Ignition switch / X5 4.6 2003 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-15-2019, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: Alfa Romeo 164s, 545i,
Ignition switch / X5 4.6 2003

Ignition Switch, Which one to buy? The 9 points or the 11 points. Both Febi and Genuine as well as some other company's offer the ignition switch with the same # 6132-690-1962 with 9 posts/points or 11 posts/points. Whats the advantage or disadvantage in either. I have a 2003 x5 4.6 with a tremendous amount of electrical gremlins so I will change out the ignition switch first and see if it clears most if not all of my problems. ie, Trans fail safe, alarm sounds off when depressing the key fob while popping up the locks, Level sensor warning lights comes on, Hot water temperature gauge needle moves to the hot position. Transmission temperature gauge moves to hot position. This happens while driving 3.3 miles and then the odometer counts no higher. So with all these issues I figured to change the ignition switch but Im finding different ignition switches with 9 points or 11 points. which one do I buy????

thanks in advance

Alvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: Alfa Romeo 164s, 545i,
Update,

I purchased the 11 pin ignition switch and installed it. The 2 additional pins do nothing. And if you look at the plug itself only 8 pins have actual contact so essentially there are only 8 electrical connections. Needless to say I installed the 11 pin and it didnt work. so I ordered another one and a 9 pin showed up. I installed that one and that too didnt work. So I ordered a third one and noticed that when you look down into the switch there is a cavity so to speak. A small hole where on the others there was a plastic pointed pin in the same spot as where the hole is. I installed the 9 pin ignition switch with the hole, turned the key and the power was restored and started the X5. All three had the same part # 61326901962. No power was sent to the cluster when key was turned using the ignition switch with the plastic pin in the middle. But as soon as I instaleed the ignition switch without the plastic pin, power was restored and the engine fired right up. And guess what?????? I still have the same symptoms as with the original switch. Trans Fail safe mode, Alarm sounds when you open the locks with the key fob, Water Temperature gauges and Oil Temperature gauges suddenly jump in to the red.... Im beginning to think its the water cooled alternator and the diodes, how ever I replaced it with a brand new one 6 months ago.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search