Bought an X5 today - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-28-2019, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i & 06 X5 3.0
Bought an X5 today

Purchased a 2006 3.0 X5 today.

I'd been browsing for a new daily/winter car for awhile and this 2006 3.0 with only 84k miles on it popped up online at a local dealer yesterday.

Went and took a look today and it was in very good shape, so I decided to but it. Very minimal deffects on the paint and interior is in good shape. Titanium silver with gray interior.

I previously owned a 2001 325xi, actually in the exact same colors, so things look a bit familiar. Currently have a 2008 335i that is my "weekend" car.

Hoping this will serve me well, feels very solid and is a much nicer drive on the highway than most other SUVs. Will mostly be using it for around town type stuff and some dirt roads for camping and mountain biking.

Any good resourced I can look into to find out more about the car? Also, anyone have any recommendations for a rear seat protector for a pet? For my 335i I have a BMW made one that is specifically fit to the seats, would love something similar for the x5, but not sure they made one.

Anything specific I should look out for? Think i'm going to do the diffs, transfer case and trans fluid shortly.

Last edited by MiniXP; 09-28-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniXP View Post
Purchased a 2006 3.0 X5 today.

I'd been browsing for a new daily/winter car for awhile and this 2006 3.0 with only 84k miles on it popped up online at a local dealer yesterday.

Went and took a look today and it was in very good shape, so I decided to but it. Very minimal deffects on the paint and interior is in good shape. Titanium silver with gray interior.

I previously owned a 2001 325xi, actually in the exact same colors, so things look a bit familiar. Currently have a 2008 335i that is my "weekend" car.

Hoping this will serve me well, feels very solid and is a much nicer drive on the highway than most other SUVs. Will mostly be using it for around town type stuff and some dirt roads for camping and mountain biking.

Any good resourced I can look into to find out more about the car? Also, anyone have any recommendations for a rear seat protector for a pet? For my 335i I have a BMW made one that is specifically fit to the seats, would love something similar for the x5, but not sure they made one.

Anything specific I should look out for? Think i'm going to do the diffs, transfer case and trans fluid shortly.

Nice. According to BMW you don't need to change your transmission fluid. That is the subject of much debate on the BMW forums. I recommend you get a Bentley manual and a scanning tool like the Foxwell Nt510. It will be the best $150 you spend on your truck. Welcome to X5 ownership. Care for them properly and they will last a long time. I have 225,000 miles on mine. Also, recommend you DYI as much as you possibly can or you will end up spending far more money on repairs than you need to. And there will be repairs.

In about 15,000 miles you are probably going to need a suspension refresh. That's about $1,200 in parts. If you pay someone to do that work it could cost you $3,000 all in.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335i & 06 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
Nice. According to BMW you don't need to change your transmission fluid. That is the subject of much debate on the BMW forums. I recommend you get a Bentley manual and a scanning tool like the Foxwell Nt510. It will be the best $150 you spend on your truck. Welcome to X5 ownership. Care for them properly and they will last a long time. I have 225,000 miles on mine. Also, recommend you DYI as much as you possibly can or you will end up spending far more money on repairs than you need to. And there will be repairs.

In about 15,000 miles you are probably going to need a suspension refresh. That's about $1,200 in parts. If you pay someone to do that work it could cost you $3,000 all in.
Yea I need to pick up a Bentley Manual for this, have one for my e90 already. I used INPA with my e46 for scanning, so I need to try to get that up and running again with this.

I'm a believer in changing the trans and diff fluids, against BMW's recommendation. Although this is my first auto BMW, so that will be a different job than I'm use to.

I actually had a suspension refresh priced out before I even went to look at the car, as I assumed I'd need that soon if it hasn't been done already. Seems pretty solid right now though. It's been an NC car its whole like. The roads down here are generally pretty smooth, so I'm hoping I'll get some more mileage out of the suspension compared to average.

I looked at front control arms, shocks and sway bar end links, as that is what I remembers going out on my e46. Anything else I should look at or are those the average parts that wear out on these as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 10:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniXP View Post
Yea I need to pick up a Bentley Manual for this, have one for my e90 already. I used INPA with my e46 for scanning, so I need to try to get that up and running again with this.

I'm a believer in changing the trans and diff fluids, against BMW's recommendation. Although this is my first auto BMW, so that will be a different job than I'm use to.

I actually had a suspension refresh priced out before I even went to look at the car, as I assumed I'd need that soon if it hasn't been done already. Seems pretty solid right now though. It's been an NC car its whole like. The roads down here are generally pretty smooth, so I'm hoping I'll get some more mileage out of the suspension compared to average.

I looked at front control arms, shocks and sway bar end links, as that is what I remembers going out on my e46. Anything else I should look at or are those the average parts that wear out on these as well?
Rear ball joints wear out and when they do you will have trouble getting the rear camber into spec. I did a full refresh on mine at about 140,000 miles. Front and rear control arms, sway bar links, all ball joints and the rear subframe bushings. Turned out I didn't really need to do the subframe bushings, but I had already purchased them and torn things apart so I went ahead. If you do the rear ball joints spend the money on the special tool. the "universal" tools will not work. There is a bolster on the rear carrier that requires the tool to have a flat spot to clear it. removal and replacement is a 10 minute job with the tool and all but impossible without.

When you get to 100,000 pay close attention to your cooling system. It seems to be about the time the expansion tank lets go and maybe the water pump. Most people replace everything then as a preventative measure.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search