Lithium-ion Electric Vehicle battery - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:43 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Lithium-ion Electric Vehicle battery

We just received shipped to us an 11.6 AH 48 VDC Samsung lithium-ion 10# battery for the electric assist trike that we are assembling for Milady Wife. US$ 700.

Just imagine what an electric automobile battery will cost.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 05:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
Doug, exactly why electric car and hybrid mfgrs give a reasonable life warranty on their batteries...cost to replace packs in some vehicles is 4 and 5 digits depending on amp hrs. Sort or like sail boats, wind is free....but to replace the sails on a modern 36 boat is 4 digits....free power? Dunno? Jim

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 06-18-2019, 05:49 AM
Nuclear engineer

No power is in no way free!

The unspoken lie of solar power, beyond the cost of PV, is the Solar Constant is only 1300 watts per square meter.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 18 X5M, retired 640i vert
Well put and to the point
Old 06-20-2019, 06:48 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post

The unspoken lie of solar power, beyond the cost of PV, is the Solar Constant is only 1300 watts per square meter.
Lie?

Lol

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Lie? Lol
Yeah, the unspoken truth is that the Solar Constant is only 1300 watts. Thanks for calling my attention to my misspeak.

We got home yesterday from the bike shop across the state that built the electric assist for her trike. It goes like stink now. The shop guy did 30 MPH on its brief test ride. She zoomed up the nearby hill that has me in low gear and gasping for breath.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post

Is 1kW-ish per square meter pretty good? If there is space for 10kWh system it will easily supply most household usage provided it is clear sky around our locales.

But of course if cold fusion and/or Arc reactor is available, then there will be no need for batteries nor PV!

Last edited by namelessman; 06-20-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:16 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
My flux capacitor beats them all. Best performing ride I've had since the guys in black helicopters stole my Fish carburetor.

2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 06-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I think the great lie will be that if we want 100% of power to be delivered by solar, 1% of all land mass must be covered by panels....

As if anyone is saying (1) 100% of power needs to be solar and (2) other technologies (wind, gas, nuclear, etc) can be used as well.

But looking to add a few panels this year and eitehr 2 power walls or a propane generator

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I think the great lie will be that if we want 100% of power to be delivered by solar, 1% of all land mass must be covered by panels....

As if anyone is saying (1) 100% of power needs to be solar and (2) other technologies (wind, gas, nuclear, etc) can be used as well.

But looking to add a few panels this year and eitehr 2 power walls or a propane generator
The worldwide energy consumption is roughly 25000TWh in 2017.

https://yearbook.enerdata.net/electr...tion-data.html

The earth should have more than 500 million sq-km of land mass, so 1% of that is 5 million sq-km.

At 1kW/sq-meter, or 1GW/sq-km, 5 million sq-km should produce 5000TWh of solar energy in an hour assuming 100% efficiency.

Solar panels currently is around 20% efficiency, but let's say there is 5 hours of sunshine a day, so 1% of landmass can still produce around 5000TWh a day.

But to sustain the current 25000TWh consumption, 5% of landmass is needed for PV on a sunny day, let alone winter and cloudy days.

Last edited by namelessman; 06-21-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

My only point is that this becomes a limit when you say "solar must provide all".

It doesnt.

Now, if we could place arrays in orbit- provide shading agaisnt solar heat gain AND beam energy down and around the planet...THEN you have something.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search