Bavsound review - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
I've never heard of speakers "warming up" or "breaking in"; I've been involved in professional audio (not car sound systems) for a couple decades.

One of the rationales for a bunch of speakers is that no individual driver needs to be running super hard to deliver the same sound pressure level to the target.
This assumes your system is designed such that the individual drivers work together, and emulate to the greatest extent possible a single driver.
In a rectangular-ish space, this means correctly timed (and positioned) delay cabinets, elimination of potential "comb filter" effects and so forth.

I have no experience designing a "sound stage" in an automobile, nor do I have any inclination to acquire that experience.
I'm willing to assume someone somewhere gave some thought to speaker positioning, and I'm not talking about some jacknut at the local audio shop who thinks 50 speakers in a honda civic is actually a thing.

With that being said, subs are better big; moving an enormous volume of air such that your intestines are displaced requires one or more large drivers.
A large driver requires a large magnet, and a large magnet requires some get-up-and-go from the amp.
Sub placement, despite the fact that low frequency audio is largely non-directional, can also be significant.

The factory (Hi-Fi Professional) system in my 328 is satisfactory.
Not mind-blowing by any stretch; the factory system in my '05 Range Rover was significantly "better", but that's clearly not an apples-to-apples comparison.
I wouldn't mind a system that could deliver distortion-free audio at a higher spl than my current system, and have "bookmarked" this thread for future consideration.

An often-repeated line from several audio guys I know:
"No highs, no lows, it must be Bose."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 09:28 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim328 View Post
I've never heard of speakers "warming up" or "breaking in"; I've been involved in professional audio (not car sound systems) for a couple decades.
I read this about the Bavsound speakers on numerous different forums and YouTube videos. All I can say is that personally, I've absolutely experienced it. I've had a lot of car audio in my driving days, and I've also never had a situation where speakers needed this degree of "breaking in". I have, however, experienced it with subwoofers.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
When you talk about these BMW stereo systems you have to take
into account there are three different systems.
The base no amp no tweeters head unit power only.
Hi Fi a 6 channel amp with weak output achieved
only by using 2 ohms speakers and a 10 percent distortion rating
at the stated power.
top Hi fi 9 channel amp 13 or 11 speakers depending on year and
chassis . Better speakers and higher output 9 channel amp but
still power output is rated at 10 percent distortion.

The single biggest difference you can make to the first two systems
is adding a decent amp.

The speakers BSW puts out are 2 and 4 ohm I think they are suppose
to match the type with what you have in the car.

Bose = better sound by marketing

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=amplifiers

Last edited by ctuna; 07-11-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: '11 328i
Yukoner: Awesome that you're pleased with BAVsound speakers! Be mindful they are likely low impedance when you get around to swapping amp.

ctuna: right on.

Jim328: Everyone has their own opinion on SQ. I thought the "HiFi" in my e90 was awful.
Agree you gotta have the right size speaker to efficiently get the right frequencies....Assuming a tweeter in the sail, I think the challenge in the e90 is filling the frequency gap between the 4" in the door and the 8" in the floor, while still going low enough overall, and keeping balance. It's amazing how much of an improvement an XD600/6 makes with the factory drivers, IMO. I probably should have stopped there!
Old 07-11-2019, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328xi
I highly recommend the underseat subwoofers too. They have a great 4 year "no questions asked" warranty. One of mine went out after about a year and they sent be a new one for free. Also, Bavsound just came out with an amplifier which is supposed to be "plug and play". However, at almost a grand, it's too rich for my blood.

Koni Special Active shocks and struts
Full Bavsound Speaker& Sub Upgrade
PIAA Extreme White H7
LUX LED Angel Eyes
Black Powdercoat 17" OEM Wheels
Bridgestone Pole Position (summer) Blizzaks (winter)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:17 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11e90Ride View Post
Yukoner: Awesome that you're pleased with BAVsound speakers! Be mindful they are likely low impedance when you get around to swapping amp
Yes, 2ohm speakers. I'll be going with the Bavsound amp when I end up swapping it out (I started with Bavsound, might as well keep going with them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldusseau39 View Post
I highly recommend the underseat subwoofers too. They have a great 4 year "no questions asked" warranty. One of mine went out after about a year and they sent be a new one for free. Also, Bavsound just came out with an amplifier which is supposed to be "plug and play". However, at almost a grand, it's too rich for my blood.
I've been reading great things on the subwoofers as well. Actually, it's hard to find anything negative about Bavsound, except what you just touched on, which is the price. I do agree, their pricing is a bit higher than I'd prefer. I'll end up buying their amp eventually (and not looking at my credit card statement afterwards), but it'll be costing me ~$1,300.00 because of the USD exchange rate

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
The bavsound amp is a rebadged Helix/Fisher Bmw 7 .
The Bimmertech amp is a rebadged Helix/Fisher 86dsp
They both come with a tune and some mounting hardware
and harness I believe.

Biggest gripe about bavsound is no published power ratings
and price.

Last edited by ctuna; 07-11-2019 at 09:45 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search