AC blowing hot air to the feet? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto:
AC blowing hot air to the feet?

Hi, have anyone of you guys have the same problem where the upper vents blowing cold air while hot air is being blown at the footwell area? I set them in auto and got this problem, the only way to turn the heat to the feet off is to manually allow air blown to the only upper vents. I live in the area where summer all year long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 M3
I have seen similar issues and it was always an actuator or a sensor failure. A couple of times it was the computer. The climate control has diagnostics capability but you have to have the right tool to talk to it. A parts store obd2 reader won’t work it will have to be bmw specific tool. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2018, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Had this exact issue. Driver side floor blowing hit air and cold air everywhere else, turned out to be the heater control valve in the engine bay near the driver side wheel well, One of the values was either stuck open or closed, cant remember

Here is the link from when i had my issue - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...ight=denied310

product - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heater-Cont...75.c100623.m-1

Last edited by denied310; 10-25-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmwiv View Post
I have seen similar issues and it was always an actuator or a sensor failure. A couple of times it was the computer. The climate control has diagnostics capability but you have to have the right tool to talk to it. A parts store obd2 reader won’t work it will have to be bmw specific tool. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your reply, yes I was suspecting it to be an actuator part the went off, I got a Carly scan not sure how many or correctly codes pulled were directly related, afaik I got one at the AC, 801222 Compressor shutdown due to lack of DME release, I believe this is not relavant, might be due to ignition on without starting the car or some sort, they can be easilly cleared off. Hopefully nothing bad.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by denied310 View Post
Had this exact issue. Driver side floor blowing hit air and cold air everywhere else, turned out to be the heater control valve in the engine bay near the driver side wheel well, One of the values was either stuck open or closed, cant remember

Here is the link from when i had my issue - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...ight=denied310

Thanks for the reply, to be honest, I got my f10 used, I thought it is a function where the warm all blow out from the bottom to kind of create the hot cold circulation. Until the point my wife and me realize this is not right, our feet is burning.

I ever heard of "if you turn the temperature anything higher than 70 degree you will be having warm air out at the bottom, obviously the credibility of this piece of information is very doubtful.

Its not too expensive of a part, I will just order and swap them out and see if they got better.

Again, thanks.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by denied310 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockslow View Post
Thanks for the reply, to be honest, I got my f10 used, I thought it is a function where the warm all blow out from the bottom to kind of create the hot cold circulation. Until the point my wife and me realize this is not right, our feet is burning.

I ever heard of "if you turn the temperature anything higher than 70 degree you will be having warm air out at the bottom, obviously the credibility of this piece of information is very doubtful.

Its not too expensive of a part, I will just order and swap them out and see if they got better.

Again, thanks.
Common failure to cars (not just BMW) that use coolant flow and not blend doors to achieve duel-zone climate control.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 10-26-2018, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: '11 F10 535xi
Just be absolutely sure that you aren't observing intended operation, because BMW has equipped with a "stratified" HVAC system for decades (and I love it).

Forums are full of posts from people with hot air blasting from their feet when what they've done is set the blend wheel all the way to blue (cold) and turn on the AC. The only place the HVAC can mix in heat in that condition is from the foot wells, and very often it's blasting trying to achieve whatever temperature the owners have set.

You don't have a location set so I have no idea what your weather is like right now but, before concluding you have a malfunction:

- set the HVAC for something like 22C/74F on both sides
- hit the AUTO button
- set the fan intensity mid-way
- set the blend wheel(s) between the front vents to the middle of the range. If you have 4 zone climate control do the same in the rear
- drive for 15 minutes+
- observe

It would be expected behaviour unless it's HOT outside to have COOL air from the face vents and WARM (not scalding hot) air from the foot wells and window defrosters.

If you have scalding hot air at your feet or the cabin is overheating, then you have a problem requiring repair.

The one on the left with the finger on it is more like how it should appear

Last edited by surly; 10-26-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Ditto "surly's" comments above. Make sure it isn't a "setting" issue. As he stated, many BMW owners not familiar with the stratified air dial feature and dash vent louver placement can cause the AUTO IHKA to blow hot air from the floor vents.

There is a small sampling fan built into the IHKA control panel that draws the cabin's air into the IHKA...so if you have really cold air blowing from the dash vent and it is blowing downward or getting sucked into the IHKA...in order to keep the cabin at the temp selected...its going to think it needs to regulate by adding warmer air...which will be sent to the feet and defrost vents if the dash vent's stratified air dial is set to the extreme BLUE (cold) setting:

{#17 is the vent location where the little sampling fan is located that sucks in cabin air}

{#4 in pic below is the sampling fan behind the vent (#17) in pic above}

See the warning from as far back as the e39 5 series where there were enough complaints about a similar issue as the OP's...that BMW issued the info below as to a solution for the problem:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heated%20Footwell%20Stratification%20E39%20IHKA%20Complaint.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	825341  
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Old 10-09-2019, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto:
hey guys i was reading through this thread and would love anyone's opinion!? im kind of in the same predicament and looking to purchase a new control valve.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooling-Sys...SwU91aUxE0&enc
Old 10-15-2019, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 535i
Hey Sasha, have you fixed your issue? I'm having the same problem after changing thermostat and flushing coolant. Drivers side is working just fine, however, passengers is blowing cold to feet and windshield.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto:
hey! no i haven't actually, i just recently took it to the mechanics and im waiting for a response. have you?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search