters, and per recommendation for some of the good folks here got a 3-ton Harbor Freight Pittsburgh car jack.
All good, but now I find that the floor jack comes without a rubber pad. At the store I only got blank stares (as in why would anyone need that for their truck??).

The rubber pads from the Esco stands don't fit. Neither does the 5" wide rubber pad I just received form Amazon (too big). Any recommendations where to fine one that would fit?

I don't want to lift the car at the central jack points or the differential without a rubber pad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2018, 06:30 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Get BMW jack pads, they are essential to distribute spread the stress and avoid metal-to -metal point to point contact.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Get BMW jack pads, they are essential to distribute spread the stress and avoid metal-to -metal point to point contact.
Not sure what you mean by that or if my question isn't clear enough.
I already have the jack pads that fit into the little plastic recepticles on the side of the car.
I'm looking for a rubber pad that would fit on my floor jack (Harbor Freight 3 ton) to lift up the car front center and back center to put it on jack stands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
Bock of wood will do nicely too.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Bimmerfest
Old 08-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Indeed, I misunderstood. Yes, a block of soft wood should do fine, as big as is convenient but bigger than the jack's pad..

My VW had the jack points marked but they were only a triple thickness standing seam. I cut an undersized slot in a soft pine 2x4 to prevent bending the seam jack point.

The point is that the metal of the jack is harder and stiffer than the metal of the frame and any unevenness of the frame will bend to conform to the jack because all of the stress, pounds per square-inch is concentrated in a tiny area - pounds lifted DIVIDED by the area. That's why a knife edge works to cut, your hand force DIVIDED by the contact area of the sharp edge.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
I purchased the HF Daytona ( yellow) jack a while back.. I believe it came with a rubber lift point...
Old 08-20-2018, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
I purchased the HF Daytona ( yellow) jack a while back.. I believe it came with a rubber lift point...
It does. Though the ones in the store were almost square so I wasn't sure if the BMW style adapters would fit also.

I may just go and return it and get the Craftsman from Home Depot.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 F30 340ix 6mt
I'm a fan of the "block of wood" pad.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
I'm a fan of the "block of wood" pad.
Yikes. No. I could go on a rant now about American engineering and how all tools seem to be cheap Chinese crap now.

I won't give up though. Either I find a 4.5" rubber pad that fits the Harbor Freight or I'll have to go shell out more money on a real jack.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
hockey puck works well, too...cut into a block or cut out like the many jack pad adapters sold out there.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: '09 E90 328, '17 F48 X1 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Yikes. No. I could go on a rant now about American engineering and how all tools seem to be cheap Chinese crap now.

I won't give up though. Either I find a 4.5" rubber pad that fits the Harbor Freight or I'll have to go shell out more money on a real jack.
There are a ton of jack pads out there...molded from cheapo rubber in China and smell of sulfur curing agent for days..leave em out side...work fine...here are some under 3 inches in diameter...don't worry about them being smaller than your jack saddle...once the car weight comes on em they lock down on the saddle face just fine!
Old 10-05-2019, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto:
It should always be, a hard blade on soft Rubber, if it comes with the matter of floor mats. I remembered a few days ago, at our garage, basement, we tried installing the rubber mats, instead of tiles, but, after a few months, the rubber mats started getting cuts in between. After consulting with one of the most renowned flooring installers from the zothex flooring, they suggested having a Tile flooring or carpet flooring over there. The suggestions given by them are so valuable that we proceeded further to have a hardwood floor in the garage. Likewise, you can also take some helpful hints from such experts.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Unless you want something really fancy... i have cut up some bath mats into a few round pieces for car jacks.. also for taking pins of of gun receivers. Work great. Not slippery .
Old 10-15-2019, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Maybe it's just me but I feel like your WAY over thinking this whole thing... And I have the same jack.. the block of 2x4 works like a champ...and protects my car from hard metal to metal contact.

But if you gotta have a specific kind of mat .. I guess more power to you.. seems like Overkill just to jack your car up once every 6-12 months...if that.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search