Used M4 Questions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Used M4 Questions

I just bought a 2016 M4 Convertible from a dealer. I have two questions I'm hoping the group can help me with. It has an aftermarket exhaust with blue titanium tips. It's super loud. I'm not sure how to identify what it is or whether or not it's offering anything other and acoustic/aesthetic compliments vs performance. Also, when I start the car, the instrument cluster displays GTS before disappearing. Obviously it's not a GTS. Is this standard? Does this mean the car has been tuned? Any easy way to find out? The car drives like a dream, so this is in no way a complaint. I'm just really curious about every little detail. I've included a couple of pictures although I'm not sure they help much. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C609C1EC-3EAB-40D4-9108-39C6BF9AE1CD_1568850110704.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	865123   Click image for larger version

Name:	B4EDB8AF-F2E0-43B5-8FA1-130B067F5F4D_1568850128064.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	865125   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DEAADA0-D35F-4098-A00F-357F73C524F7_1568850316110.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	865129  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Tardis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrobin View Post
I just bought a 2016 M4 Convertible from a dealer. I have two questions I'm hoping the group can help me with. It has an aftermarket exhaust with blue titanium tips. It's super loud. I'm not sure how to identify what it is or whether or not it's offering anything other and acoustic/aesthetic compliments vs performance. Also, when I start the car, the instrument cluster displays GTS before disappearing. Obviously it's not a GTS. Is this standard? Does this mean the car has been tuned? Any easy way to find out? The car drives like a dream, so this is in no way a complaint. I'm just really curious about every little detail. I've included a couple of pictures although I'm not sure they help much. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
First of all, Congratulations!

As for the exhaust, unless you put it on the Dyno. and get under there and see if there's any branding,
there's no way to tell. The tips alone, could have easily been replaced. If they're turning blue, they
could be Ti. There's a Japanese exhaust ("IPC" - ?) that offers this.

The cluster showing, "GTS" is indicative of it having been coded to show this, not necessarily tuned.

You can have a dealership plug it in to "ISTA" and they can easily tell you if it has been (flash) tuned.

Cheers!

Old 10-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
You can have a dealership plug it in to "ISTA" and they can easily tell you if it has been (flash) tuned.

:
and at that point the dealer notes this fact in your records and any drivetrain warranty is voided

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: Tardis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
and at that point the dealer notes this fact in your records and any drivetrain warranty is voided
"2016" - Used... Original Warranty not tranferrable.

OP should know what warranty coverage he got from the "dealer" where he bought it.

It's his post/his query. I just provided a route to resolution. What did you provide?!?

That dealership sold him the car in its' current condition, so there really should be no
problem with him wanting to inquire about the cars' history albeit, this should have
been done prior to purchase.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
"2016" - Used... Original Warranty not tranferrable.

OP should know what warranty coverage he got from the "dealer" where he bought it.

It's his post/his query. I just provided a route to resolution. What did you provide?!?

That dealership sold him the car in its' current condition, so there really should be no
problem with him wanting to inquire about the cars' history albeit, this should have
been done prior to purchase.

so the 4/50 BMW warranty isnt transferrable?

I pointed out you are talking out of your _ _ _ _. Sometimes that can be even more valuable that fanboi nonsense.

A 'dealer' is not BMWNA/AG. If the dealer sold it with mods that void the BMWNA warranty, there is ZERO assurance that the dealer will help. Indeed I was involved with a car that was sold as a CPO with a DME flash on it. Problems happened, mfg refused saying 'car was modded, warranty is void' Selling (and CPOing) Dealer's response? "You should have inspected the car"

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Last edited by ard; 10-09-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: F80, F86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
so the 4/50 BMW warranty isnt transferrable?

I pointed out you are talking out of your _ _ _ _. Sometimes that can be even more valuable that fanboi nonsense.

A 'dealer' is not BMWNA/AG. If the dealer sold it with mods that void the BMWNA warranty, there is ZERO assurance that the dealer will help. Indeed I was involved with a car that was sold as a CPO with a DME flash on it. Problems happened, mfg refused saying 'car was modded, warranty is void' Selling (and CPOing) Dealer's response? "You should have inspected the car"
The point, never mention the CPO car has mod after you sign the dotted line

I can see the servicing dealer refuse the warranty work, cause as far as that dealer goes, how do they know the mod was put it by original owner or current owner. MOD always means Warranty voided
Old 10-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
The point, never mention the CPO car has mod after you sign the dotted line

I can see the servicing dealer refuse the warranty work, cause as far as that dealer goes, how do they know the mod was put it by original owner or current owner. MOD always means Warranty voided
Just to put a point on it..in the case I was mentioning the selling dealer CPO'd the car, with a flash on it, and when the engine failed, that same dealer handled the failure- the mfg refused to help and neither did the dealer.

"You F-ed up Flounder, you trusted us."

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search